PDA

View Full Version : Stalker issues or suppose to be that way?

Destroy
03-25-07, 10:26 PM
Just got the game and started playing, is the game suppose to do this:

No FSAA using Full Dynamic Lighting?

All gfx set to high or max in game, when I walk forward there is a very distinct drawn line in which grass and shadows 'pop in' to view or higher LOD, this normal? Its a very similar and an extremely annoying effect like FarCrys grass popup.

Are the tall weeds suppose to be shaking crazily fast? Almost looks like the weeks are twitching. Yeah it looks windy outside but the grass movement speed is just plain silly looking.

Again with the weeds, are they suppose to show through travel chests, rocks and people?

All the NPC idle chatter being in Russian while actually 'Talk'ing to them is in English is suppose to be this way, right?

Wtf are all those cheesy warp bubbles all over the place? Suppose to be radiation hot spots or something? If so, wow, what preschooler came up with that crappy lame effect. :thumbdwn:

97.92 WinXP 8800GTX

|MaguS|
03-25-07, 10:32 PM
yes to all the above, why did you need to see fit to create another thread on the game when there is already a main thread for it? Your not special...

ruziel
03-25-07, 11:17 PM
06'er

jolle
03-26-07, 04:23 AM
dude, those "warp bubbles" are the anomalies, you cant have seen or read anything about this game previously if you didnt know that.
There are different sorts.

If the weeds are moving really fast, maybe you´ve accelerated time? I hear there is a button for that, dunno if it would cause that or if its supposed to be like that.

No FSAA with HDR, as with alot of games.

Jonelo
03-26-07, 04:36 AM
No MSAA with deferred rendering , the problem not is the HDR

Xion X2
03-26-07, 01:57 PM
No FSAA with HDR, as with alot of games.

Yeah, you need an 8800-series card for that. The 1900s can do both with certain games but not all, I think.

Destroy
03-26-07, 03:10 PM
Yeah, you need an 8800-series card for that. The 1900s can do both with certain games but not all, I think.

So Stalker does work with FSAA with max gfx settings? How?

Jackrabbit710
03-26-07, 03:13 PM
I dont think it does, I havent tried to force it but it doesnt work from the ingame option. Ill try it now. On a side note, played about an hour and it really is a good game, very atmospheric! Weather effects are awsome!

DRen72
03-26-07, 03:47 PM
So Stalker does work with FSAA with max gfx settings? How?

You can only get AA with static lighting on the 8800 cards.

sillyeagle
03-26-07, 05:32 PM

Not with STALKER. Supposedly the only way to get AA with Dynamic Light is through DX10.

To the OP, my gass line fades in slowly, no pop in, though I do get the twitchy grass that moves really fast.

|MaguS|
03-26-07, 05:53 PM
The reason theres not AA in STALKER is because the game uses deferred shading for its lighting, not because Dynamic lighting per se. If you were able to disable deferred shading but key the dynamic lights AA would work flawlessly.

Doom3 has Dynamic lighting and AA works perfectly.

GamerGuyX
03-26-07, 06:28 PM
yes to all the above, why did you need to see fit to create another thread on the game when there is already a main thread for it? Your not special...

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e182/1337_GamerGuyX/lol.jpg

kevJ420
03-26-07, 09:25 PM
this is exactly why MSAA and CSAA suck. Trust me, I'm right about whatever I say about AA. I can't help it that I'm right, and I simply am trying to look out for everyone else. I want the best for everyone, myself, and nvidia. If nvidia were to use aa that was any good, it would be easier on them too.

On a side note see if nhancer's ss modes work. They should.

This is totally killing me. I hope the geforce 9 will be out soon. or maybe they can add an acceptable aa mode to the 8950gx2.

Totally disturbing that you can't have the best looking aa, and you also can't have it with all games. All over a practice named benchmarking.

If benchmarking didn't exist, people wouldn't know the difference at least .5 of the time.

But I think between no aa and a good aa, people would see a much bigger difference than they would between 60fps and 80 fps.

As long as the frame rate is smooth, then why does it have to be higher?

That's what I want to know

CaptNKILL
03-26-07, 09:39 PM

:rofl

|MaguS|
03-26-07, 09:41 PM
Yeah Kevpla 4 th3 win!

I love how you think RGSS is so great but guess what, you really don't know how well it would have worked with deferred shading due to it not being used, for all we know it could have broken the game. Just STFU about AA and how poor MAA is, if it was so horrible im sure Nvidia wouldn't be using it. Im pretty sure they know more about it then your simple retarded mind could ever.

****ing retard.

kevJ420
03-26-07, 09:44 PM
All ss modes work without any compatibility issues. That's the benefit of it other than quality.

Anandtech has an article on it.

sillyeagle
03-26-07, 10:00 PM
All ss modes work without any compatibility issues. That's the benefit of it other than quality.

To prove how much you know why not show us a screenshot of STALKER using Full Dynamic Lighting with AA applied?

kevJ420
03-27-07, 02:15 PM
To prove how much you know why not show us a screenshot of STALKER using Full Dynamic Lighting with AA applied?

I don't really know how to post screen shots b/c I'm retarded, but if SS is true SS, then it should be compatible with anything. Let me break it down:

OGSS= ordered grid supersampling (only ss mode used by nvidia to present, from the geforce 2 gts in 2000)

RGSS= rotated grid super sampling, created by 3dfx for the Voodoo5,

RGMS= rotated grid MSAA (started w/ the Geforce 6 series, and used to present, better msaa than OGMS, which was used by the Geforce FX and it was horrible.)

