PDA

View Full Version : Video racing games may spur risky driving: study

OWA
03-19-07, 10:53 AM
Thought this article was kind of interesting. I found a blurb on the Inq but below is the real link. I'll have to see if I feel the urge to just knock cars out of the way since I've been playing a lot of TDU lately. :)

http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSN1824001120070318

Small quote from the article:

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - People who play car racing video games may be more prone to drive recklessly and get into accidents, according to a study that adds to evidence that video games can influence the behavior of some players.

The study by German researchers published on Sunday examined the effect these games, featuring realistic driving environments with players often racing through city and suburban traffic, affect people who play them.

|MaguS|
03-19-07, 11:03 AM
I know that since I have been driving my skills in driving games has improved. :o

OWA
03-19-07, 11:05 AM
If it's true, maybe they could offset some of that by making it more realistic. Instead of having crashes that basically do nothing, have body parts laying all over the place, crumpled cars and make the player wait a while for the ambulance, police, etc. to arrive before continuing. When I took driver's ed in school, one part of it was showing very gruesome videos of car wrecks, I guess trying to scare you into being a careful driver. So basically, try to incorporate that kind of thing in the game but make it irritating enough that people aren't crashing just to see the gore :).

lumpyhed
03-19-07, 02:00 PM
This explains the results of my driving test... :bleh:

/me flings PGR3 case across the room
(throwpc)

DRen72
03-19-07, 02:27 PM
If it's true, maybe they could offset some of that by making it more realistic. Instead of having crashes that basically do nothing, have body parts laying all over the place, crumpled cars and make the player wait a while for the ambulance, police, etc. to arrive before continuing. When I took driver's ed in school, one part of it was showing very gruesome videos of car wrecks, I guess trying to scare you into being a careful driver. So basically, try to incorporate that kind of thing in the game but make it irritating enough that people aren't crashing just to see the gore :).

Do they even have any of these type games yet that show realistic car damage when you clip something for example? Last time I played one of these was GT3 on a PS2 and we could smack guard rails, etc and basically keep on going. I always wanted to see some realistic damage at least. I haven't picked up a driving game since then.

ynnek
03-19-07, 02:33 PM
The driving sims for PC do a better job modeling damage, in the scope of racing simulation purposes at least. Still, not too much in environmental(if any?) and "eyecandy" graphics.

What about that "demolition derby" game, forgot its name? I never played it but that seemed to have cool graphics when it came to damage.

Bman212121
03-19-07, 02:37 PM
Do they even have any of these type games yet that show realistic car damage when you clip something for example? Last time I played one of these was GT3 on a PS2 and we could smack guard rails, etc and basically keep on going. I always wanted to see some realistic damage at least. I haven't picked up a driving game since then.

There are many other games that do have damage in them, but IMO this is one of the nicer things about GT. It is an object of realism, but I think it detracts away from racing when you can't even bump something.

I personally think it is the opposite for me, if I can get my fun out of roasting the tires in game, I'm not going to do it in real life because it costs money. I would never even think of doing some of the things that I'd do in a racing game in real life either. The only thing though that is funny is I am more consious of how I'm taking turns, and try to run the best line. :)

OWA
03-19-07, 03:05 PM
Flatout and Motorstorm show a lot of damage but I thought it general, the games couldn't show realistic damage with real-life cars for some marketing reason (i.e. the manufacturers didn't want people to see their cars mangled or something like that).

mojoman0
03-19-07, 03:22 PM
I found myself wanting to drive everywhere after beating GTA vice city. No joke, i believe the subject.

Bman212121
03-19-07, 03:26 PM
I found myself wanting to drive everywhere after beating GTA vice city. No joke, i believe the subject.

I could understand that, as long as you know what is right from wrong their won't be problems, but if you start driving down the sidewalks picking off people, then there might be a concern.

As for the subject I can see where it is true, but you should know better than to believe you can hit a wall head on at 180mph and jump out of the car before it explodes.

ynnek
03-19-07, 03:29 PM
Heh.. this all draws very similar parallels to the past..

Back in the 1770's the argued a book http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sorrows_of_Young_Werther
was detrimental to society cause supposidly 2000 men in Europe copied his actions. The "Werther-Fieber" effect. So they banned the book for a while.

Fast foward approx, 250 years later.. Instead of books, its now tv and video games.

Thats progress.. :)

Edge
03-19-07, 09:27 PM
Carmageddon 2 was pretty good in that regard. Although, not a particularly good game to play if you want to learn how to be a responsible driver...

ynnek
03-19-07, 09:33 PM
Heh.. the original DeathTrack

http://www.greatgamesexperiment.com/game/deathtrack

mojoman0
03-19-07, 11:32 PM
And don't tell me you've never attempted anything from Jackass