Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Slash310
03-22-07, 04:03 AM
out now

Am_I_Evil
03-22-07, 04:09 AM
out now

damn...

i was looking forward to downloading this today....now i have to wait like 2 weeks....

hmmmmm.....here's to hoping my replacement has it already....that would be nice....

OWA
03-22-07, 05:03 AM
Wow, thanks for the update. I didn't think it would be out until much later today.

Edit: I wonder how long it has been out. There are people discussing how long they've been folding already.

Edit 2: Some guy listed these as unofficial things he's found included so far (since the release list on most sites just had the main items listed like downloading in the background, folding@home, etc.).

ALL OF THE UNANNOUNCED ADDITIONS I HAVE FOUND FOR 1.6

New avatar icons

Playstation Button only needs to be pressed not held down to access menu / new feature on said menu "reassign controller"

Pic Preview next to game names are animated

"Pic Attach" button in a more easily accessible place in emails

Web browser alot faster

WMA support

***EDIT*** Pictures over 1MB can be sent over messages

PeterJensen
03-22-07, 05:22 AM
OMG, can i fold with it when i get it tomorrow? And is there that map of the world that show where people are folding?

OWA
03-22-07, 05:34 AM
I'm downloading the folding client now so I should know soon. The pics from IGN and other sites, did show a map with lights where ever PS3s were folding. I think it's supposed to be one of the visualizations you can choose.

Edit: Actually, I just got it installed and running. So far, I see a slowly spinning globe in the background with lights showing up where ever PS3s are folding along with a small pic in the right lower corner showing the protein and in the upper left, showing progress, etc. Pretty cool.

We'll have to start a Nv News PS3 folding team.

PeterJensen
03-22-07, 05:38 AM
http://img401.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img5068as5.jpg

Picture :)

OWA
03-22-07, 05:42 AM
Heh, yeah, looks like that. :)

I changed my donor name to OWA but didn't create a team yet. I'll wait to see if anyone is interested in doing that first, I guess.

Edit: It's not clear yet on whether what we're seeing is any computer folding or if it's just PS3s (according to some posts I've read).

PeterJensen
03-22-07, 05:50 AM
I think it's PS3's :)
When i get it tomorrow we should make a nvnews team :)

OWA
03-22-07, 05:54 AM
Yeah, it was users just speculating. I heard it was supposed to be PS3s but I haven't seen anything official yet.

Forming a team sounds good to me.

Edit: Cool, just found out that I can manipulate the globe to see whatever area I want and zoom in/out on it. Doesn't appear to be a single light in Africa.

Edit 2: Well, off to work. I guess I'll leave the PS3 running to see if it'll finish a unit. Right now it's showing 8 hours left to complete...

PeterJensen
03-22-07, 09:37 AM
OWA make a team and poste the team number :)

Marvel_us
03-22-07, 09:43 AM
I was going to download the update before I left for work but I'll just wait until I go home at 5.

I have no clue how that folding team stuff works but I'm down. I was still hoping for customized wallpapers in this update but I haven't seen anyone mention that yet.....oh well.

|MaguS|
03-22-07, 10:35 AM
NVNEWS = 35216

OWA
03-22-07, 10:53 AM
I haven't seen background downloading yet.

Currently downloading the folding@home utility and I can't figure out how to do anything else while the download is going on :thumbdwn:
I think it should show up when downloading stuff from the store. There is apparently a button that says send to background or something like that. You're supposed to be able to queue up to 6.

I was still hoping for customized wallpapers in this update but I haven't seen anyone mention that yet.....oh well.
That's not included (from what I've been reading).

NVNEWS = 35216
So, is that the plan? Join the existing NvNews + OSNN + SP team?

Marvel_us
03-22-07, 11:11 AM
Supposedly there is background downloading while in game. Not like previously rumored where the download pauses while in game.

Give me something to look forward to when I get home guys!

Mr. Hunt
03-22-07, 11:14 AM
Supposedly there is background downloading while in game. Not like previously rumored where the download pauses while in game.

Give me something to look forward to when I get home guys!

Yeah... hear it functions like the 360 where if you go to play online, it stops downloading until you quit playing on the net.

LurkerLito
03-22-07, 11:22 AM
Actually the 1.6 background downloading isn't that great from what I read. It basically pauses if you play any kind of game even single player. I think it only works when playing music or looking at pictures, but movies (not sure about downloaded trailers or other local mp4 files) and PS3 games will pause the download.

Badboy_12345
03-22-07, 11:26 AM
Actually the 1.6 background downloading isn't that great from what I read. It basically pauses if you play any kind of game even single player. I think it only works when playing music or looking at pictures, but movies (not sure about downloaded trailers or other local mp4 files) and PS3 games will pause the download.

singel player games that arent trying to access the net wont stop the download from what I heard

Marvel_us
03-22-07, 11:28 AM
Crap dammit! I need my PS3 right now to test it.

|MaguS|
03-22-07, 11:37 AM

from what I read it suppose to download no matter what you are doing as long as you are not playing online...

LurkerLito
03-22-07, 11:39 AM
Here is the link:
http://kotaku.com/gaming/firmware/ps3-16-firmware-details-confirmed-245524.php

To quote from that article:
The PS3 downloading appears to have been, I don't know, half fixed. While you can now queue up to six downloads at at time and you will be able to do so while accessing videos, photos or music from the harddrive or even browsing the web, you won't be able to use the Blu-ray drive to play movies or games as you download.

OWA
03-22-07, 11:51 AM
I didn't try playing a game that requires the drive but playing Tekken 5 while downloading seemed to work.

BTW, don't they disconnect us from the network when playing a movie? I usually see it saying signing in after ending a movie. If not, does it show that we're watching a movie?

Marvel_us
03-22-07, 11:55 AM
I didn't try playing a game that requires the drive but playing Tekken 5 while downloading seemed to work.

BTW, don't they disconnect us from the network when playing a movie? I usually see it saying signing in after ending a movie. If not, does it show that we're watching a movie?

Yup, I think we get disconnected during movies as well as PS2 games. I've never seen any indication of you guys watching a movie so I think it's safe to say it disconnects.

OWA
03-22-07, 12:01 PM
It seemed to keep downloading the trailer while I played a quick game of Virtua Tennis 3. It was at 79% when I started VT3 and it was done after I played a few games of tennis. What I read, was that the downloading would continue as long as you didn't play an online game and so far, it appears to be that way for me. I wonder if it could be tied to whether the game has online capability or not instead. VT3, on the PS3, doesn't. Oh well, that's all I can check for now since I have to get back to work.

Marvel_us
03-22-07, 12:16 PM
It seemed to keep downloading the trailer while I played a quick game of Virtua Tennis 3. It was at 79% when I started VT3 and it was done after I played a few games of tennis. What I read, was that the downloading would continue as long as you didn't play an online game and so far, it appears to be that way for me. I wonder if it could be tied to whether the game has online capability or not instead. VT3, on the PS3, doesn't. Oh well, that's all I can check for now since I have to get back to work.

This is the kind of response I was looking for. Hands on experience. I wish I could help out with the testing but if there are still concerns when I get home I'll look into it.

Thanks OWA.

PS. We can test the online pausing later on with some NBA2k7 if you want, I haven't played that in a while.

PeterJensen
03-22-07, 12:27 PM
So we join the official nvnews folding team?