PDA

View Full Version : 680i + 8800gtx sli = lockups?

Gristy
03-20-07, 04:31 PM
Hi,

I got this response from someone who has a similar rig to me as to why we are getting lockups:

It is infact a driver issue which is happening due to the drivers waiting for the GFX cards to become idle when rendering 3d apps such as games. it occurs due to an infinite loop that is caused within the NV4_Disp.dll and NV4_mini.sys files because the drivers wanting the GFX cards to be idle but the card is still rendering the 3d app so a crash or "Blue Screen" occurs.

Apparently this only occurs with 8800 SLI on a 680I Motherboard, i have tested this with my ASUS A8N-SLI which is an NForce 4 Chipset and this error does not occur, even with the latest drivers.

i guess we are all still waiting for NVIDIA to do something about it

Anyone else got similar experience? We are both using Striker Extremes and E6600 CPUs. Bit frustrating and looks like ill be getting rid of my second GTX soon.

jAkUp
03-20-07, 04:43 PM
What O.S.?

If Windows XP, try the 97.95 drivers.

Xion X2
03-20-07, 05:04 PM
Occasionally mine will blue-screen. It's just a driver issue they'll have to fix with the next release.

And I think jakup means the 97.92 drivers, not 97.95. I'm sure it's just a typo but I wanted to clarify it.

jAkUp
03-20-07, 05:36 PM
You can get the 97.95 drivers here:

ftp://evga.com/driver/WinXP32bit_97_95.zip

Xion X2
03-20-07, 06:04 PM
What's different about those in comparison to the 97.92s, jakup? I've never heard of these before.

Gristy
03-20-07, 06:30 PM
i havent tried those ive been using 97.92 and WindowsXP, i dont like lock ups etc so it looks like i may be trading the card for a laptop.

only blue screen that i had was once when hitting the power button after it had locked up. but obvisouly as i was powering off was unable to see what was the issue. all the other times it has just been a straight lockup and totally at random but consistent enough to make it very frustrating.

Xion X2
03-20-07, 09:24 PM
Well, I hate to be so blunt, but if one of your main goals this entire time was 100% stability then you shouldn't have gone 680i in the first place. It's a brand new chipset, and people have had problem after problem with it since it was launched last November. On top of that, SLI, although better this gen by leaps and bounds, is still a newer tech that they haven't ironed all the bugs out of. That includes both its implementation and through chipsets.

If you want absolute 100% stability around the clock, you go with an Intel single-card chipset. It's that simple.

To be honest, when I heard you say the words "blue screen," I wasn't the least bit surprised. Quite common with SLI boards and with the 680i in particular. Try having 3 of them die on you in 3 months like I have. What I wouldn't give for just an occasional blue screen here or there...

J-Mag
03-21-07, 08:51 PM
What's different about those in comparison to the 97.92s, jakup? I've never heard of these before.

According to guru3d (they just posted this today too).

Posted by Hilbert Hagedoorn

We stumbled into a new NVIDIA forceware driver with revision build 97.95. In it's original file-size the archive was over 55 MB, we have recompresed the set and it's now at 35 MB

The binaries have been virus and pest checked. Should you try out these drivers then be sure to visit our dedicated forum thread in which you can discuss the positives and negatives on these drivers.

This driver is supposed to help prevent random nv4_disp.dll BSOD on EVGA 680i mobos with 8800 graphics cards running XP32.

Again, originally is a Geforce 8800 driver.

NVIDIA_G80.DEV_0191.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX"
NVIDIA_G80.DEV_0193.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS"

gstanford
03-25-07, 07:48 AM
I wish people would not generalise about things.

My current SLI machine (Abit KN8 SLI + 2 7900GT 512mb + 2gig corsair memory, S939 3800+ non overclocked) has been the absolute last word in reliability and problem free computing since it was built.

Gristy
03-26-07, 05:07 PM
okay, but we are talking about Intel and 680i chipset with 8800gtx. not AMD/7900 etc

gstanford
03-26-07, 08:06 PM
okay, but we are talking about Intel and 680i chipset with 8800gtx. not AMD/7900 etc

i was commenting on what Xion X2 said:
On top of that, SLI, although better this gen by leaps and bounds, is still a newer tech that they haven't ironed all the bugs out of. That includes both its implementation and through chipsets.
To be honest, when I heard you say the words "blue screen," I wasn't the least bit surprised. Quite common with SLI boards

Maybe it is more common with 680i (I'll find out for myself real soon), but SLI in general is rock solid so long as you use quality components.

Xion X2
03-26-07, 09:37 PM
gstanford, did you look at my signature? I own SLI, so I'm well aware of its positives/negatives.

Specifically, I was talking about the 680i chipsets; I thought I made that quite clear.

And I'm not quite sure how "rock solid" you're trying to claim SLI has been over the past year or so, but it's had its problems. I've had SLI both on the 7-series and 8-series, and it is much better with the 8-series. One problem in particular with 7-series SLI is sometimes the screen wouldn't sync properly--even with vsync enabled. I haven't seen this any with 8-series SLI so far. SLI on the 8-series feels just like playing a game on a single card. It's virtually perfect except for the few games that aren't optimized for it.

gstanford
03-26-07, 10:26 PM
Yes, I know you have SLI.

I'm not saying SLI is perfect (its not, but you can workaround most problems in one way or another).

I have been using SLI for over a year now and as I first stated, stability wise, my SLI machine has been rock solid, in fact one one of the most trouble free machines I've ever built (not that many of my PC's have given trouble).

680i may be an exception to this (particularly earlier on in its life), but SLI in general, implemented correctly is no less stable in my experience and opinion than a single card machine.

(this coming from someone who was very skeptical about SLI when first introduced by nvidia)

Xion X2
03-26-07, 11:38 PM
We'll have to agree to disagree. I'm an SLI fan now, obviously, but there's no way in heck it is as stable, overall, as a single card setup. That includes 7-series and 8-series.