PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose a monitor!

shaker718
03-22-07, 09:03 AM
Every year I work on a promotional DVD for my program. I usually take 1/3 to 1/2 of my payment for this project and invest it in my computer. I've decided that the best course of action this year is for me to upgrade my 2005fpw monitor to a 24-30in monitor.

I currently have an 8800gts and I know this will probably not be enough to run the occasional game on a 30 incher at full res, so buying one this size might not be the best course of action .
With this in mind I am looking at the dell 2407 or the dell 2707 monitors. The 2407 seems like a good candidate but I've read about banding issues etc, and since I work mostly in photoshop I can't have that as an issue.
The 2707 looks amazing but the price tag at the moment is scaring me away. I wonder what other options I have if I wanted a monitor at this size. What monitors are out there that compare? If you own a dell, can you tell me what you mostly do with it (ie gaming? photoshop? video? etc), and what issues you've had with it? Do you recommend it? Thanks in advance.

Rakeesh
03-22-07, 12:36 PM
Get the westinghouse. 37 inches for less than $1k.

shaker718
03-22-07, 01:00 PM
Get the westinghouse. 37 inches for less than $1k.

I was considering the westinghouse... My only problem with getting that display is how accurate the colors are and how large the pixel size. too large and it's useless for fine photoshop work (a necessity for me) and if the colors are not at least somewhat accurate ( I know I can't afford an Eizo or some other color accurate pro brand LCD) then again I can't use it... It is tempting though, believe me.

Edit: just read a review someone posted at hardforum, and they concur. The westinghouse isn't a monitor for photoshop work. TV, Games etc are awesome on it. Too bad cuz that size an LCD at that price point would have been awesome.

hokeyplyr48
03-22-07, 09:03 PM
i'd go with the dell 3007wfp.
you've already got the smaller one, why not just go bigger.
also the resolution is monstrous, the westinghouse one i don't believe runs at 2560x1600.