PDA

View Full Version : HSF on E6600

gulizard
03-21-07, 05:38 PM
I have yet to come up with the money to get a new cooler for my CPU, however I just upgraded my bios. It removed linkboost in the update, also now reports my CPU Fan running at 1700 RPM before. This is not normal since it reported 3400-3800 before hand, what is the max speed on the HSF does anyone know?

This is not the only question I got though. I may or may not of installed the CPU cooler wrong. The little arrows on the plastic are they suppose to be facing inward towards the heatsink? I went to install a new CD-ROM today and noticed it was lose so I tried putting the little arrows outward, and then applying pressure now its nice and snug, however my CPU is still idling high considering the rest of my CPU idles cooler, alot cooler. It is idling at 45c. My video card is idling at around 44c. Should I take the cooler off again and reapply AS5?

SlieTheSecond
03-21-07, 07:05 PM
The HSF should be verrry snug. I forget which way the arrow points since well I only used that HSF for one day till I got a better one. But if it's loose the way you said it was, it was on wrong. If its very snug. Its good.

Going by your sig, you are overclocked? If so, expect higher temps.

gulizard
03-21-07, 07:59 PM
The HSF should be verrry snug. I forget which way the arrow points since well I only used that HSF for one day till I got a better one. But if it's loose the way you said it was, it was on wrong. If its very snug. Its good.

Going by your sig, you are overclocked? If so, expect higher temps.

I was stable at 3.25GHz actually but I am not O/Cing now.

One more question here I know the link boost is gone, and I did plan on O/Cing pretty soon. The 3500MHz that my SPP was receiving from link-boost, and the voltage increase do those really make my video card receive more bandwidth, and the extra voltage increase allow me to achieve higher O/C's on the video card?

I umm also was wondering what a good cooler was. I was also looking at the AS Freezer 7 for the Intel processor.

FastRedPonyCar
03-22-07, 02:07 PM
I forget which direction the arrows point but they only click into a locked position in 1 way so if they dont' click and lock, it's not pointed right.

anyways, I'll be putting together my E6600 system tomorrow/saturday and my dad's E6400 system this afternoon. I'll be using the stock intel HSF for his but I've got a Zalman CPS9500 for mine which I believe uses a bracket on the back of the motherboard for added stability which simplifies things in that particular regard.