PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with using sram for aa?

kevJ420
03-20-07, 01:54 PM
I've been wondering why for a long, long time why no one uses SRAM for aa. Why don't they do that, so not only can you make the aa be 3dfx style, but you'll get more speed (for those who are worried about speed, I'm not because I'm the only one in the world that doesn't care about framerates, unless they're like in the teens 80% of the time)

They could use 1T-SRAM, which means it wouldn't take up pcb space. They could even embed it in the gpu.

Also, high cost isn't a good reason to not do it.

It would add about $150 to the price for like 128 MB. Nintendo uses it, so it's gotta to be cost-effective.

It would also not generate much heat.

DarkOneX
03-20-07, 06:20 PM
So that'd be an extra $300 for a 256MB card on top of the already $300+ cost? No thanks.

kevJ420
03-20-07, 07:13 PM
So that'd be an extra $300 for a 256MB card on top of the already $300+ cost? No thanks.

<= $150 more not 300. 128 MB of 1T-SRAM would also be independent of memory used for everything else, i failed to note that.

So it would just make the price of the highest-end graphics card $800-850. They could possibly do away with sli if this was done.

If a person is concerned about price, then save up for it. Having money for the best graphics card you can buy is more important than most things people can buy.

ynnek
03-20-07, 07:22 PM
i'm a bit confused.. how would this actually work?

einstein_314
03-20-07, 09:30 PM
i'm a bit confused.. how would this actually work?
I too am confused....but then I saw who started the thread....and realized that being confused was inevitable :D

Dazz
03-20-07, 09:44 PM
As nice as SRAM is it is really too expensive which is why Consoles never use more then 32MB.

Wolfhound
03-23-07, 02:14 PM
SRAM? AA? a ok kevpla.... :wtf: :screwy:

SlieTheSecond
03-23-07, 04:41 PM
If a person is concerned about price, then save up for it. Having money for the best graphics card you can buy is more important than most things people can buy.

If buying an extremely expensive computer chip to display graphics is the most important, or one of the most important things you can buy. You need to get outside during sunlight more often.

I have no problem with current AA and current ram.
But then again my life mission isn't to seek out graphics that rival the real world.

jolle
03-24-07, 07:58 AM
But then again my life mission isn't to seek out graphics that rival the real world.
Altho you´re not the one building GPUs, so your stance on it isnt really relevant.

But for AA use the Xenos uses 10mb EDRAM which seems to work ok.
Bitboys had a prototyp back in 2000 or so with 12mb EDRAM aswell, and that is perhaps a solution closer to the PC platform, tho it has to be a bit bigger to maintain compatiblity with the high (and growing) resolution framebuffers available on the PC (and probably the growing precision levels used FP16 - 32).
Dont know which is cheapest to use tho.
Maybe off die would be better in the end for yields, but then you have the issue with a external bus, the Bitboys EDRAM was on a 1024bit wide bus and offered alot of bandwith.

What would be the pros and cons compared to EDRAM? (Embeded SRAM would be ESRAM then? hehe)

kevJ420
03-24-07, 06:00 PM
Altho you´re not the one building GPUs, so your stance on it isnt really relevant.

But for AA use the Xenos uses 10mb EDRAM which seems to work ok.
Bitboys had a prototyp back in 2000 or so with 12mb EDRAM aswell, and that is perhaps a solution closer to the PC platform, tho it has to be a bit bigger to maintain compatiblity with the high (and growing) resolution framebuffers available on the PC (and probably the growing precision levels used FP16 - 32).
Dont know which is cheapest to use tho.
Maybe off die would be better in the end for yields, but then you have the issue with a external bus, the Bitboys EDRAM was on a 1024bit wide bus and offered alot of bandwith.

What would be the pros and cons compared to EDRAM? (Embeded SRAM would be ESRAM then? hehe)

Thanks=)

EDRAM is cheaper and not as good since it's still dynamic ram, and then the other problem is, is that it's named too close to the EDO ram from ancient times. It was used for (among other things) the frame and texture buffer on my Diamond Monster 3DII board from 3dfx that I remember fondly.

Dazz
03-24-07, 06:24 PM
Back in them days it was high end. Although consoles use SRAM it's used for more then video it's used as cache for the CPU also.

jolle
03-25-07, 01:11 PM
Thanks=)

EDRAM is cheaper and not as good since it's still dynamic ram, and then the other problem is, is that it's named too close to the EDO ram from ancient times. It was used for (among other things) the frame and texture buffer on my Diamond Monster 3DII board from 3dfx that I remember fondly.
Well being dynamic isnt really a drawback for this purpouse.
I mean if the card loses power its not gonna help any if that portion of it can maintain its data..

kevJ420
03-27-07, 12:34 PM
Well being dynamic isnt really a drawback for this purpouse.
I mean if the card loses power its not gonna help any if that portion of it can maintain its data..

You're thinking of volatile ram if I'm not mistaken. Static is faster than dynamic ram, as far as I know, it's the very fastest ram that exists. When you save a game to the saturn or 3do's sram and then load it from the sram it's smooth as **** and instantaneous. in other words, it's kind of like sram isn't limited by bandwidth. so it's kind of like ram w/ infinite bytes/sec bandwidth.