PDA

View Full Version : game delays

kevJ420
03-22-07, 10:06 AM
What do people think about games being delayed? Would you rather have a game released early if it's good and you never would have known the difference had it been delayed or are people willing to wait? An (old) prime example of this issue, is Sonic2. I definately would have waited until January (like Capcom has had a long-ass tradition of doing) for Sonic 2 to have had the Hidden Palace Zone intact. However, Sega had to have another clever ad campaign for it (Sonic 2sDay, November 17/24, 92) and have it released by Xmas, which no doubt helped Sega get even more market share that year, so I'm kind of glad that it wasn't delayed so I can say Sega beat nintendo from 91-93 in market share (US, not Japan.)

Sometimes I think delays help and then other times really hurt. I think they hurt more b/c sometimes you see the 1st previews, then the game winds up changed and then you never get to play what you originally saw (even if what's released is ultimately better), and then you never would have known the difference, but of course as Sonic 2 proves, it kind of works both ways.

I think it's one of the most frustrating feelings in the world when see a game's 1st preview and then it's mad different when it's released.

Imbroglio
03-22-07, 10:11 AM
umm, sega consoles are dead, this is the year 2007. comparing a 2d sidescroller with todays games is not in any way accurate, the complexity and the variation between these time periods are not even remotely the same, usually when games are delayed it is for a good reason, too many titles are already rushed and require mega patches just to play the game *cough* bf and half of the ea games. even with game delays too many companies rely on the "oh we'll patch that later mentality", i'd actually like to see an AAA title delayed slightly so that there are minimal bugs, instead of half the crap that we get that has to be patched 5 times to be playable.

and please for the love of god stop mentioning consoles and games from the early to mid-90's.

OWA
03-22-07, 10:14 AM
I'd rather they be released on time (or early) and work perfectly out of the box.

On a slightly different note, I'd rather not hear much about them until they're almost sure they'll meet some target date.

ViN86
03-22-07, 10:29 AM
umm, sega consoles are dead, this is the year 2007. comparing a 2d sidescroller with todays games is not in any way accurate, the complexity and the variation between these time periods are not even remotely the same, usually when games are delayed it is for a good reason, too many titles are already rushed and require mega patches just to play the game *cough* bf and half of the ea games. even with game delays too many companies rely on the "oh we'll patch that later mentality", i'd actually like to see an AAA title delayed slightly so that there are minimal bugs, instead of half the crap that we get that has to be patched 5 times to be playable.

and please for the love of god stop mentioning consoles and games from the early to mid-90's.
so youre tellin me i cant sell my Genesis and Sonic 2 for $200???

damnit, i missed the window :mad:

kevJ420
03-22-07, 11:06 AM

Tomb Raider AOD is a game that was delayed and turned out buggy as hell, but it was patched, but not enough, so you're right about that.

The other thing is that about 50% of today's games had their roots in the 80s and early-mid 90s.

2D side-scrollers don't exist enough today.

Some people prefer 2D games or at least like them as much as 3D games and it's really painful for them to see nothing but 3D games on X360 and PS3. 2D and 2.5D games have their potential increased w/ each new hw generation, many people just don't realise it. I think a good idea would be for Sony to give 3rd parties royalty credits for 2D games, and then 3rd parties won't have to worry about them not selling.

On a side note, I also think Sony should give 3rd parties royalty credits for using uncompressed music and giving the PS3 versions extra levels or something like that since they can't have entire games exclusive now, apparently. That's what I think.

Sonic 2 was just an example that came to mind.

Substitute Resident Evil 4 for it, that works just as well, it was changed 4 times.

thor1182
03-22-07, 11:12 AM
/enters thread
/looks around
/targets topic
/shoots topic
/dismembers topic
/dances on topics grave
/shoots topic again repeatedly as it tries to come up again
/pisses on grave
/topic dies
/people rejoice