PDA

View Full Version : Oblivion:Shivering Isles Discussion Thread

Pages : [1] 2

Arioch
03-27-07, 09:18 PM
Well I am installing the expansion for Oblivion right now and will post some initial impressions soon.

|MaguS|
03-27-07, 09:19 PM
Im not installing it untill I know if it kills mods or not.

nekrosoft13
03-27-07, 09:25 PM
excactly what i need to know before i buy this thing

ArrowMk84
03-27-07, 09:33 PM
Most of the mods that the 1.2 patch killed have already been updated, so you should be fine there.

However, Shivering Isles did update the Oblivion ESM version number, so the CS can no longer read it. The CS wiki has a tool that can revert the version number, but the mod community isn't all too happy about it...

Edit: Yes, I have SI installed and I've been playing it without issue.

nekrosoft13
03-27-07, 09:35 PM
CS?

|MaguS|
03-27-07, 09:38 PM
Most of the mods that the 1.2 patch killed have already been updated, so you should be fine there.

However, Shivering Isles did update the Oblivion ESM version number, so the CS can no longer read it. The CS wiki has a tool that can revert the version number, but the mod community isn't all too happy about it...

Edit: Yes, I have SI installed and I've been playing it without issue.

Do you have a know list of mods that it kills? Is it basically world graphic mods or are gameplay mods broken aswell?

ArrowMk84
03-27-07, 10:02 PM
CS?

Construction Set

Arioch
03-27-07, 10:04 PM
I fixed my graphical issues running archive invalidation in OMM when the patch came out. Well I have spent about 10 minutes in the new area and I like the look of it - different from Cyrodill and reminds me of Morrowind. I have posted my first screenshot of many in the screenshot thread.

Make sure to lighten up your load before going in - lots of goodies to take back to the regular world I hear.

ArrowMk84
03-27-07, 10:04 PM
Do you have a know list of mods that it kills? Is it basically world graphic mods or are gameplay mods broken aswell?

Fran's had to have the BSA files registered in the .ini.

MMM needed a hot fix (released)

OBSE needed a new version (released - beta).

The unofficial patch works, but will probably need to have some things removed, as Bethesda address a few of the issues UOP fixed.

Most everything else is fine. Graphics mods are fine, as long as you remember to remove any BSA edits before patching (honestly, to install the patch, I'd start with a clean install).

CaptNKILL
03-28-07, 07:06 AM
I'll probably get this eventually.

Once I get my Oblivion running the way I want I'm going to beef it up with all of the extra quests, Knights of the Nine (which I've had since Christmas), Shivering Isles and all the mods I can get.

DRen72
03-28-07, 08:39 AM
I'll try this one too, but I'm going to reinstall from scratch first and keep my saved games. I had tons of mods installed mostly visuals and from the looks of things this new patch improves a lot of things in that area.

Arioch
03-28-07, 01:36 PM
I played a good 6 hours+ of this last night and I like the twisted humor in some of the quests. I don't want to post any spoilers but I will say the expansion made me think of Chaos/Law from the Elric books.

newparad1gm
03-28-07, 06:17 PM
All my graphics mods, including Qarl's Texture Pack 3 and the 4096 normal map LODs, still work after installing Shivering Isles. I wonder if the Shivering Isles reuse any of the textures from Cyrodiil, and if QTP3 replaces those, would they get replaced in the Shivering Isles as well? Its too bad I heard that Qarl won't be doing a high-resolution pack for the Shivering Isles, as this place looks pretty nice already.

LORD-eX-Bu
03-28-07, 06:44 PM
oh man I didn't know this was out already:D

SH64
03-28-07, 07:57 PM
All my graphics mods, including Qarl's Texture Pack 3 and the 4096 normal map LODs, still work after installing Shivering Isles.
Thats what i want to make sure the expansion dosent kill.
QT3 , the 4K LOD texture maps & the unique landscape mods .. if those are working for you then i guess i'm good to go ahead & get the expansion ...

Arioch
03-28-07, 08:52 PM
I have to check my folders when I get home but it looks like the new area has its own set of textures and meshes for the most part. The texture memory usage is way down when I am in the Shivering Isles so I am pretty sure none of TPIII is being used there. It also does not look like the LOD stuff is working but with the new shader it does not look bad. On the plus side my performance is fantastic and I can see how badly Qarl's textures impact my performance in Cyrodill and I do not get some of the stuttering or "popping" in of areas like I would in the regular world.

|MaguS|
03-28-07, 09:17 PM
Im gonna get it once D2D has it available... they have been acting really ****ty lately.

Blacklash
03-29-07, 06:44 PM
I been playing it some today imo it's very cool. I'd like to talk about it and I don't want to spoil it for you guys. It's much better letting it unfold. If you like Oblivion you'll enjoy it. I was going to post some screens and they might be spoilers so I'll wait a while.

I am just using the latest Oblivion patch and Knight of the Nine with it. Don't try to rush through it or I bet you will miss a lot of fine detail. I had to make myself slow down and replay a few parts of it. :p too dang eager.

Arioch
03-30-07, 04:15 AM
Well I finished the main quest tonight - took me about 20 hours with a few hours of random quests done and I still got a ton of side quests to do. I don't want to post any spoilers so I will just say it had a satisfying ending for me. I also managed to get a full suit of the magic heavy armor that you can out together in this realm. Be sure to talk to the smiths in both sides of the main city to find out information on this. I posted a picture in the screenshots thread on what the armor looks like, including shield and sword in case anyone wants to see what it looks like worn - there are armor stands in the game that also show you but not as detailed as the screenshot I posted so I felt it was safe to post it without spoiling it for someone.

Becoming
03-30-07, 12:33 PM
I'm enjoying it so far, though I haven't gotten a huge way in yet. I'm digging the atmosphere (shades of Morrowind at times) and some of the npcs are quite amusing in a deranged sort of way.

russ_3d
03-30-07, 01:18 PM
(shades of Morrowind at times)

havent got it yet, but from the videos im agreeing. i much prefer the style of this and MW rather than oblivion. OB seemed a bit too 'normal' for me. the scenery and monsters are more up my surreal street it seems :cool:

Becoming
03-30-07, 03:16 PM
It's rather nice to have the atmosphere of both when you have this installed. It's definitely a nice change of pace in that regard from vanilla Oblivion, and the setting makes things seem more new and interesting than they might have been otherwise.

In any case, I can't wait to find enough stuff to make some of those shiny new weapons and armor.

Blacklash
03-30-07, 08:10 PM
Hey guys does patch 1.2 include all the fixes in 1.1? I am asking you need to install both.

sillyeagle
03-30-07, 08:13 PM
I don't beleive I ever installed 1.1, and after installed the expansion I was at 1.2.

radekhulan
03-31-07, 07:27 AM
Im gonna get it once D2D has it available... they have been acting really ****ty lately.

I purchased Oblivion at D2D as well, but now they do not seem to sell Shivering Isles to European customers, only NA. Also no official 1.2 patch for Oblivion purchased at D2D (yet?).

I will not purchase from them anything again...