PDA

View Full Version : Just bought some Logitech Z-5500's

Pages : [1] 2

Bearclaw
03-27-07, 07:51 PM
I am excited. This will blow my old crappy speakers out of the water, not to mention my RD who lives right below me. :cool:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121120

Bman212121
03-27-07, 08:01 PM
I am excited. This will blow my old crappy speakers out of the water, not to mention my RD who lives right below me. :cool:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121120

What did you have before?

And yes, the Z5500's are incredible for the price. You will really love them. :D

Also, give it hell after you break them in. ;) (And remember, if you keep turning the volume knob even after it says it is full, it will go higher giving you boost 1 - 10.)

Mathesar
03-28-07, 12:08 AM
Yep the Z5500's are very good for the price, I replaced my Z680's with them and while it wasnt a huge step up the 10" subwoofer upgrade alone was worth it.

Bearclaw
03-28-07, 12:11 AM

And yes, the Z5500's are incredible for the price. You will really love them. :D

Also, give it hell after you break them in. ;) (And remember, if you keep turning the volume knob even after it says it is full, it will go higher giving you boost 1 - 10.)
I had some 2 watt s piece speakers that i bought for 5 bucks just to have some. I am excited for the new ones. They will be ****ing awesome.

mullet
03-28-07, 12:24 AM
Hard to beat the ole Z5500's, good choice I love mine.

Bman212121
03-28-07, 12:58 AM
I had some 2 watt s piece speakers that i bought for 5 bucks just to have some. I am excited for the new ones. They will be ****ing awesome.

LOL!!!! You better brace yourself, I don't know if you know what your getting into. :captnkill: Your going to be like *********** ********* **************** ******************************* ******************* **************** ********* those speakers are insane. :D

Bearclaw
03-28-07, 02:02 AM
LOL!!!! You better brace yourself, I don't know if you know what your getting into. :captnkill: Your going to be like *********** ********* **************** ******************************* ******************* **************** ********* those speakers are insane. :D
Haha, that's what I am expecting. I am so excited to get them. They should be here by friday.

RAY16
03-28-07, 03:49 AM
Just remember that Logitech speakers require a little tweaking to sound their best. Out of the box the bass is too boomy and overpowers the satellites, so I highly suggest adjusting bass levels to the point where they don't overpower the satellites as soon as you get the system.

Mr Bigman
03-28-07, 11:31 AM
Good speakers due, i got those too and they do sound pretty good but follow Superkyle's Mixer tweak guide and your set for a long time.

Tygerwoody
03-28-07, 11:40 AM
Good speakers due, i got those too and they do sound pretty good but follow Superkyle's Mixer tweak guide and your set for a long time.
If he is going for a surround sound setup, he does not want to follow Superklye's guide. Superklye has all of his speakers side by side. While it might sound good for his setup, it sounds like crap if you have a true surround sound setup. Im not dissing his guide because its a great guide, but for a person with surround sound they will have to alter quite a bit more.

Bearclaw
03-29-07, 08:18 PM

As far as breaking them in, anything I need to do specifically? Also, where can I find the tweak guide you guys are talking about?

einstein_314
03-29-07, 08:40 PM
If he is going for a surround sound setup, he does not want to follow Superklye's guide. Superklye has all of his speakers side by side. While it might sound good for his setup, it sounds like crap if you have a true surround sound setup. Im not dissing his guide because its a great guide, but for a person with surround sound they will have to alter quite a bit more.
I've got my Z5300's in a true surround arrangement...and I have pretty much the same settings that superklye used in his guide...and they sound fantastic. Are you referring to just playing stereo music? Or gaming in 5.1?

Bearclaw
03-29-07, 10:15 PM
I've got my Z5300's in a true surround arrangement...and I have pretty much the same settings that superklye used in his guide...and they sound fantastic. Are you referring to just playing stereo music? Or gaming in 5.1?
Both. More music than gaming, that's for sure. I listen to music quite a bit when I am at my PC.

Also, what is the difference between 'total power' and 'peak power'?

Total Power: 280 Watts
Peak power: 560 Watts

Thanks guys.

glObalist
03-30-07, 05:20 AM
Just remember that Logitech speakers require a little tweaking to sound their best. Out of the box the bass is too boomy and overpowers the satellites, so I highly suggest adjusting bass levels to the point where they don't overpower the satellites as soon as you get the system.

I found myself adjusting the subwoofer level of my Z-5400s down to just 1.5-2 out of the 10(?) bars it gives you on the display. Anything more and it really overpowers your satellites. Boomy = yuck! :D

FastRedPonyCar
03-30-07, 12:34 PM
eh, for basic gaming they're ok. My wife is using my 560's.

I'm using a pair of M-audio BX8a speakers. They're studio monitors mainly intended for studio recording and music playback and each speaker is packing an 8" sub. Decent bass but a friend of mine at work who ironically is in no way shape or form into recording, after hearing mine, went to guitar center and bought a pair of the smaller BX5a's (http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BX5a/) and the BX10s (http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BX10Sub/) and the sound is unreal. His setup will shake drywall dust from the air vents in the ceiling.

By and large, the sound quality from almost all desktop speakers is completely inferior to budget studio speakers. A good sound card helps compensate but even then, the speakers themselves are incapable of reproducing a huge part of the sound spectrum. Desktop speakers are good at proudcinga lot of bass and a lot of highs but very little midrange which is where 90% of the actual music is. The little speakers in the satellites are simply too small to accurately reproduce the lower midrange that most music and voices thrive at.

