PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose my next piece of hardware.

Pages : [1] 2

DiscipleDOC
03-26-07, 01:21 PM
What should I buy? I'm really leaning towards another GTS card, but I should be okay for right now. With that said, I could buy a 24" monitor, or just save a little more and get a 30-37" monitor. I've also thought about getting the A64 5600 and o/c the heck out of that.

What do you guys think?

stevemedes
03-26-07, 01:28 PM
Westinghouse 37" 1080p monitor :)

Or a Core2Duo rig

J-Mag
03-26-07, 01:35 PM
A single GTS should be fine with the Westinghouse 22in res of 1680 x 1050, so I voted to get a bigger monitor.

However it really depends on what games you are playing and what AA/AF settings you like.

DiscipleDOC
03-26-07, 01:43 PM
Westinghouse 37" 1080p monitor :)

Or a Core2Duo rig
I already got alot invested in the AMD platform.....so I won't be able to do that.

rev.
03-26-07, 01:47 PM
Save up a PC fund and do a complete upgrade when it is necessary (nana2)

DiscipleDOC
03-26-07, 01:48 PM
Well, I already got a good machine, but I want some other stuff. My machine is already top-notch....I just want some extra....ummpff to it.

Capt. Picard
03-26-07, 02:07 PM
Sell the GTS and buy the GTX.

wollyka
03-26-07, 02:48 PM
get a beefier CPU!

LORD-eX-Bu
03-26-07, 02:50 PM
Intel mobo and cpu:lol:

Xion X2
03-26-07, 02:51 PM
Go SLI w/ GTSs. You're going to need it when games like Crysis, etc come out.

1680x1050 is just fine to benefit from SLI. Don't let anyone tell you differently.

methimpikehoses
03-26-07, 02:56 PM
Sell the GTS and buy the GTX.

That's my vote. And get that FX-62 for <$400.

six_storm
03-26-07, 02:56 PM
Definitly go SLI with the 8-series, it's prolly your best option when you want more power. I don't think a CPU bump will make that much of a difference.

CaptNKILL
03-26-07, 03:14 PM
I'm not a big fan of SLI but I voted for the extra GTS.

Small CPU upgrades are pretty much pointless, and a bigger monitor will only make you want more graphics power.

You should also get a massive air cooler for your CPU (if you are still using the stock heat sink) and overclock it. Most of the higher-clocked AMDs don't really overclock all that much, but more cooling on your current CPU will probably do more than buying a new one clocked a couple hundred MHz faster (which would cost hundreds more).

einstein_314
03-26-07, 03:22 PM

Small CPU upgrades are pretty much pointless, and a bigger monitor will only make you want more graphics power.

You should also get a massive air cooler for your CPU (if you are still using the stock heat sink) and overclock it. Most of the higher-clocked AMDs don't really overclock all that much, but more cooling on your current CPU will probably do more than buying a new one clocked a couple hundred MHz faster (which would cost hundreds more).
^^ I agree with the capt'n :captnkill:

DiscipleDOC
03-26-07, 04:17 PM

I got a coolit freezone, so I'm good with the cooler. I will probably buy the pny 8800 gts wednesday. I need another day to think about it.

mcolbourn
03-27-07, 04:22 AM
I would also go for the second GTS, you will get better performance to price ratio going for a second GTS, than selling yours and getting one GTX, or upgrading your CPU.

DiscipleDOC
03-27-07, 09:14 AM
I did think about selling my gts and going gtx. but by the time I do all of that, the 8800 Ultra or the 8900 series will be out. My easiest path would be going gts sli and in the next month, I will get a bigger monitor. I'm also thinking about getting that fx-62 that's on sale newegg.

DiscipleDOC
03-30-07, 10:37 AM
Ok...I've narrowed it down to either a 24" monitor, or another gts to go sli. What do you guys think?

I'm able to play all of my games with some good eye-candy right now, and I have a nice monitor right now (check out the sig)....but I feel like I can do more with a sli setup, but I do want to be able to play games at 1920x1200. :(

Help a brotha out! :D

six_storm
03-30-07, 10:53 AM
I'd say go with a 2nd GTS in SLI. I don't think 2" on your monitor will matter much.

FastRedPonyCar
03-30-07, 11:02 AM
after all has been said and done with me completely overhauling my rig from a 2.4ghz P4 to what's in my sig and tossing in a 22" widescreen in place of a 17" lcd, I can honestly say the monitor was the biggest noticable improvement.

Yeah it takes more graphical prowess to push games at higher resolutions the monitor is capable of displaying but if my 7600GT can handle most games at high settings, I'm sure your 8800GTS won't have any trouble.

Besides, by the time the games actually start coming out that REQUIRE the 8800's to run at optimal settings, think of how low the prices will be on them. you could probably have saved up for a single 8850 or whatever ATi card comes out to compete with it.

DiscipleDOC
03-30-07, 11:31 AM
I'd say go with a 2nd GTS in SLI. I don't think 2" on your monitor will matter much.
Yea...I am really thinking about going to a 30" monitor....but that's a true investment more than anything else.

DiscipleDOC
03-30-07, 11:34 AM
Scratch that...my next purchase is this 37" Westy (http://www.techonweb.com/products/productdetail.aspx?id=C87273&src=PG) for $985!
:eek:

Zelda_fan
03-30-07, 11:49 AM
I did think about selling my gts and going gtx. but by the time I do all of that, the 8800 Ultra or the 8900 series will be out. My easiest path would be going gts sli and in the next month, I will get a bigger monitor. I'm also thinking about getting that fx-62 that's on sale newegg.

TBH I'd wait until the R600 came out before you upgraded your graphics card. An 8800 GTS is absolutely fine for now. I'd upgrade the monitor. I just bought a 1080p HDTV and connect my computer to it through DVI. Never again will I use a computer monitor.

Zelda_fan
03-30-07, 11:50 AM
Scratch that...my next purchase is this 37" Westy (http://www.techonweb.com/products/productdetail.aspx?id=C87273&src=PG) for $985!
:eek:

That is what I would have recommended.

FastRedPonyCar
03-30-07, 12:00 PM
How far away are you going to be sitting from said 37" monitor?

Becuase there is actually a limit to the size of a screen that the human eye considers "normal".

It's like sitting on the front row of a movie theater.... yeah it's huge but kills your eyes.(or mine at least). I've noticed that with my 22" screen, I've got it pushed back further on my desk and I actually sit back a bit further in my chair rather than hunched over at the screen.

Mabey if you wallmount the 37" screen it won't be as bad.