PDA

View Full Version : PC won't boot! Help!

stevemedes
03-27-07, 10:22 AM
I have this really bad feeling my video card somehow died. I power on my computer, fans and lights come on, but I'm getting no video signal. I've tried clearing the CMOS, switching RAM slots, switching PCIe slots, reseating CPU. I'm even running the computer outside of the case right now, it's a no go. I can't believe this is happening :( This started happening after a failed overclock. Went to reset the computer and bam, all the sudden no video. The fan on the video card spins up, I just dont get it. I tried using different PCIe power connectors. I just dont know what else to try, I've exhausted everything I know to try. Please, if you have any suggestions, please help!. Thanks

-Steve

hirantha
03-27-07, 10:43 AM
did you try the jumpers to reset back to default BIOS? and if that did not help leave the computer overnight without any power coming to it what so ever, thats what i tried when i had the problem and it was fixed by it self the next day

Xion X2
03-27-07, 11:20 AM
Sorry man, but it sounds like your card did go. I had a bad 7900GTX with no video to my monitor when the fan on it was spinning, like yours.

This definitely sucks, but look at the bright side. Aren't eVGA's under lifetime warranty? Maybe you could step up to an 8-series card at a fraction of the cost?

stevemedes
03-27-07, 11:21 AM
did you try the jumpers to reset back to default BIOS? and if that did not help leave the computer overnight without any power coming to it what so ever, thats what i tried when i had the problem and it was fixed by it self the next day

Yeah when this started happening the thread you started popped into my head. I tried leaving it on overnight but to no avail. Wouldn't start up this morning.

Im getting a beep code of one, then three. Im on the phone with
Asus tech support right now and hes saying that thats a graphics card error code. But why would my card just die like that... I never overclocked it even once! Never got any artifacts or anything of that sort either. Oh well. Time to call evga. Makes me real glad I bought a evga card since they have good customer service.

stevemedes
03-27-07, 11:35 AM
*sigh*

rma is issued. really glad i got an evga card just for times like this. theyre customer service is great. the kid on the phone seemed pretty chill. i just hope im not without my computer for like 2 weeks. im almost glad its the video card because i can only imagine how long itd take to get a replacement mobo from asus.

DaveW
03-27-07, 11:40 AM
Were you overclocking the system or the card? If it was the system you may have had your PCIe bus speed too high. If you were just overclocking the card I am surprised you managed to break it.

stevemedes
03-27-07, 11:57 AM
Were you overclocking the system or the card? If it was the system you may have had your PCIe bus speed too high. If you were just overclocking the card I am surprised you managed to break it.

I managed to break it? Riiiiight.

I never overclocked the card, not once, and I had my PCIe speed locked at 100mhz.

I have a ?

evga had me print out a shipping label with a barcode on it. it also says in the email: Shipping method: UPS ground

It also says shipping charges have been waived by evga.

But it another email it says im responsible for shipping it out to them. Does that mean that I can just affix the label to the box and bring it to the UPS store and I wont have to pay? Or do you think i gotta pay?

stevemedes
04-10-07, 09:24 AM
I'm receiving my replacement card tomorrow, the 11th. Very quick turnaround time IMO. About two weeks with ground shipping both ways. Go evga!! :)

Im glad that this time the SKU im getting is the "reloaded" version, so I doubt that it will fail.

Question, can you step up off an RMA card?

Xion X2
04-10-07, 09:58 AM
Question, can you step up off an RMA card?
*LOL* I kinda doubt it, but someone may know better than me. :)

Good luck w/ the new GTX.

stevemedes
04-11-07, 12:40 PM
ok this is bull****

just got the new card

go to start it up, same problem, no video.

giving me a different beep code this time though, one short then two short, which is a video card error, which isnt possible as this is a brand new video card...

i dont know if the 1004 bios increased the pickiness of the ram because my ram is 2.2v. I just dont get it. the only other thing i can think of to try is to buy a cheapo 1.8v stick and see if that works. but it shouldnt even be posting if thats the problem.

thoughts?

DiscipleDOC
04-11-07, 12:47 PM
You may have a bad board. Do you have another board there you can test out?

stevemedes
04-11-07, 01:02 PM
You may have a bad board. Do you have another board there you can test out?

unfortunately no :(

im gonna give asus tech support a ring right now

stevemedes
04-11-07, 01:19 PM
now its giving me one short then three short, just like before. theres no way evga sent me a dead video card. this mobo has gotta go.

Xion X2
04-11-07, 01:45 PM
I would try a cheap stick of RAM first. If you have a Best Buy near you, they'll let you return opened RAM for 21 days after the purchase.

Every time I've had no video it's either been a memory or video card problem.

stevemedes
04-11-07, 02:09 PM
thats the last thing im gonna try. if that doesnt work the board is goin back. wish me luck boys.

stevemedes
04-11-07, 02:20 PM
just really weird that all the sudden it would decide to be picky about the volts on my ram. ive never had an issue until now. :(

Xion X2
04-11-07, 02:25 PM
just really weird that all the sudden it would decide to be picky about the volts on my ram. ive never had an issue until now. :(

Strange, but it does happen.

stevemedes
04-11-07, 04:03 PM
It works..

Wonder what I did to fix it?

Used vga cable to monitor instead of DVI.
Any reason why it would all the sudden not want to take a DVI input?

So glad this is fixed.

DiscipleDOC
04-11-07, 04:22 PM
It works..

Wonder what I did to fix it?

Used vga cable to monitor instead of DVI.
Any reason why it would all the sudden not want to take a DVI input?

So glad this is fixed.
Did you try this before the RMA?

stevemedes
04-11-07, 04:36 PM
Did you try this before the RMA?

of course i did. and evga wouldnt have sent me a new video card unless my old one was broken...