PDA

View Full Version : chipped a chip?

Absolution
03-20-07, 02:21 PM
Have you ever chipped an exposed die before? say a northbridge die or old cpu die?

How'd it work out?

DiscipleDOC
03-20-07, 02:32 PM
I build a lot of systems, and thank God, I've never had that to happen.:thumbsup:

stevemedes
03-20-07, 02:48 PM
Ahhhh, let me tell a short story:

This was a loooong time ago when I was but a young teenager, building my first rig, a Duron 600 rig. Those were the old old OLD AMD chips with no heatspreaders so the core was exposed, and alot of people in those days chipped off the edges of their cores. Well long story short, that CPU o/ced to 1.2ghz... but I chipped the HELL out of the four sides of the CPU. I mean every side was chipped down, where each side looked like this:

Chip not only worked fine after that, it ran stably at 1.2ghz for about a year.

EDIT: god that little pic i drew came out crappy, sorry.

LORD-eX-Bu
03-20-07, 05:45 PM
:rofl nope been lucky

*knock on wood*

FastRedPonyCar
03-20-07, 06:36 PM
Yeah here's an amusing story. I'm on my 2nd Abit IC7G motherboard right now...

I used to have my machine way overclocked and the abit northbridge fans are notorious for burning out waaay too quick and then causing the machine to lock up once they stop spinning. I decided to take care of things and used some thermal epoxy to cement on an old alpha PAL amd heatsink onto the northbridge chip.

I got a new case so as I was trying to slide the mobo tray out, I didn't realize a power wire had gotten caught on one side of the heat sink that I'd attached to the NB. I thought the tray was just getting stuck on it's rail so I pulled a little harder and then heard a snap as the tray glided out of the case.

The heatsink that was on the NB casually tumbled across the floor...taking half the north bridge chip with it :(

For those who are curious, the inside of the northbridge chip looks like the T1000...all shiny metal looking. It was cool... but not really since those IC7G's are still pretty expensive to replace.

CaptNKILL
03-20-07, 07:05 PM
A friend of mine smashed an old 66Mhz CPU with a hammer once. It was in several pieces and it was embedded into the table... I doubt it worked.

Other than that, I've never "chipped" a "chip". :D

SlieTheSecond
03-20-07, 10:16 PM
This was a loooong time ago when I was but a young teenager, building my first rig, a Duron 600 rig. Those were the old old OLD AMD chips with no heatspreaders so the core was exposed, and alot of people in those days chipped off the edges of their cores. Well long story short, that CPU o/ced to 1.2ghz... but I chipped the HELL out of the four sides of the CPU.

I am curious, how exactly to do you chip it? I mean I've built computers back in day. Making an uber quake 2 gaming rig with exposed cores. I never once chipped anything inside my case.

I have however shorted out my motherboard quite a few times.

jAkUp
03-20-07, 10:49 PM
I chipped a NB on my Asus board. Poor thing died instantly.

stevemedes
03-20-07, 11:18 PM
I am curious, how exactly to do you chip it? I mean I've built computers back in day. Making an uber quake 2 gaming rig with exposed cores. I never once chipped anything inside my case.

I have however shorted out my motherboard quite a few times.

The heatsink I was using at the time (i think it was a Vantec CCK something) had a known issue with the mounting mechanism that made it very easy to chip the core on the CPU. Basically you had to tilt the heatsink to the one side to fasten the one clip, then push the heatsink down level and clip the other side down, and in the process of trying to clip the other side down, you'd chip the core. They used to sell plastic risers that would go on top of the CPU to prevent this, it was quite a problem at the time.

ViN86
03-20-07, 11:25 PM
i chipped an old athlon xp. still ran fine, just took off a little bit of the corner. damn was i lucky lol.

jcniest5
03-21-07, 02:19 AM
Back in 1999 when the Athlon just began its long and windy road, my first ever AMD system (moving from P2 233 Mhz), I bought an OEM Athlon 1.2Ghz (it was heaven at that time!) and using Thermaltake Tunnel/Tornado (something like that) HS, I chipped off one corner and the chip died. Those Ttake HS at that time was like really hard to install. I called AMD and begged like a slave and the lady that helped me sent me a 900 Mhz to replace my dead one even though mine was an OEM and they aren't suppose to support. I build my system based on Asus A7V133 or something like that, but I later sold it.

Woodelf
03-30-07, 06:46 AM
I've chipped about 5 Athlons. usually after a long time running, then removing the heat sink. As though they got brittle with age (6 Mo+). Once they were chipped, they became easier to chip too. only the rally bad ones didn't load windows or had random crashing (2 of them). the others are still being used. I'm glad they finally use spreaders now.

CoolZone
03-30-07, 07:20 AM
chipped an athlon tbird 1.2Ghz after reseating the HSF.

Vik1dk
03-30-07, 07:56 AM
Two XPs a 1700+ and a 2000+ both died. Then i cut a corner of a 9800pro while removeing the spacer(?) around the core, with a buck knife(still working):o
Other than that i burned 3XPs(with smoke, damn what a smell) in 2 hours due to a faulty mobo.:rolleyes: After the 3rd cpu i went to the store and told them to give it a try, they looked at me, then said "hell no" and i got a new mobo and cpu :D