PDA

View Full Version : So... what do you think of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

jAkUp
03-22-07, 11:33 PM
Well, unfortunately my system is still under construction until next week, but you guys who have played, what do you think after all these years? Please only vote if you have played :)

|MaguS|
03-22-07, 11:42 PM
I give it an 8, its fun and a nice twist at the FPS genre but it plays weird... no real way to describe it. Just feels clunky at times.

jAkUp
03-22-07, 11:43 PM
I give it an 8, its fun and a nice twist at the FPS genre but it plays weird... no real way to describe it. Just feels clunky at times.

Thats kinda the way I felt about the MP demo, much fun, but it felt strange... like it wasn't really tuned in the same way that the big releases are. I will reserve my impressions for SP though :)

|MaguS|
03-22-07, 11:45 PM
You haven't played the SP yet? I got mine from Direct2Drive... Love the lack of CD, I hope all games get released through D2D now.

jAkUp
03-22-07, 11:46 PM
You haven't played the SP yet? I got mine from Direct2Drive... Love the lack of CD, I hope all games get released through D2D now.

Unfortunately no, I don't have a rig right now :) Well, its in pieces laying on my desk...hehe

XxDeadlyxX
03-22-07, 11:53 PM
What i posted on R3D:

I'm rating it 9/10

I'm playing on Master, and of course its not easy... but it is probably comparable to a lot of other FPS games on max difficulty, as in... hard but not 20 times reloading the savegame for every encounter. On average when I'm up against a large group I probably have to reload maybe 2-3 times. Sometimes more, but thats when I'm trying stupid stuff . I find master a good balance of difficulty for me. As in.. not easy but not 'omg i got shot from 100m away hs everytime zomg!' I think it has has a lot to do with how you shoot the weapons, I had a lot of practice with the MP betas.. I played them for hours on end so it made it a lot easier starting the single player . Also anyone complaining about NPCs shooting through walls... with the improved ammo you CAN shoot through certain objects (wood etc) yourself... imho the better stalkers have probably had some CS training Also having the dynamic crosshair off heals a LOT. Even with innacurate weapons, shooting at the exact dot in the middle of the xhair will quite often land you a headshot

Very few bugs here... yes there are some but really in my experience they are relatively minor. Yes, it is a bit more buggy than Oblivion, but none of the bugs sofar really annoy me or anything. Mainly it has just been a few cases of NPC walking into another one and stuff like that. Also some clipping issues, but thats nothing other games are without.

Played it for about... 6 hours sofar and loving it

Also what I like sofar is ammo for AK74U is very hard to come by... so when I do get ammo I use it wisey :D . Maybe this has to do with playing on Master :)

WeReWoLf
03-22-07, 11:57 PM
dunno what you're doing wrong then xxdeadly... i have about 400 rounds for my AK

Technoholic
03-23-07, 12:09 AM
What "year" does this game take place? o.0

Idk why, but I like to look at weapons then I'd feel better playing. I installed Medal of Honor Allied Assault, and the weapons were just BLEH. :retard:

mike686
03-23-07, 12:31 AM
What "year" does this game take place? o.0

I think I remember reading something in game that said it was in 2008 or 2009.

XxDeadlyxX
03-23-07, 12:33 AM
2012 and the second accident was in 2006.

WeReWoLf
03-23-07, 12:35 AM
0_o there was a second accident?

mike686
03-23-07, 12:40 AM
2012 and the second accident was in 2006.

So time went backwards? :wonder:

D!Z
03-23-07, 12:52 AM
i love it, the only thing that kind of ticks me off is the diffrence in performance in the static and dynamic lighting. While dynamic lighting looks great it really drains systems. i never knew something like that could make a game look and run like night and day.

XxDeadlyxX
03-23-07, 12:55 AM
So time went backwards? :wonder:

:p

Should of worded it the other way... 2nd accident = 2006... game = 2012 :captnkill:

SH64
03-23-07, 01:02 AM
8/10

Pros :
- superb indoors graphics
- vast landscapes
- nice weather effects
- day/night cycle
- decent AI

Cons :
- Aiming system/hit points (in general)
- bad weapon models
- cannot drive vechicles
i remember first batch of videos showing driveable trucks & cars etc .. now there's none :thumbdwn:

Shaitan
03-23-07, 10:19 AM
I gave it a 4.

