PDA

View Full Version : Virtua Tennis 3

Pages : [1] 2

OWA
03-21-07, 04:41 PM
I picked up Virtua Tennis 3 today and it seems really good. The graphics are good, the player models are pretty good and it's really smooth. One thing though, I played a quick exhibition match between Sharapova and Hingis and thought the models look good in general but kind of weird in the hip/butt area at times. Heh, guess I shouldn't be looking there but the weirdness to the motion or the way it looks drew my attention there. Anyway, it's hard to explain without seeing it. The animations and models look great when showing the front and back but I don't know, from the side, the animation and model doesn't look quite right. I'll try to revist Top Spin 2 soon to see which one I prefer.

toxikneedle
03-21-07, 05:52 PM
I loved Top Spin 2, I'd get this if Guitar Hero 2 wouldn't be coming out so soon. Tell me if you like it.

OWA
03-21-07, 09:05 PM
I really like it so far. The graphics are really good (lots of nice details/touches) and the gameplay is a lot of fun. It is very similiar to Top Spin 2 though. It's probably hard to avoid that (how many ways can you make a tennis game). One thing I liked better on Top Spin 2 though is the replay system. In Virtua Tennis 3, you don't have a lot of control over it (if any) and the angles for the replays sometimes aren't very good at all. So, I mostly just bypass them quickly. Even if there was some incredible play, you might not be able to relive it very well with the angle that they choose so their replay system can be kind of pointless. If you have Top Spin 2 already, I'd probably start out by renting Virtua Tennis 3 to see if it's worth it to you.

sytaylor
03-22-07, 09:22 PM
I drove to 3 24 hour supermarkets to try get hold of this tonight. Nothing. Gutted. Getting it tomorrow.

Ruined
03-22-07, 10:59 PM
I've heard a lot of people state they actually like Top Spin 2 better than VT3... I'll have to download the 360 demo and find out myself.

1337_Like_ThaT
03-22-07, 11:08 PM
Virtua Tennis for DC was legendary groundbreaking game for all tennis games :) Ever since then I havn't really gotten back into tennis games but I may have to take a shot at this, especially with the athletes they have included with it

Bman212121
03-22-07, 11:47 PM
I drove to 3 24 hour supermarkets to try get hold of this tonight. Nothing. Gutted. Getting it tomorrow.

Hmm, I saw it in Best Buy today, and looked at it.

Question OWA: How does the split screen work? I think the box stated it can play 4 players, but is it split screen singles or can you play pairs on the same box? (All 4 players at once)

GamerGuyX
03-23-07, 12:27 AM
One thing though, I played a quick exhibition match between Sharapova and Hingis and thought the models look good in general but kind of weird in the hip/butt area at times.

Do you always look at Sharapova and Hingis' hip/butt area when watching tennis?

sytaylor
03-23-07, 09:42 AM
Hmm, I saw it in Best Buy today, and looked at it.

He teases me with his US citizenship.

:(

OWA
03-23-07, 09:57 AM
Do you always look at Sharapova and Hingis' hip/butt area when watching tennis?
Yes, and their chest area when they're waiting for a serve. :p

http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/2222/tengsharapova195tm2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Bman212121, I'll have to try check to see how the split screen works. I haven't tried that yet.

I've heard a lot of people state they actually like Top Spin 2 better than VT3... I'll have to download the 360 demo and find out myself.
I liked Top Spin 1 better than Top Spin 2 and so far I think I like VT3 a little better than Top Spin 2 but I haven't completely made up my mind yet. They seem pretty close so that's why I think anyone that has Top Spin 2 already should try to play a demo or rent VT3 before buying. It might not be different enough to warrant purchasing. Anyway, looking at reviews of Top Spin 2 and Virtua Tennis 3, Virtua Tennis seems to do slightly better but they're pretty close there also.

