PDA

View Full Version : UK Sony Exec thinks us Americans are "Cheap"

Pages : [1] 2 3

ENU291
03-26-07, 09:10 PM
I'm glad that the PS3 is doing well in the UK but these execs really need to keep their mouths shut!

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=6630

saturnotaku
03-26-07, 09:18 PM
Again, this all goes back to the perceived value of the product. As a Blu-ray player, the PS3 is cheap. Sony's not doing much to play up that angle, and besides, to most people, PlayStation = game console. People wanting a game console aren't going to pony up $600 for something that has a lot of its gaming library shared with the 360 that costs $400. As the PS3's library expands, sales likely will pick up.

|MaguS|
03-26-07, 09:23 PM
He never called US comsumers cheap, he just can't talk properly. His entire statement was taken out of context because he doesn't speak english well.

ENU291
03-26-07, 09:34 PM
He never called US comsumers cheap, he just can't talk properly. His entire statement was taken out of context because he doesn't speak english well.
He is Sony's UK managing director and he doesn't speak english well?!? Then what language DOES he speak well. This is HIS words and I quote: If you take what's considered to be the most expensive and the least expensive – consider the US with its massive land and cheap people. What exactly was taken out of context there?

|MaguS|
03-26-07, 09:39 PM
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3158221

On its face, it appears Maguire's accusing Americans of being cheap -- but he's not. Reading between his verbal misstep, he simply meant the cost of living and labor in the two countries are different

And to follow...

“Many people are saying we're now joining the next-generation console era, but I believe we've stepped over the current next-gen to create the real next-generation,”

Just because he's the UK Exc doesn't mean hes from an English speaking country. Hell, the CEO of SONY CORP is English and works out of the Japanese offices, he barely speaks Japanese and needs a translator.

Am_I_Evil
03-26-07, 09:46 PM
Just because he's the UK Exc doesn't mean hes from an English speaking country. Hell, the CEO of SONY CORP is English and works out of the Japanese offices, he barely speaks Japanese and needs a translator.

the guy's name is Ray Maguire....

oh yeah...definitely sounds like he must be from China or Japan or something....lol...

of course we shouldn't assume he's from an English speaking country...but being a UK exec. and with his name its safe to assume that English is his first language...

|MaguS|
03-26-07, 09:51 PM
the guy's name is Ray Maguire....

yeah...sounds like he must be from China or Japan or something....lol...

of course we shouldn't assume he's from an English speaking country...but being a UK exec. and with his name its safe to assume that English is his first language...

My father has been living in the united states of america for over 30 years, his family is german but was raised in argentina... guess what he speaks broken english, his grammar is horrible and he knows nothing of german. He can speak perfect yiddish and spanish though...

Whos to say he wasn't raise in Poland or somewhere else? Just because his name sounds english doesn't mean his primary language is.

ENU291
03-26-07, 09:51 PM
This is just another example of Sony execs putting their foot directly into their mouths. Reminds me of GWB without a script in front of him.

Peoples-Agent
03-26-07, 10:44 PM
My father has been living in the united states of america for over 30 years, his family is german but was raised in argentina... guess what he speaks broken english, his grammar is horrible and he knows nothing of german. He can speak perfect yiddish and spanish though...

Whos to say he wasn't raise in Poland or somewhere else? Just because his name sounds english doesn't mean his primary language is.

Trust me, if his name is Ray Maguire, he most definately ...wasn't raised in Poland.

http://www.eurogamer.net/tv_video.php?playlist_id=467&s=l

Don't get much more English than that. LoL

What a poncey tosswit , if i've ever seen one.

ENU291
03-26-07, 10:48 PM
[url]Just because he's the UK Exc doesn't mean hes from an English speaking country. Hell, the CEO of SONY CORP is English and works out of the Japanese offices, he barely speaks Japanese and needs a translator.Looky what Peoples-Agent found... an interview with Ray Maguire and guess what?!? He speaks english extremely well. So MaguS, what Ray Maguire were you talking?

|MaguS|
03-26-07, 10:52 PM
Looky what Peoples-Agent found... an interview with Ray Maguire and guess what?!? He speaks english extremely well. So MaguS, what Ray Maguire were you talking?

Eh, I tried... I try to see all possibilities before condemning someone... :p

Throw him in a room with Kutaragi for all I care though, Harrison is the only Sony Exce I think has any idea of how the game industry is. The rest are just chair warmers...

Lyme
03-27-07, 12:01 PM
He never called US comsumers cheap, he just can't talk properly

I agree.

“Many people are saying we're now joining the next-generation console era, but I believe we've stepped over the current next-gen to create the real next-generation,”

The bad grammar in that quote alone is mind boggling.

nemecb
03-27-07, 12:38 PM
I agree.

Err, I see no problem with the grammar. It's a little awkward (and dumb), but grammatically correct.

Peoples-Agent
03-27-07, 12:41 PM
I agree.

Watch the video, your find he is very well spoken and doesn't make a single error while talking infront of a crowd.

He meant exactly what he said.

evilchris
03-27-07, 01:55 PM

omfg you will protect Sony at all costs!

evilchris
03-27-07, 01:56 PM

ROFL

The REAL next gen!!

Mr_LoL
03-27-07, 02:00 PM
ROFL

The REAL next gen!!
Sonys PR spin is great. The thing is a lot of people fall for it. I will be getting a ps3 anyway.

superklye
03-27-07, 02:09 PM
ROFL

The REAL next gen!!
Well, that's probably why you can't program it into your Logitech Harmony. The Harmony is faux next-gen.

npras42
03-27-07, 02:27 PM
I think that when he spoke he didn't think about what he was saying, meaning he didn't mean what you think he meant!

I don't think he meant that Americans were CHEAP, rather cost-of-living etc is cheap for Americans.

kevJ420
03-27-07, 02:29 PM
omfg you will protect Sony at all costs!
Well, if you're going to protect one of the big three, then it might as well be sony, b/c ms charges $229 just for ms word, and nintendo is ripping people off and making a large profit from it. Sony's no sega, but they definately aren't stubborn and ruthless as nintendo has always beeen.

evilchris
03-27-07, 02:31 PM
Sony isn't stubborn and ruthless?

dear god...

|MaguS|
03-27-07, 02:33 PM
Sony isn't stubborn and ruthless?

dear god...

Pricing and PR they are the worse but when it comes to 3rd parties they are (or maybe were) the best to work with when compared to Nintendo in the SNES and N64 days.

superklye
03-27-07, 02:34 PM
Well, if you're going to protect one of the big three, then it might as well be sony, b/c ms charges $229 just for ms word, and nintendo is ripping people off and making a large profit from it. Sony's no sega, but they definately aren't stubborn and ruthless as nintendo has always beeen.
And they definitely don't try to strong arm their way into every new technology and make it their own proprietary format or anything.

kevJ420
03-27-07, 02:37 PM
He could very well have meant that but it's true. If americans don't pay a lower price for technology than Europeans pay a higher price for, then I think Americans are probably cheap (in general.) The PS3 is a great deal. I would buy a ps3 rather than a stand alone bd-rom player. i don't know about any of you, but I don't want to waste money.

Also, keep in mind the US is behind in tech. In my neighborhood, there's noway in hell it'll ever get ultrawideband, b/c cox and verizon don't even have enough bandwidth for either of themselves. They're fighting over it, trucks from cox adjust the cable lines and then verizon reverses it and vice versa.

ENU291
03-27-07, 02:39 PM
What does Microsoft charging $229 for MS Word have anything to do with what we're talking about here?!? :wtf: Talk about going off topic... (ot)