Here is why. For 1, I got interested in STALKER for what was supposed to be offered initially. Not for its` added rpg element and gameplay redesign. For me that side of the game is so clunky and unintuitive, I really would rather just have had a sp game with missions.

What I am seeing isn`t bad. The visuals are decent, and it runs and looks awesome. Altho I really would like my quicksave key to actually save to a spot I choose. STALKER doesn`t feel like a game that was delayed etc etc etc. Everyone rails on about lamer excuses for not releasing a game in a timely manner.... ala "do you want it rushed, or do you want it done right?"

Well, it has been 6 years and I for 1 ain`t seeing a product worth the 6 year wait. Not imho. Since STALKER is just about the only game in town, I will knock at it..... it is possible I might change my mind. But I had hoped for ALL the hype we had gotten thrown at us.... for the repeated delays equaling 3 years after they were supposed to be on the verge of a release and demo release.... that we would have gotten something a tad more resemblant of the hype they shoveled out to us.

I feel like we got the Russian version of the hype afforded us by Bungie with Halo. lol Hopefully as I get further into the game, it grows on me. But I really would much rather have had the game GSC was promising when news 1st arrived of STALKER.

|MaguS|
03-23-07, 10:31 AM
My only gripe so far is that it takes over 10 shots to kill a ****ing dog... two rounds from a shotgun also... seriously it should take no more then 3 rounds...

OWA
03-23-07, 10:34 AM
I voted 7 mainly b/c I haven't felt compelled to play it. I probably shouldn't have voted yet though since I'm not very far along.

Becoming
03-23-07, 10:55 AM
My only gripe so far is that it takes over 10 shots to kill a ****ing dog... two rounds from a shotgun also... seriously it should take no more then 3 rounds...

Upgrade your ammo and shoot it in the face next time. Takes me 2-3 pistol shots to kills a dog tops.

Thingding
03-23-07, 10:56 AM
Like this game.. not fair to say love tho. Nice animations and the voice acting is right up there. But shooting a gun is.. well.. either the guns shoot bananas or the hostiles wear seriously thick armour (which you can't loot off their cold dead corpses).

Getting some great framerates tho.

svetli_pp
03-23-07, 11:33 AM
I think all of you who complain about shooting inaccuracy are biased by your distorted notions created by too many arcade shooting games. I've read that Stalker's balistics is the most advanced to date, and as far as my own military experience goes I can assure you that in real life hitting something with a real gun is not like in most of the games - actually it is quite similar to stalker's feel. So I give this game the maximum mark for being the only game in the last several years that awakens the gamer in me and for justifying spending 3000$ on a gaming rig not just for the visuals but because of all other aspects of a great game that are so hard to define but when they are there you can tell :)) Bugs aside :)

ralinn
03-23-07, 11:49 AM
I like it but it's a shame it runs like crap for me :'(

I really can't stand playing an FPS with low FPS so I stopped playing it.

nekrosoft13
03-23-07, 11:54 AM
I like it but it's a shame it runs like crap for me :'(

I really can't stand playing an FPS with low FPS so I stopped playing it.

my friend is playing the game with athlon xp 3000+ and x800, and he is getting decent FPS.

its not on max settings, but still

DiscipleDOC
03-23-07, 12:43 PM
So do you guys think it's worth me getting?

WeReWoLf
03-23-07, 12:54 PM
Doc, get it. I call myself an avid fan of FPS, hell most of the games i ever play are FPS, but stalker is a real turning point. It's like a combination of HL2/Quake 4 with WoW (minus the MMO part), stuck in post-apocolyptic near future, using weapons we can relate with. Even if the gameplay isn't the best, and there are a few bugs here and there, you have to at least experience the graphical and lighting quality. If Stalker looks this good, then we're in for a drooltastic year with the games that are listed for release.