PDA

View Full Version : Help - crisis!!!

grantwilde
03-21-07, 04:52 PM
I have just ordered a super-powerful alienware laptop for my 18th which was £2,000 (im paying £500 of it myself btw :p) but I have a problem...

This is the graphics card I have ordered: Dual 512MB NVidia® GeForce™ Go 7900 GS - SLI Enabled

Now, for two grand I really want the most powerful equiptment available but my friend told me today that it won't work with directx10. Now im not a computer expert so could you please help me out with these two questions:

1. how big of a deal is that, will i not be able to handle top quality games which will shortly be coming out?

2. is there anyway to get directx10 to work with it?

einstein_314
03-21-07, 05:01 PM
Well you won't be able to play any DX10 games. There is NO way to make a 7 series card use DX10. But there aren't any DX10 compatible video cards in laptops yet....so there's really nothing you could do about it.

But all the DX10 games that are coming out are DX9 compatible, ie. they will run in DX9 mode, but without the DX10 effects.

grantwilde
03-21-07, 05:19 PM
Well you won't be able to play any DX10 games. There is NO way to make a 7 series card use DX10. But there aren't any DX10 compatible video cards in laptops yet....so there's really nothing you could do about it.

But all the DX10 games that are coming out are DX9 compatible, ie. they will run in DX9 mode, but without the DX10 effects.

oh good, thats ok then, do you think they will keep this backwards compatability for a while?

i really wanted the special directx10 version of the fps creator, but i guess there is no way to get it...

SH64
03-21-07, 05:34 PM
DX9 should be on for a while until "DX10 only" games come out. you should be safe on that , but you wont grab the goods of the DX10 games that are coming probably later this year.
i was about to get a Dell XPS with 7900GTX & now i dropped that plan just for that reason. (unless i can get it somewhere for cheap!)

grantwilde
03-21-07, 05:47 PM
DX9 should be on for a while until "DX10 only" games come out. you should be safe on that , but you wont grab the goods of the DX10 games that are coming probably later this year.
i was about to get a Dell XPS with 7900GTX & now i dropped that plan just for that reason. (unless i can get it somewhere for cheap!)

what do you think i should do, do you think i should cancel my order; do u think it's even possible to do so?

einstein_314
03-21-07, 05:59 PM
what do you think i should do, do you think i should cancel my order; do u think it's even possible to do so?
When did you make the order? Call them up and talk to somebody. If you ordered it today...I can't see them NOT letting you cancel your order.

In the end it's up to you. Personally I would probably cancel it....well I wouldn't have ordered it in the first place :P. Or you could keep the laptop for a year until DX10 is out in full force, sell the laptop, and buy a newer one...it's really up to you though.

ATOJAR
03-21-07, 06:00 PM
For £2000 you could build yourself a pretty good desctop pc with a 8800 gfx card!..... that would be my option!

SlieTheSecond
03-21-07, 07:02 PM
but you can't carry a desktop and monitor on a bus with you or sit down at a park and fire it up.

Well maby if it was solar powered and the case was big enough to be a table..

Dazz
03-21-07, 07:19 PM
Well if you do run it at the park you will be lucky to have the battery last more then half an hour!!
These are desktop portables, not laptops.

SH64
03-21-07, 07:31 PM
I advice you to do it ASAP if possible.

retsam
03-21-07, 07:51 PM
arent those sli enabled laptop card upgradable nowadays? isnt those mxm's in that laptop, so my understanding is when dx mobil cards come out you can just plug them in.

LORD-eX-Bu
03-21-07, 07:57 PM
retsam is right, I remember reading about that:D

eh, call up Dell and ask them if the upgrade will be possible in the future.

grantwilde
03-22-07, 02:34 AM
I ordered it like a week ago lol *cries* but if you can upgrade thats more than cool, i'll email them now, ty guys ^^ if anyone knows the upgrading thing for sure please let me know