PDA

View Full Version : Ouch... $950

Pages : [1] 2

TheTaz
03-24-07, 01:38 PM
Well... this really hurt my wallet... but I just ordered my Overclocked BFG Liquid Cooled 8800GTX video card today:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814143085

All I have left to buy (next month) is the CPU. Intel Core 2 E6600.

Rig Parts bought so far: (Over the last several months)

~ BFG GeForce 8800GTX 768MB Water Cooled Edition Video Card
~ GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 Motherboard
~ CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) 4-4-4-12 Memory
~ Western Digital 80GB 10,00RPM Raptor SATA Hard Drive (that was free, actually)
~ SAMSUNG SH-S183L SATA DVD Burner w/ Lightscribe
~ KOOLANCE EXOS-2 Liquid Cooling System
~ KOOLANCE CPU-305-V10 CPU Water Block
~ HIPER HPU-4B580-MS 580W Power Supply
~ ANTEC SONATA II Case (w/ Extra Fans)
~ ATECH Flash XM-28U BLACK 28-in-1 USB 2.0 Internal Card Reader (Fits in Floppy Bay)

Gonna be a screamin' fast machine when I get it assembled and overclocked. It may not be "top o' the line" due to no SLI... but it will definitely be a Quantum leap over my ABit NF7-S, Mobile Athlon XP 2500 overclocked, and 7800GS.

Since I have no intentions of ever installing Vista... this will probably be my last gaming rig (which is why I went all liquid cooled).

-Taz

jAkUp
03-24-07, 01:43 PM
Nice rig, but you are not going to play future games anymore because you don't want to use vista??? Well, suit yourself, but the rest of us will be enjoying DX10 games by the end of this year. I think you will be missing out.

LORD-eX-Bu
03-24-07, 01:46 PM
such a ripoff, cancel that order, go buy a stock 8800 GTX and buy a good gpu waterblock, geez, no 8800 series is worth that much, you could almost get two of them for that much:lol:

Xion X2
03-24-07, 01:51 PM
Holy crapola!!!

The price on those cards has gone up big-time! I paid 799$ for mine back when it was first released!

That's crazy. Why not just buy an eVGA for 599$ or so and remove the stock heatsink yourself? You could put a good aftermarket waterblock on it like I did my 2nd card for only an extra 120$ or so and save yourself 250-300 bucks. If it's an eVGA then it's still under warranty if you remove the block. Just keep the sticker that's on the back of the card and the stock heatsink/fan if you ever need to RMA it.

Your choice, but if I were you I'd return it and go that other route two of us have mentioned now. It's not that hard to swap a waterblock on there. Dang, I'd do it for you myself for 50$. I'm starting a shop that'll be up and running in a week or two.

But those prices are insane.

LORD-eX-Bu
03-24-07, 01:54 PM
a Swiftech MCW60 water block with a couple of heatsinks would probably out perform that waterblock on the BFG card, heck, you could buy a EK full cover block to keep it simple and you would probably get the same performance for way less.

TheTaz
03-24-07, 01:59 PM
Nice rig, but you are not going to play future games anymore because you don't want to use vista??? Well, suit yourself, but the rest of us will be enjoying DX10 games by the end of this year. I think you will be missing out.

It's mainly because I don't like the way the software industry is heading... both OS-wise and games. Intrusive activation, subscription based distribution, in-game ads, console versions considered first, then poorly ported over, etc. etc. etc. DX10 / Vista makes a good cut-off point for me... I have a ton of games in my collection... and it will be a while before all games are DX10 exclusive. The point of this last gaming rig is to run everything, including near future games, without a hitch.

-LORD-eX-Bu']such a ripoff, cancel that order, go buy a stock 8800 GTX and buy a good gpu waterblock, geez, no 8800 series is worth that much, you could almost get two of them for that much:lol:

I agree that the price is steep. While I'm proficient at taking things apart and building PC's... ripping off a stock video card fan and heat sink, is just something I don't want to deal with. I have seen people posting in the past regarding not being able to get a waterblock to seat properly on a video card, and frankly, I rather have the guarantee that it's done right, than risk $600 + $125 for the waterblock.

Call me lazy! :D

Holy crapola!!!

The price on those cards has gone up big-time! I paid 799$ for mine back when it was first released!