OGMS= ordered grid MSAA, no longer used, gives horrible IQ.

Here's the advantages and disadvantages of each:

RGMS: disadvantages: only does edges, does them not nearly as good as SS, especially RGSS, not 100% compatible.
advantage: speed (and not enough speed loss to justify horrible compatibility and not having the very best IQ)

SS:
disadvantages: speed (and only speed)
advantages: aa's everything, AA's edges much better than msaa (which is the only thing msaa can do), 100% compatibility (will work with any rendering techniques that ever have been/ever will be.) You won't run into future compatibility issues in the future.

Now, why nvidia does not use RGSS:

Nvidia and ATI really care about having the highest benchmark #'s even if it's a 1/2 an fps (99.5 fps vs 100 fps.) It's apparent in other ways as well, such as all of the compression of a rediculous number of types, especially considering they're forced.

3dfx decided to do something different from nv and ati. They created RGSS.

all ati and nvidia do is try to get the highest benchmark numbers. I like nvidia better than ATI b/c does too much stupid ****, like no hw support for true trilinear and no fp16 filtering, thus taking away more resources from the developers and lower IQ for the end user.

However, I really wish there were options so that would suit everybody would have a choice, instead of things being forced.

So when anyone complains about not having AA in a game, then I really think that they should recognise that they could have AA with the game they're playing, higher quality in addition to compatibility, and it doesn't even have to be forced, for those who prefer higher performance aa methods.

So it would be easier on all of us. People are unhappy that they can't have aa w/ oblivion or splinter cell or vegas, and/or that they can't have it work perfectly.

sillyeagle
03-27-07, 06:15 PM
Just remember its easy to sit back, read some info, and proclaim your self and expert, but that does not mean you are.

A lot of computer dudes go through a stage early on where they learn some stuff about computers, then think they are some kind of computer guru. I have to deal with these kinds of dudes all the time, and they are very annoying because they think they know more than everybody else, but they don't.

Its like these guys that go and get thier MCSE, and then think they're some kind of computer engineer even though they've never managed a network in real life.

kevJ420
03-27-07, 06:48 PM
Just remember its easy to sit back, read some info, and proclaim your self and expert, but that does not mean you are.

A lot of computer dudes go through a stage early on where they learn some stuff about computers, then think they are some kind of computer guru. I have to deal with these kinds of dudes all the time, and they are very annoying because they think they know more than everybody else, but they don't.

Its like these guys that go and get thier MCSE, and then think they're some kind of computer engineer even though they've never managed a network in real life.

I never said I was an expert. There's a ****load of things I don't know about computers. I can't even open my mind to coding. I suck at it.

Like I said, go to anandtech for the article, it's on the front page. It has to do with deferred lighting conflicting w/ msaa and csaa, like the msaa/csaa points can't be calculated or something.

sillyeagle
03-27-07, 07:04 PM
I never said I was an expert. There's a ****load of things I don't know about computers. I can't even open my mind to coding. I suck at it.

Like I said, go to anandtech for the article, it's on the front page. It has to do with deferred lighting conflicting w/ msaa and csaa, like the msaa/csaa points can't be calculated or something.

Well you did say that you are right about anything you say about antialiasing, and that you cannot help that you are right. Thats a pretty big statement to make, especially when you are knocking on the decisions of worlds top graphics engineers.

SH64
03-27-07, 08:52 PM
Surprisngly this game still looks very good without AA. unlike other games (ex. FEAR , COR or Vegas) & for some reason i cant notice the jaggies clearly @ high resolutions.
i think it has something to do with the game's engine itself .. maybe someone with a technical background can fill me in ?

|MaguS|
03-27-07, 08:54 PM
Surprisngly this game still looks very good without AA. unlike other games (ex. FEAR , COR or Vegas) & for some reason i cant notice the jaggies clearly @ high resolutions.
i think it has something to do with the game's engine itself .. maybe someone with a technical background can fill me in ?

Im sure Kevpla can explain it to you.

kevJ420
03-27-07, 08:55 PM
Well you did say that you are right about anything you say about antialiasing, and that you cannot help that you are right. Thats a pretty big statement to make, especially when you are knocking on the decisions of worlds top graphics engineers.

They know everything too. I even told you the reason why they only allow msaa and csaa.

It's because of benchmarks. They know that msaa and csaa isn't 100% compatible and they know that it is inferior, they just prefer to have higher benchmark numbers.

I think they should give the options, and they could always say, "if you don't benchmark our cards only w/ msaa and csaa, then we won't send you a review sample."

Neither ATI nor nvidia want their benchmark scores to be 1% less than their competitor.

I've simplified it as much as I possibly can, and pointed out all of the consequences.

Remember, if you want aa with every game, and/or want the best quality of aa, then msaa and csaa are not good enough for you.

Deferred lighting is going to be the next big thing. MSAA and CSAA don't work with it. Keep that in mind. Plus you can always have the option.

sillyeagle
04-03-07, 06:49 PM

Yeah the engine has a form of edge softening built in. You can see it here along both vertical edges and the horizontal edge.

http://sio.midco.net/111lll/stalkeraa.jpg