PDA

View Full Version : switching mobo's with same chipset?

Labyrinth
03-19-07, 02:06 PM
Ok..here's my n00blet moment for the day..

If I'm switching mobo's with the same chipset, will I still need to do a format and new install of Windows?

Or do you think it would "hot swap"?

(i.e. going from a Asus Striker Extreme to an EVGA 680i mobo?)

Tr1cK
03-19-07, 02:58 PM
I don't believe you have to do a format.

This is the exact reason I run an add-in RAID card. Ive used the same install through many upgrades with no issues.

einstein_314
03-19-07, 04:18 PM
I'd say you should be okay....

$n][pErMan
03-19-07, 04:58 PM
technically if you uninstall all of the old drivers (and it must be every last one) you should be able to switch out a mobo with a whole new chipset all together. I enjoy doing a fresh install though every so often anyways to keep things clean :)

Rummy
03-19-07, 06:33 PM
I recently swapped out a 965p ds3 for a p5b and all I had to do was reactivate windows. I didn't have to format

Tr1cK
03-20-07, 08:31 AM
[pErMan']technically if you uninstall all of the old drivers (and it must be every last one) you should be able to switch out a mobo with a whole new chipset all together. I enjoy doing a fresh install though every so often anyways to keep things clean :)

I have ran into problems when switching chipsets that have different drive controllers, like going from an Intel chipset to an Nvidia one. Even after uninstalling all the old drivers, it was like windows couldnt find itself after it would start booting and then do a hard reset on its own.

jcniest5
03-20-07, 11:01 AM
Believe it or not, I just did a complete platform switch without reinstalling Windows XP Pro (going from NF4 SLI chipset to Intel P965). No BSOD, no lock, no problem whatsoever, so I said to myself, "The heck with new installation." I only did some driver refresh and uninstalled some old drivers (after it was running stable with the new chipset already), but other than that, it was a POC.

Sem
03-20-07, 12:52 PM
it depends on what other hardware you got but you should be fine

i went from a EVGA 680i to a Asus P5N32-E and then back to the EVGA 680i without any issue