PDA

View Full Version : Playstation 3 may drop $100 in Price this October

1337_Like_ThaT
03-21-07, 03:17 AM
Seems like Sony may attempt to swap out microprocessors in attempt to drop unit cost. Wonder if this will have a dramatic affect on the system

http://money.cnn.com/2007/03/20/technology/personaltech/playstation/index.htm?postversion=2007032009

Earlier in March, press reports in Japan said Sony is planning to introduce cheaper microprocessor chips for its PS3 to help bring down the price.p

Subtestube
03-21-07, 03:24 AM
It'll be interesting to see if they actually do - let's remember how many times there've been rumours of a 360 price drop, only for it to still not have happened. I guess they are under a lot of pressure from their customers to lower the price. Moreso than MS have been so far, so maybe there's some truth to this.

MarKoNiO
03-21-07, 09:46 AM
October ?
Hmm thatīs too late imo, I think 360 will drop before.

Sony need to start being aggressive, October sounds bad.

|MaguS|
03-21-07, 09:48 AM
October ?
Hmm thatīs too late imo, I think 360 will drop before.

Sony need to start being aggressive, October sounds bad.

I dout X360 will drop since the rumored "upgrade" is going to cost over $450.

Badboy_12345
03-21-07, 10:01 AM
hasnt the x360 already dropped in price once? :confused:
It has here in sweden anyway by 100$

superklye
03-21-07, 10:02 AM
I dout X360 will drop since the rumored "upgrade" is going to cost over $450.
But with that new one out, which MS is undoutedbly going to make a killing on, it would allow them to lower the other models' prices, I'm sure.

Not everyone needs HDMI or a 120GB HDD.

If they lowered to $250/$350, I'm sure that would make a lot of people happier.

|MaguS|
03-21-07, 10:18 AM
I don't see the core unit being around anymore... the premium could drop $50 and they would still have a lead on Sony.

superklye
03-21-07, 10:21 AM
Yeah, I don't know why the even bother keeping the core around other than it must be pure profit since it comes with nothing...the HDD is expensive, wireless controllers are expensive and so forth. They must get their money from the Core in the necessary peripherals.

Marvel_us
03-21-07, 10:29 AM
Yeah, I don't know why the even bother keeping the core around other than it must be pure profit since it comes with nothing...the HDD is expensive, wireless controllers are expensive and so forth. They must get their money from the Core in the necessary peripherals.

Charging 100 bucks for a 20gb HDD should help them balance out the cost.:)

Lyme
03-21-07, 11:34 AM
Seems like Sony may attempt to swap out microprocessors in attempt to drop unit cost. Wonder if this will have a dramatic affect on the system

The story is a little misleading, it refers to the price drop being because of using a cheaper cpu (not to be confused with a less powerful cpu, which it would not be), rather than the change from the current North American PS3 with 4000 parts to a newer design with 2000 parts.
We would hope that this kind of retooling which happens often would only effect: price, size and power consumption. The proof, however is in the pudding, and this change is a long way out.

kevJ420
03-21-07, 11:39 AM
But with that new one out, which MS is undoutedbly going to make a killing on, it would allow them to lower the other models' prices, I'm sure.

Not everyone needs HDMI or a 120GB HDD.

If they lowered to $250/$350, I'm sure that would make a lot of people happier.

Larger HD is only necessary if they're going to use the hard drive to load games.

HDMI is a great idea, b/c it will allow you to play on lcd monitors for pcs and then you don't have to buy an HDTV too. You can just use a HDMI->DVI cable.

superklye
03-21-07, 11:40 AM
Larger HD is only necessary if they're going to use the hard drive to load games.
huh?

How about the new HD movie download service?

RAY16
03-21-07, 11:55 AM
huh?

How about the new HD movie download service?

Not to mention more room for demos and XBLA games (especially useful now that the XBLA size limit has been upped to 250MB).

The $450 black 360 coming out is supposed to be a limited edition, and when they run out of those they'll drop the price back down to $400 and make it white again. After that they will turn the current premium (20GB HD) into the new core, and the 120GB one will be the new premium... at least, that's what I've been reading.

Rumors and speculation give me headaches.

superklye
03-21-07, 12:26 PM
Not to mention more room for demos and XBLA games (especially useful now that the XBLA size limit has been upped to 250MB).

The $450 black 360 coming out is supposed to be a limited edition, and when they run out of those they'll drop the price back down to $400 and make it white again. After that they will turn the current premium (20GB HD) into the new core, and the 120GB one will be the new premium... at least, that's what I've been reading.

Rumors and speculation give me headaches.
wait, really?

if that's case, i'll wait for the white version of this for $400.