PDA

View Full Version : folded developers.

kevJ420
03-19-07, 07:05 PM
Does anyone particularly miss a folded developement studio?

I would have to say Iguana is the one I miss the absolute most.

On the other hand, it would take me forever to remember all of the development studios that folded, so I actually may like a few the same as or even more than Iguana, but they aren't coming to mind now.

Anyways, it sucks that there won't ever be an Aero the Acrobat 3.

Also, I have an Iguana related question. Does anyone know why the Clintons are in the home versions (maybe excluding the Jaguar version, which was done by High Voltage) if Senator Clinton hates games so much?

I think it was because the SNES one was developed by the U.K. Iguana team, and the Genesis one by the U.S. team of Iguana (the other ports didn't come out until later in 1995.)

What they did was both versions had both the clintons of the U.S. and the prince and princess of the U.K., so I guess that had something to do with it, but I don't know for sure.

OWA
03-19-07, 07:53 PM
Can you make this a multiple-choice test? I can't recall any at the moment but I'm sure there is someone I miss.

stevemedes
03-20-07, 02:23 AM
Does Rare still make games? They made my fav game of all time, Goldeneye for N64.

karkrash81
03-20-07, 09:01 AM
Rare still makes tons of games...most recently Kameo, Perfect Dark Zero, Viva Pinata, and working on a new Banjo Kazooie game...

ViN86
03-20-07, 10:54 AM
Iguana was the studio that produced NBA Jam :lol:

what an awesome game. :D

|MaguS|
03-20-07, 10:57 AM
Through The Looking Glass Studios, Bullfrog, Psygnosis

So want another Colony Wars. :(

nrs421
03-20-07, 11:18 AM
westwood, micropose

Xion X2
03-20-07, 12:28 PM
So want another Colony Wars. :(

Me too. Colony Wars was badass.

jAkUp
03-20-07, 12:32 PM
Psygnosis and Looking Glass Studios are my pick

OWA
03-20-07, 12:33 PM
Uh...yeah, mine too. :)

CaptNKILL
03-20-07, 01:48 PM
Westwood (C&C, Bladerunner), Papyrus (NASCAR Racing, SODA Offroad, Indy Car Racing...), Appeal (Outcast), Gremlin (Realms of the Haunting), Origin (Crusader), BlueSky (Shadowrun for Genesis), Beam Software (Shadowrun for SNES), Bullfrog (Syndicate), Ion Storm (Deus Ex, Deus Ex IW), Mucky Foot (Startopia), Headfirst (Call of Cthulhu)...

*sigh*

:(

Most of the best games I've ever played are from companies that are now defunct, even the most recent ones like Call of Cthulhu (Headfirst).

$n][pErMan
03-20-07, 02:00 PM
What about Cave Dog?? I miss total annihilation... that would have been a badass remake on todays graphics.

LORD-eX-Bu
03-20-07, 02:15 PM
Origin, Looking Glass Studios :(

jAkUp
03-20-07, 02:58 PM
[pErMan']What about Cave Dog?? I miss total annihilation... that would have been a badass remake on todays graphics.

Supreme Commander :)

Epyx
03-20-07, 03:17 PM
Origin, Looking Glass Studios

Amen brother... :(

Both these companies were pivotal in giving us things we now take for granted.

I remember playing Ultima IV and marvelling at how much better the game was than Ultima III and any other RPG at the time. Sure games like Might and Magic offered tons of stats and items but there was little "roleplaying".

I remember System Shock (and recently started playing it again) for being so far ahead of its time. Action RPG with stealth elements years before it became the "in" thing...and a 3d engine that put Doom's engine to shame imho...

I remember Autoduel and how cool it was (simple graphics aside) to build up my car and do courier missions while avoiding Mad Max style bandits...

Thankfully the players of some of these studios are still with us. I look forward (cautiously) to Tabula Rasa (courtesy Garriot) and Bio Shock (LGS remnants..).

Of course I have to add two more to my list...Epyx. /sniff

Summer Games
Winter Games
Jumpman
Gateway to Apshai
and countless other top notch titles...

and SSI

Phantasie I/II
Questron
AD&D Goldbox series
Panzer General
etc

Capt. Picard
03-20-07, 03:43 PM

Looking Glass sounds familiar. They're quite old aren't they, meaning sub 2000? What did they make?

LORD-eX-Bu
03-20-07, 03:48 PM
:headexplode:

Epyx
03-20-07, 04:44 PM
Looking Glass sounds familiar. They're quite old aren't they, meaning sub 2000? What did they make?

