PDA

View Full Version : PAL-EUR or NTSC-US (console games)?

Pages : [1] 2

muaddib
03-24-07, 01:07 PM
Hello.

Is there any technical difference between a PAL/EUR or NTSC/US console game (most specifically, a 6th generation console [PS2/XBOX/GC]). Is one of them superior? What do you prefer?

My TV and consoles are capable of displaying PAL and NTSC both.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Lfctony
03-24-07, 02:31 PM
I think the PS2 and Xbox can do both, but the NTSC GC can't do PAL.

muaddib
03-24-07, 02:39 PM
Thanks, but that's not what I meant...

My question is - Is PAL/EUR any superior to NTSC/US concerning 6rd generation consoles (including PSP, DS, GC, XBOX, PS2...)

Thanks again.

|MaguS|
03-24-07, 02:45 PM
No, the games are usually identical... why would they be superior?

Lfctony
03-24-07, 02:52 PM
Well, with some PS2 games (eg God of War), the NTSC version supports Progressive Scan, while the PAL version doesn't. So in that sense, an NTSC PS2 (plus games) is better to own.

muaddib
03-24-07, 04:32 PM
No, the games are usually identical... why would they be superior?

Check this link out... There are some clear differences between the two... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAL#PAL_vs_NTSC I wonder if that applies for consoles as well, and I wonder if I should buy my games in PAL... (all of them are already NTSC, except for cases when the PAL version is better feature wise)

|MaguS|
03-24-07, 04:35 PM
I thought you were talking about content wise... yeah PAL and NTSC are two different TV signals, I would use NTSC if you have the option to choose though since I believe most games are developed with that system in mind.

Amuro
03-24-07, 09:25 PM
As I understand, NTSC standard has lower resolution but higher refresh rate than PAL, thus while PAL has a better still picture display than NTSC, NTSC has a better motion picture display.

Lyme
03-24-07, 09:30 PM
As I understand, NTSC standard has lower resolution but higher refresh rate than PAL, thus while PAL has a better still picture display than NTSC, NTSC has a better motion picture display.

Exact same thing with 720p vs 1080i

Zelda_fan
03-24-07, 10:58 PM
Exact same thing with 720p vs 1080i

no, not even close

muaddib
03-25-07, 05:14 AM
Thanks for the help... more opinions and information are welcomed...

H3avyM3tal
03-25-07, 07:49 AM
I would say NTSC was better last gen. Take GT4 for example:
The NTSC ver could display 720p. A feature which was left out of the PAL ver for some reason...
Also, if you would take the TEKKEN series for example, the NTSC vers of these game ran alot faster. And I mean faster. Though the PAL ver gave you the option to select either signal type. So if you choose NTSC instead of PAL, and your TV supported it, you would see and feel the diffrence.

muaddib
03-25-07, 09:50 AM
Thanks... guess I would stick with NTSC.

Regards

Camp0rz
03-25-07, 11:24 AM
The PAL version of halo 1 has different reload times/spawn times for some of the guns. Back when WCG used to have halo 1 tournaments they went to Singapore. They were using NTSC at the tourney and it was ****ing up all the Australian teams so bad.

Lyme
03-25-07, 11:38 AM
no, not even close

You sure? I recall people using that exact same argument between those two formats.

Zelda_fan
03-25-07, 11:56 AM
You sure? I recall people using that exact same argument between those two formats.

1080i and 720p are different resolutions.

PAL and NTSC are different signal standards. While the NTSC version of the game may include a higher resolution setting, it has nothing to do with the NTSC signal.

Lyme
03-25-07, 11:59 AM
1080i and 720p are different resolutions.

PAL and NTSC are different signal standards. While the NTSC version of the game may include a higher resolution setting, it has nothing to do with the NTSC signal.

*Shrug* I'll take your word for it.

Zelda_fan
03-25-07, 12:07 PM
*Shrug* I'll take your word for it.

don't take my word for it
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTSC
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAL

|MaguS|
03-25-07, 12:13 PM
Actually you both are technically correct. PAL and NTSC are different resolutions and different signals...

Pal is 625 line @ 50Hz which is refered to as 576i while NTSC is 525 line @ 60Hz which we call 480i. NTSC TV signals carry a tint controller aswell due to color errors that could be an issue in the NTSC signal while PAL rarely ever suffers such an issue. PAL is technically superior in picture quality but its refresh rate is lower then that of NTSC so for gaming its not the optimal.

I believe that with the introduction to HDTV 720p/1080i/1080p have removed the whole PAL vs NTSC debate since it is a global standard.

kevJ420
03-25-07, 05:12 PM
***EDIT: I'm a dumb****, I need to read the whole thread before posting.***

I thought that the 2 were merged starting with hdtv.

What are the PAL HD signals and the NTSC HD signals?

I thought it was 720p, 1080i/p @ 60Hz for both territories w/ HD.

I've known that traditionally a game will have frame rate issues on PAL, but their output (and maybe internal as well, what the hell do i know) res is a bit higher.

|MaguS|
03-25-07, 05:14 PM
I thought that the 2 were merged starting with hdtv.

What are the PAL HD signals and the NTSC HD signals?

I thought it was 720p, 1080i/p @ 60Hz for both territories w/ HD.

I've known that traditionally a game will have frame rate issues on PAL, but their output (and maybe internal as well, what the hell do i know) res is a bit higher.

So now we know you can't write and read...

I believe that with the introduction to HDTV 720p/1080i/1080p have removed the whole PAL vs NTSC debate since it is a global standard.

muaddib
03-25-07, 05:31 PM
PAL is technically superior in picture quality but its refresh rate is lower then that of NTSC so for gaming its not the optimal.

Is it valid in reality as well and not just 'on paper'?
I am using a PAL PS2 with a chip that can display both signals, a TV that can display both signals and I play mostly NTSC games. Am I getting the best gaming experience, or should I replace something, let it be the games' region, TV or machine...

Thanks.

Lyme
03-25-07, 06:33 PM
The general consensus is that if your watching something with a lot of fast movement like football, car racing, etc.. you want a faster refresh rate.
If your watching something like national geographic, looking at pictures, you want a higher resolution.

toxikneedle
03-25-07, 06:42 PM
The differences are so small that it doesn't really matter.

Personally, I prefer NTSC for gaming because of the slightly higher refresh rate. Most movie buffs prefer PAL because of the slightly higher resolution.

In general though, no one will argue that you get a better picture with PAL. The debate is pretty much dead now with HDTV on the scene.
Actually that's completely BS, most movie buffs hate PAL because of the speed up. They prefer the original 23.97 frame rate of film to the PAL 25 frame speed up.

toxikneedle
03-25-07, 08:22 PM
well I personally have no preference, I can't even watch SD stuff anymore, I'm HD only. But I've seen people go nuts over the whole PAL vs NTSC fps issue, people hate 25fps so much... I can barely spot a speed up when watching a movie... I am glad that HD content is all 24fps tho.