I'm not knocking the 5500's as they're great desktop speakers but for good music reproduction, they're terrible unless you're into rap. What they do accel at that my BX8a's (without the sub) can't do (along with only offering 2.1 audio) is reproduce those low frequencies that are predominant in games. Explosions, gunfire, tanks, etc... tons of low end, tons of highs. So with that in mind, yes the 5500's are an excellent choice.

They woudln't work in my scenario however. I've taken cd's with music I've recorded and mixed on those 560's the wife is using into guitar center to hear them on studio monitors when I was trying to decide which ones I wanted and I was shocked to hear how terrible the mix sounded on studio speakers becuase the logitechs simply couldn't reproduce the main sound freqencies needed. I also took the cd to best buy to listen to them on all the top of the line PC desktop speakers thinking that mabey my logitechs were just outdated but the songs on the cd sounded great... the same way they did at my house and for me, that was unacceptable because if I could get a mix that sounds terrible on studio monitors to sound good, it will sound phenomenal on desktop speakers...and that's exactly what's happend.

Anyways, yeah man congrats on the new speakers. They'll kick your butt in games.

Bearclaw
03-30-07, 12:37 PM
Everyone keeps saying turn this or that down to 10. Where is that?

FastRedPonyCar
03-30-07, 12:44 PM
did you read the manual?

Bearclaw
03-30-07, 12:50 PM
did you read the manual?
Check. :o

:cool:

Bman212121
03-30-07, 12:50 PM
Both. More music than gaming, that's for sure. I listen to music quite a bit when I am at my PC.

Also, what is the difference between 'total power' and 'peak power'?

Total Power: 280 Watts
Peak power: 560 Watts

Thanks guys.

Total Power is the RMS (Root Mean Sqaure) I've also heard it referred as Rated Maximium. It is basically the amount of power that the amplifier continiously outputs, or in the case of the speakers, the amount of power that they can continiously handle.

The peak power is the maximum amount an amp can push, or in the case of speakers the maximum amount that they can handle before they blow. This is mainly used IMO to make the product sound like it is more powerful than it is. Some setups will show the peak, and others the RMS. Car amps and subs are almost always listed as peak, but a lot of home stuff is continous, or RMS.

There is a lot more to it, but that is kind of the general idea.

Bman212121
03-30-07, 12:54 PM
Check. :o

:cool:

Some times you can't adjust certain settings because of the type of input you have. To adjust the sub, you want to either use the handy remote that has it right on it in the middle, or hit the level button once. The Z5500's don't have numbers, but if you turn the dial, you can adjust it up and down.

As far as break in, I don't know of any specific things, but usually you want to just play music at no more than half for a while to warm them up. Basically just don't crank them as soon as you tear open the box, that way the speakers get a chance to loosen up a bit.

Bearclaw
03-30-07, 12:56 PM
Some times you can't adjust certain settings because of the type of input you have. To adjust the sub, you want to either use the handy remote that has it right on it in the middle, or hit the level button once. The Z5500's don't have numbers, but if you turn the dial, you can adjust it up and down.

As far as break in, I don't know of any specific things, but usually you want to just play music at no more than half for a while to warm them up. Basically just don't crank them as soon as you tear open the box, that way the speakers get a chance to loosen up a bit.
Alright. Thanks a lot for your mhelp bman!

glObalist
03-30-07, 01:03 PM
Ironically, I find myself enjoying music a lot more on my Z5400s than I ever did on my previous BX5a's. Those were great for mixing work but terrible in pure music enjoyment sense, as they sounded too flat.

Bman212121
03-30-07, 01:12 PM
Alright. Thanks a lot for your mhelp bman!

np :thumbsup:

FastRedPonyCar
03-30-07, 03:07 PM
as they sounded too flat.

That's the whole idea with studio monitors though. Flat even response with no artificial eq'ing being done by the speakers.

The 5a's need a sub though as they only really output midrange and upper mids/highs. Adding that BX10 sub made the music like going from a little black and white TV to a 60" HDTV.

Then again, the guy who records our band has a pair of Genelec and Adam monitors. The Adams alone cost $30,000!

http://soniccircus.com/s.nl/it.A/id.5885/.f

But the good news is that his record label paid for all the stuff in his studio becuase rather than paying a 3rd party to record the artists, they could just spend some money to build a studio and be done with it.

we're just really appreciative that he takes time from touring and recording other bands to help record the "little guys" in town who aren't signed.

Bearclaw
03-30-07, 03:17 PM
That's the whole idea with studio monitors though. Flat even response with no artificial eq'ing being done by the speakers.

The 5a's need a sub though as they only really output midrange and upper mids/highs. Adding that BX10 sub made the music like going from a little black and white TV to a 60" HDTV.

Then again, the guy who records our band has a pair of Genelec and Adam monitors. The Adams alone cost $30,000!

http://soniccircus.com/s.nl/it.A/id.5885/.f

But the good news is that his record label paid for all the stuff in his studio becuase rather than paying a 3rd party to record the artists, they could just spend some money to build a studio and be done with it.

we're just really appreciative that he takes time from touring and recording other bands to help record the "little guys" in town who aren't signed.
Holy ****. I just checked those out. 30 grand! Wow.