This is the overclocked version (650/2000). Another lazyness factor for me (One less thing to tinker) ;)

Xion X2
03-24-07, 02:05 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130072

569.99$ with a mail-in rebate of 30$

http://www.dangerden.com/store/product.php?productid=266&cat=48&page=1

Same waterblock that BFG uses. 124.99$

= $694.98

This is the overclocked version (650/2000). Another lazyness factor for me (One less thing to tinker)

Your choice, but I could instruct you on how to overclock a stock G80 to the same speeds in about.. 2 minutes. And here's a guide I made on how to swap a waterblock on the card. It's actually very simple.
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=85643&highlight=poseidon

LORD-eX-Bu
03-24-07, 02:09 PM
man, I wouldn't pay that much for someone to do the work for me. Its not that hard, its not like you have to remove the IHS off the GPU and risk cracking the core... takes like 30min max, really, you could save so much money and put more money into other areas of your kickass rig but meh, its your money.. congrats:D

since money isn't a problem for ya do you want to buy me a stock GTX?:captnkill:

:p

TheTaz
03-24-07, 02:24 PM
-LORD-eX-Bu']man, I wouldn't pay that much for someone to do the work for me. Its not that hard, its not like you have to remove the IHS off the GPU and risk cracking the core... takes like 30min max, really, you could save so much money and put more money into other areas of your kickass rig but meh, its your money.. congrats:D

I'm pretty sure changing the cooling device voids the warranty with most, if not all manufacturers. And if I can't get the water block to seat properly... then I'm SOL. If this thing takes a dump... I just send it back to BFG for a new one.

Your choice, but I could instruct you on how to overclock a stock G80 to the same speeds in about.. 2 minutes. And here's a guide I made on how to swap a waterblock on the card. It's actually very simple.

Thanks. It's not like I don't know how to overclock a video card... but it's nice to have a guaranteed stable OC speed.

I think ya'll are missing what I'm shooting for, in my lazyness vs. money invested. Since it is probably my last gaming rig (Including hardware investment)... I'm looking specifically at Guarantees and Warantees.

It would be very difficult to RMA a modified card. ;)

LORD-eX-Bu
03-24-07, 02:29 PM
you woudn't void the warranty on an EVGA 8800 GTX if you water cooled it... just keep the stock cooler and all the things that came with it:D

nice card tho:D

by the way, Tiger Direct has the same BFG 8800 gtx water cooled edition card in stock for $799.

Xion X2
03-24-07, 02:34 PM
I'm pretty sure changing the cooling device voids the warranty with most, if not all manufacturers. And if I can't get the water block to seat properly... then I'm SOL. If this thing takes a dump... I just send it back to BFG for a new one.

Jakup works for eVGA and has verified that you can remove the stock HSF w/o it voiding the warranty. Just need to hold onto the sticker on the back of the card and the stock HSF in case you ever need to RMA it.

But if you want the factory WC'd BFG, you want the BFG. :) I understand the "laziness" factor--that's one of the reasons I bought my first BFG that was factory WC'd. But once I found out how easy it was to swap the block I saved money on the 2nd one and did it myself.

But to each his own. Grats on the G80. :)

TheTaz
03-24-07, 02:38 PM
Jakup works for eVGA and has verified that you can remove the stock HSF w/o it voiding the warranty. Just need to hold onto the sticker on the back of the card and the stock HSF in case you ever need to RMA it.

But if you want the factory WC'd BFG, you want the BFG. :)

Actually... I would have preferred the eVGA (Both my 7800GS's are eVGA) watercooled 8800GTX that was announced in February(?)... but they still aren't available yet.

But alas... the BFG I ordered has already shipped.

Xion X2
03-24-07, 02:42 PM
But alas... the BFG I ordered has already shipped.

Newegg has a great return policy. :D

Alright, that's the last I'll pick w/ you. Enjoy your new G80. If you change your mind about the waterblock, let me know and I'll help you out.

DarkOneX
03-25-07, 12:01 PM
Don't open it when you get it, seriously. That is the biggest mistake you are making in your setup along with your small a$$ hard drive. Send it back, and just get like an eVGA 8800GTX ACS edition and a 500GB HD or 2. You'll get the same perf outta what you just ordered. Also the 8800 Ultra supposedly will be out in just 3 weeks which will beat that $950 card but for $550 or so.

scott123
03-25-07, 02:48 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130072

569.99$ with a mail-in rebate of 30$

http://www.dangerden.com/store/product.php?productid=266&cat=48&page=1

Same waterblock that BFG uses. 124.99$

= $694.98

LOL...now he knows how much $$$ he just threw down the drain.

