PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Folding might just be its savior

Tygerwoody
03-26-07, 09:33 AM
The millions of dollars Sony has spend on advertising has been NOTHING in comparison to the free advertising they are getting now.

I was begining to think PS3 was doomed, but now I believe they will be just fine. Now that this folding has infected the population into believing the PS3 is faster than even the fastest computers, I see a future where people will be buying the PS3 for other uses as opposed to a gaming console. My prediction is that PS3 will start getting business/home programs to run on it. Since the PS3 is "faster than a home computer" average users would be "stupid" to use their home PC when they could use a "faster" machine that is the PS3.

Of course we all know what is going to happen next. While Sony is getting all this free advertising, they will have to one up it. They will have to spend millions upon millions more to premote thier free advertising to let everyone know they are "faster than home computers" or "fastest processor". They will probably pull an Apple Computer and get sued by the Better Business Bearue. Once again they will be put into debt even more and the cycle continues.

OWA
03-26-07, 09:46 AM
Hopefully they will come out with something to maybe explain it a little more. Reading some forums, people keep asking what it is and why they should do it.

Athena
03-26-07, 09:53 AM
No one I know outside the tech forums knows what folding is. And now days I only know one person still doing it.

Camp0rz
03-26-07, 11:04 AM
Yeah. I don't really think it's that big of a savior.

If a really amazing game came out for ps3, which I'm sure that will happen eventually, that will make me want the console. But folding will never directly draw people in.

Tygerwoody
03-26-07, 11:21 AM
Yeah. I don't really think it's that big of a savior.

If a really amazing game came out for ps3, which I'm sure that will happen eventually, that will make me want the console. But folding will never directly draw people in.
You arent getting my post. Of course people are going to buy a PS3 for folding. People will buy a PS3 because "its faster than a PC. Heres the proof. Its a chart of how much greater a PS3 is at folding. I don't know what folding is, but the PS3 does it faster than even top end PC's!!!"

I have seen at least 5 news broadcasts on TV completely dedicated to the PS3 "curing cancer" by folding. This is free advertising and it is ALL over.

As stated earlier, I believe PS3 will not be used as much as a gaming console as much as people trying to use them to replace their home PC's. I believe there will be programs dedicated to just PS3 usage. I'm still not buying a PS3, but I'm willing to bet their sales will increase anyway due to this folding advertisement.

Camp0rz
03-26-07, 11:40 AM
No like... I think I get it. Folding will just lead free advertisement that could get people to start thinking of it as something other than a video game console. What confuses me is that Sony doesn't need folding to do that. They could just start marketing it like that.

Sony knows how powerful their chip is and what they can do with it. I'm sure they have a plan of how they're approaching the market and how they are going to sell it. That's why I really doubt the marketing execs at Sony didn't consider selling the ps3 as a home computer kind of thing.

basically I'm trying to say, they've probably considered going that route with it. calling it a "home computing device" but they chose not to. What is going to sell more? A home computing ps3 or a game playing xbox. I could MAYBE see how the market is larger for a computer type of thing, but most people will still just buy computers and it makes sense to.

Lyme
03-26-07, 12:39 PM
IMO the folding@home advertising for the PS3 is far more successful and useful than the "this is living" uk PS3 adverts (If someone understands them, please explain). The general public may not really understand what folding@home is, but they do understand 'find the cure for cancer' and know what Stanford is, which is better than the confusion of the "this is living" adverts.

Nv40
03-26-07, 01:49 PM
Nah... i dont think so. Games is the only thing that can save the PS3 or Xbox360. Folding is good for marketing but its impact in sales in the scientific comunity for aplications will be very minimal at best .

The big winner if there will be any for this folding is the Cell server that Toshiba is advertising to big corporations as a supercomputer. Ibm for example have plans to replace their bluegene (fastest super computer in the world) with Cell servers. Advertising cant get better than that.

Sony lose a lot of money in every playstation3 sold , millions of PS3s sold for non-gaming will only mean a disaster for their finances and the future of the console,since the aplications developed for PS3 could end being free. And games is the only way SOny can make profits.
The oposite is true, if *every* gamer with a Ps3 {today} buys at least 15 games every year, more or less ,Sony will not need to sell any more consoles to beat Microsoft . They will begin to make profits more sooner than their best predictions. Microsoft for example sold near 30 million consoles in the xbox1 ,the hardisk and modding and piracy capabilities sold lots of consoles ,and still the console was a disaster for their finances.

Microsoft use a DVD again so they have more chance to screw again this generation if people manage to pitates their games. Even me wanted to buy their previous console ,after seeing my friend inventory of thousands of free hacked XBox/sega/nintendo and mame games with movies ,all that in the same place. He had more xbox games than any gamestop or blockbuster together. including japanese version. :)

I think nintendo is the only one that get profits for consoles sold. But Sony no way , if they see the PS3 is used to much for anything than games it will instanly ban those aplications or disable even more hardware in the system ,for non gaming aplications.

Wii is the perfect example that you dont need "supercomputers" to be sucessfull. All you need is a very cheap system . but advertise it as an (exercise with fun) machine ,where anyone from 5 to 100 years old can play and the posibility lose weight. hehe
You just need to see their hair style game commercial.. they also market the console as a replacement for kids toys. hehe

The wii sucess is a follow up of the technical strategy of their nintendo DS.
Where the looks is more important that what is inside.

http://www.nintendo.com/systemsds

here is what call marketing in all its glory .. LOL

http://youtube.com/watch?v=p5cPVP_llfo

THe dreamcast could have been re-launched with a similar marketing strategy ,similar wireless remote and IMHO the sucess will be about the same as wii. Unfortunately graphics power is not important for the majority of the society wich dont play games. but solitarite or chekers. a nintendo know this very well.

Fortunately there is always companies like Sony ,that takes the bigger risk and always seek to push the technology and the graphics to a new level.

brady
03-26-07, 05:38 PM
The millions of dollars Sony has spend on advertising has been NOTHING in comparison to the free advertising they are getting now.

I was begining to think PS3 was doomed, but now I believe they will be just fine. Now that this folding has infected the population into believing the PS3 is faster than even the fastest computers, I see a future where people will be buying the PS3 for other uses as opposed to a gaming console. My prediction is that PS3 will start getting business/home programs to run on it. Since the PS3 is "faster than a home computer" average users would be "stupid" to use their home PC when they could use a "faster" machine that is the PS3.

Of course we all know what is going to happen next. While Sony is getting all this free advertising, they will have to one up it. They will have to spend millions upon millions more to premote thier free advertising to let everyone know they are "faster than home computers" or "fastest processor". They will probably pull an Apple Computer and get sued by the Better Business Bearue. Once again they will be put into debt even more and the cycle continues.

Your probably right. Honestly, I'm exhausted from hearing how much faster and more powerful the PS3 is then the home computer. It's like...I don't even know what it's like, but it's wearing me out.