PDA

View Full Version : uninstalling zalman 9500 from evga 680i

kevJ420
03-19-07, 05:19 PM
Hello,
1. I was wondering what I would have to do to uninstall, after taking the side of the case off, of course.

2. Do I have to remove the backplate to install a pushpin cooler?

3. what about the as5 already applied? How do I not damage the cpu when taking the zalman off of the cpu? This is my most urgent question. I hear about people doing it all of the time, of course, but what exactly do I do?

Finally, Help is greatly appreciated, my idle temps may be in the 50s on a e6300 at stock clocks.

Burner_Tbird2
03-19-07, 05:28 PM
If you're putting a non-zalman heat sink in its place you'll have to remove the backplate to put the new backplate from your new heat sink in place. If you're putting on another Zalman product the backplates are the same.

Regardless of which heatsink you reinstall you'll want to clean the heatsink and the proc with a cleaning agent b/f doing so. See the Arctic Silver site for approved cleaning agents or buy the AS cleaning kit from NewEgg.com (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835100010)

The AS5 should not stick to the proc when you remove the heat sink, just do it gently and with a twisting motion and you stand little chance of detaching the heat spreader from the proc.

SlieTheSecond
03-19-07, 09:01 PM
It's kinda difficult to rip something out along with the heat sink.
AS5 is a grease. It doesn't turn into a solid and isn't adhesive. It will stick a little depending on the temperature (if you remove the heat sink immediately after turning off the computer it should just come off like butter).

Also since you are using a C2D. The plate is held down by the clip on the motherboard which further reduces the chance of damage.

But like Burner_Tbird2 said. If it doesn't pull off, twist slightly back and forth till it comes off.

stevemedes
03-19-07, 09:40 PM
It's kinda difficult to rip something out along with the heat sink.

LOL, i did this by accident with my S754 system. Wasnt a fun feeling holding the heatsink in my hand with the CPU still on it.

kevJ420
03-19-07, 09:42 PM
Thanks for answering my questions=)

would a push pin cooler which has no backplate have to have the zalman's back plate removed, or can it stay on there?

$n][pErMan
03-19-07, 11:23 PM
AS5 is a grease. It doesn't turn into a solid and isn't adhesive. It will stick a little depending on the temperature (if you remove the heat sink immediately after turning off the computer it should just come off like butter).
^^^^ Exactly... unless of course you got thermal glue... in which case it would be an issue. But if you used just your standard AC5 from newegg or your local store it hsould come off just as easy as the generic crap they give you with the HSF to begin with. Also... at 50c idle I would say your HSF was never seated right in the first place. I had a problem with that once where my temps were very high... I reseated the HSF and it worked wonders. Someitmes you get a glob of thermal paste that messes up the contact or the HSF comes loose because the mounting was loose.

SlieTheSecond
03-20-07, 01:46 AM
LOL, i did this by accident with my S754 system. Wasnt a fun feeling holding the heatsink in my hand with the CPU still on it.

Oh I have done it with AMD chips. Pulled the pins right out from the motherboard while the cpu was still clamped down (didn't break any pins off the cpu tho :p )

But we are talking about a C2D here. Where the flap goes over top the cpu and locks into place.
Maby I should have said that.

Absolution
03-20-07, 03:19 PM
I did that too with a socket 939 + one of the flower zalman fans

reguardless, it worked fine after that