Blacklash
03-25-07, 03:02 PM
Ack!

You know they are going to have 8900GTXs @ 700|2200 for around the price of the current cards yes? (549usd)

I'd wait on that. If AMD would hurry up and release their R600 we could get the darn thing :p 8900GTX that is.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/7055/geforce_8900gtx_and_8950gx2_pricing_and_informatio n/index.html

If you decide to go Vista get HP x64 and install it on another drive and dual boot. That's what I do and it saves me a lot of headache.

Xion X2
03-25-07, 03:57 PM
LOL...now he knows how much $$$ he just threw down the drain.

Well, it's his choice; I was only trying to help. Some people prefer to do things differently, but if he wants to return the card and go another way he still can. Newegg is great about letting you return stuff--especially items that haven't been opened.

LORD-eX-Bu
03-25-07, 04:05 PM
I prefer doing things myself, alot of the fun in putting a pc together is learning new stuff:D

Rakeesh
03-25-07, 04:15 PM
Sheesh, you are going to pay more for just that card than I paid for the rig in my signature. After taxes, shipping, and everything, I paid $860 for this, and that includes the aluminum case, psu, fans, and other whatnots that I bought as well.

Madpistol
03-25-07, 04:21 PM
-LORD-eX-Bu']I prefer doing things myself, alot of the fun in putting a pc together is learning new stuff:D

QFT. If you can do it yourself there is no sense in paying someone else to do it for you.

Rakeesh
03-25-07, 04:36 PM
QFT. If you can do it yourself there is no sense in paying someone else to do it for you.

Especially if it saves you $300. Hell, instead of saying you'll never buy vista, that could buy you a copy right there.

kevJ420
03-25-07, 04:47 PM
Ack!

You know they are going to have 8900GTXs @ 700|2200 for around the price of the current cards yes? (549usd)

I'd wait on that. If AMD would hurry up and release their R600 we could get the darn thing :p 8900GTX that is.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/7055/geforce_8900gtx_and_8950gx2_pricing_and_informatio n/index.html

If you decide to go Vista get HP x64 and install it on another drive and dual boot. That's what I do and it saves me a lot of headache.

Is it going to be the 8900 gtx or the 8900 ultra or both?

Do you know if either will have new transistors for any graphics features?

I don't think they would, but I'm not sure, so that's why I'm asking.

Of course, ATI isn't going to improve their ****ty iq, so nvidia probably won't be motivated to make their's better. Besides, all people care about is benchmarks, so there won't be anything for me. Everyone but me would almost rather have an unnoticable 5 MHz clock speed boost to the core rather than be able to play every game w/ aa, and aa that's actually good.

It's hell and damnation for me.

Xion X2
03-25-07, 08:29 PM
Is it going to be the 8900 gtx or the 8900 ultra or both?

Do you know if either will have new transistors for any graphics features?

I don't think they would, but I'm not sure, so that's why I'm asking.

Of course, ATI isn't going to improve their ****ty iq, so nvidia probably won't be motivated to make their's better. Besides, all people care about is benchmarks, so there won't be anything for me. Everyone but me would almost rather have an unnoticable 5 MHz clock speed boost to the core rather than be able to play every game w/ aa, and aa that's actually good.

It's hell and damnation for me.

Okaaaaaaaaaaaaay, buddy. And just exactly what is wrong with image quality on the 8800GTX cards? Everything you play on it looks amazing.. even freaking World of Warcraft, which I've always thought looked like crap before.

And "AA that's actually good?" If you turn up AA to 8x on these cards, there's not a jagged edge on anything.

TheTaz
03-25-07, 08:38 PM
Hmmm... maybe I'll send it back and wait for the 8900s.

Especially if it saves you $300. Hell, instead of saying you'll never buy vista, that could buy you a copy right there.

The price isn't why I'm not buying Vista. They could give it away for free and I wouldn't install it. Hell... they could even try paying me, and I still wouldn't install it. :D (Yes I've installed it at work... and have plenty of experience with it... I'm talking my home machines)

I won't get into a debate on my reasons why... you guys like it... fine... enjoy it. Don't try to convince me of Vista's virtues, because they don't matter to me.

/shrug

LORD-eX-Bu
03-25-07, 09:45 PM
don't install Vista, I went back to XP because it was unstable. Sure it looks pretty but that doesn't mean jack when you can't use it:D

EDIT: BTW, I liked the IQ on my XTX, what was so bad about it?