Edit: Actually, I thought of a better way of describing it from my perspective. Top Spin 1 on the Xbox was one of my favorite games. I felt really comfortable with it. When I got Top Spin 2 on the X360, I loved the improved graphics but the game itself didn't feel right. I just wasn't comfortable playing it and unfortunately, didn't play it enough to feel completely at home with it. With Virtua Tennis, I had never played the earlier ones (VT3 is my first experience with the series) but I picked it right up. Basically, feeling like I was playing a graphically improved version of Top Spin 1 (kind of what I wanted Top Spin 2 to be) and feeling completely at home with it. So, take away the logos and I would have thought VT3 was the successor to Top Spin 1 in the way the game feels and plays.

Along the same lines, I'd imagine the same kind of thing would be true for someone really comfortable with Top Spin 2.

Bman212121
03-23-07, 12:59 PM
He teases me with his US citizenship.

:(

I'm sorry bro. :o

toxikneedle
03-23-07, 01:15 PM
I played this game for a couple of hours, just enough to get my player down to the 200 rank. I gotta say this game is a very poor version of Top Spin 2... even the graphics aren't that much of an imporvement.

and the music is damn terrible.

DMA
03-23-07, 02:41 PM
The graphics are alright. The player animations are pretty much spot on. They've done their homework. :)

Fun playing as Nadal with his powerful forehand. :D

sytaylor
03-23-07, 02:53 PM
I was always a virtua tennis fan. I love that its so very simple to control. The world tours mini games are excellent. Im having fun. Its a worthy sequel to Virtua Tennis 2 which I still played up until yesterday. One note though, it becomes FAR better when you use the dpad. The anologue stick just doesnt work right.

OWA
03-23-07, 03:11 PM
What are you playing it on and what is the symptom of the analog stick not working right? I don't think I've noticed any control issues with the stick so I'm just wondering if I haven't discovered the issue yet or what. I'll try out the dpad anyway to see how it plays using that.

sytaylor
03-23-07, 06:22 PM
360, and no my analogue stick is fine, I just found I have far better control with the Dpad.

OWA
03-23-07, 07:14 PM
Ah, okay. I'll definitely give that a shot (using the dpad). BTW, how is the online play?

sytaylor
03-23-07, 08:55 PM
Not tried it yet, enjoying world tour... Although the vs mini games are awesome. I am the man at curling.

OWA
03-24-07, 10:04 PM
Question OWA: How does the split screen work? I think the box stated it can play 4 players, but is it split screen singles or can you play pairs on the same box? (All 4 players at once)
I don't have 4 controllers so I couldn't try 4 players. With 2 players though, it isn't split screen. You both seem the same thing. The perspective is fine so I really don't think split-screen is needed. I could see both sides of the court just fine.

Peoples-Agent
03-25-07, 05:16 PM
Sheesh, I don't even like tennis ..infact it bores me to death, but this game is just sooooooo much fun.

Greatly suprised, and definately makes a change from my usual games that involve shooting things.

Picked up NBA Street Homecourt too, which is also great fun... reminds me of NBA Jam.

sytaylor
03-25-07, 06:28 PM
Better than 2k7?

Peoples-Agent
03-25-07, 09:30 PM
Better than 2k7?

Well, depends on whether you like more of a simulation or not.

I like it simply because it's OTT... if you remember NBA Jam, being able to rediculous dunks and tricks. Very arcadey.

Plus I love the old skool narration where he tells the story about a homecourt legend. lol

2K7 is a good game in it's own right, but can't be compared to Street Homecourt, as such.

Ruined
03-26-07, 12:57 AM
After playing both extensively, I'd have to say that I think Top Spin 2 is significantly better than Virtua Tennis 3. While VT3 has better graphics, Top Spin 2 seems to have much more realistic & believable gameplay. I'm going with Top Spin 2 myself.

Connaught
03-26-07, 01:04 AM
Top Spin 2 is definitly the more realistic tennis sim...makes use of all the shots...A,B,X,Y ....in VT3 all I use is A and the occasional Y when the opponent gets close to the net....and the A.I is quite predictable in VT3

sytaylor
03-26-07, 06:21 AM
So you guys don't use the slice at all? Its near impossible to win matches without the odd well placed slice at harder difficulty levels in VT3