Picard you are probably very young so... ;)

F-22 Interceptor for the Sega Genesis (1991)
Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss (1992)
Car and Driver (1992)
John Madden Football '93 for the Sega Genesis (1992)
Ultima Underworld II: Labyrinth of Worlds (1993)
System Shock (1994)
Flight Unlimited (1995)
Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri (1996)
British Open Championship Golf (1997)
Flight Unlimited II (1997)
Thief: The Dark Project (1998)
Thief Gold (1999)
Command and Conquer for the Nintendo 64 (1999)
System Shock 2 (1999) (assisting Irrational Games)
Flight Unlimited III (1999)
Destruction Derby 64 for the Nintendo 64 (1999)
Thief II: The Metal Age (2000)

I have been scolded for saying that System Shock did more for first person games than Doom but I stand by my comments. Doom had more commercial success but look at its evolution...Doom 3 == a rail shooter with carnival style fright spawns... (I still like it though in its own way...)

Now take a look at System Shock successors (some spiritual) Deus Eux, Thief, Half Life, Bioshock /prepares for flame onslaught...

$n][pErMan
03-20-07, 08:16 PM
Supreme Commander :)
No sh!t?!? I just got that game for free from zipzoomfly when I ordered my parts.... lol. I hope its good :D

Zelda_fan
03-20-07, 08:19 PM
Picard you are probably very young so... ;)

F-22 Interceptor for the Sega Genesis (1991)
Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss (1992)
Car and Driver (1992)
John Madden Football '93 for the Sega Genesis (1992)
Ultima Underworld II: Labyrinth of Worlds (1993)
System Shock (1994)
Flight Unlimited (1995)
Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri (1996)
British Open Championship Golf (1997)
Flight Unlimited II (1997)
Thief: The Dark Project (1998)
Thief Gold (1999)
Command and Conquer for the Nintendo 64 (1999)
System Shock 2 (1999) (assisting Irrational Games)
Flight Unlimited III (1999)
Destruction Derby 64 for the Nintendo 64 (1999)
Thief II: The Metal Age (2000)

I have been scolded for saying that System Shock did more for first person games than Doom but I stand by my comments. Doom had more commercial success but look at its evolution...Doom 3 == a rail shooter with carnival style fright spawns... (I still like it though in its own way...)

Now take a look at System Shock successors (some spiritual) Deus Eux, Thief, Half Life, Bioshock /prepares for flame onslaught...

QFT, looking glass made some of the greatest games ever to grace the PC. Shame they went under.

Parts
03-20-07, 09:51 PM
id have to say looking glass aswell

and pre-EA DICE only because BF1942 was so great and everything after EA got in there hasnt been good.

and Troika because of Bloodlines.

Sectus
03-20-07, 10:42 PM
Looking Glass is definitely my pick.

Does Rare still make games? They made my fav game of all time, Goldeneye for N64.
You should check out the Timesplitters series. Similar to Goldeneye for 64 and many of the same people worked on both games.

jAkUp
03-20-07, 11:42 PM
[pErMan']No sh!t?!? I just got that game for free from zipzoomfly when I ordered my parts.... lol. I hope its good :D

Supreme Commander is the "spiritual successor" of TA. Actually made by the same guy ;)

kevJ420
03-21-07, 12:33 PM
Westwood (C&C, Bladerunner), Papyrus (NASCAR Racing, SODA Offroad, Indy Car Racing...), Appeal (Outcast), Gremlin (Realms of the Haunting), Origin (Crusader), BlueSky (Shadowrun for Genesis), Beam Software (Shadowrun for SNES), Bullfrog (Syndicate), Ion Storm (Deus Ex, Deus Ex IW), Mucky Foot (Startopia), Headfirst (Call of Cthulhu)...

*sigh*

:(

Most of the best games I've ever played are from companies that are now defunct, even the most recent ones like Call of Cthulhu (Headfirst).

Gremlin would be good to still be around for a zool 3.

Blue Sky was one of Sega's best 2nd parties and knew how to push the genesis past it's limits better than anyone else. Jurassic Park, 32X's Spider Web of Fire, Desert Demolition had great graphics, why aren't all of their great looking games coming to my mind.

Is it true that you can get a game bit screwdriver and just replace genesis games' batteries w/ a standard cr2032? If so, then I think i might buy shadowrun.

Beam software pty. did a damn good job improving Lost Vikings 2 for the Sega Sat, PC, and PS. I wish Blizzard would make a 3rd one, since they made it long before warcraft ever came out (when they were Silicon and Synapse.)