PDA

View Full Version : Will uncompressed sky maps ever be used?

kevJ420
03-27-07, 10:11 PM
One thing that has always pissed me off about 3D graphics, is the damn ultra-compressed sky maps. They're too damn blotchy and they even have banding sometimes. Why the **** don't drivers or games allow you to turn off compression? We're the ones that have to look at it and we should be given a choice.

How much higher do the damn frame rates need to be if they'd be 100% smooth without having all of this damn compression forced upon us?

I mean, some people judge a card based on benchmarks only, but then there's those who care about having the very best iq. It doesn't hurt to offer the options. That's only fair.

Xion X2
03-28-07, 01:09 AM
What the hell is banding?

Furthermore, have you checked out games like Vanguard that have volumetric clouds that hang between the sky and the ground?

einstein_314
03-28-07, 01:49 AM
What the hell is banding?

Furthermore, have you checked out games like Vanguard that have volumetric clouds that hang between the sky and the ground?
Banding is what you get when you can see the colour steps in a gradient....

sure older games had this problem....but I haven't noticed it for quite some time now....

Bearclaw
03-28-07, 02:48 AM
I disagree. A lot og games that feature skies and skymaps look really good. To me at least...

XxDeadlyxX
03-28-07, 03:00 AM
STALKER sky looks brilliant... but at nighttime near the horizon you notice some pixelation, probably from the compression. :)

buffbiff21
03-28-07, 03:10 AM
Oblivion with the Night Sky mod looks pretty damn sweet to me.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o148/buffbiff21/ScreenShot7.jpg

rhink
03-28-07, 08:55 AM
I'd prefer to see them go the other way... texture compression doubles (or more) the resolution of the textures you can fit in the same amount of video memory. That increase more than outstrips any quality loss from the compression.

kevJ420
03-28-07, 12:27 PM
I'd prefer to see them go the other way... texture compression doubles (or more) the resolution of the textures you can fit in the same amount of video memory. That increase more than outstrips any quality loss from the compression.

That's fine for you, but I prefer no banding and no artifacting over sharper details. Why can't they just give the damn choice? How does giving the choice hurt? Benchmarks I guess. I have no ****ing place to turn to if I want to be able to turn off the damn compression. It's making life very difficult for me.

J-Mag
03-28-07, 02:26 PM
I have no ****ing place to turn to if I want to be able to turn off the damn compression. It's making life very difficult for me.

You'd be hurting more if you turned off texture compression... Frame rate would plummet. Anyway I am willing to bet there is some way rivatuner can turn it off...

Xion X2
03-28-07, 02:28 PM
Kev, what are the specs on your system? What kind of graphics card do you have?

kevJ420
03-28-07, 02:37 PM
You'd be hurting more if you turned off texture compression... Frame rate would plummet. Anyway I am willing to bet there is some way rivatuner can turn it off...

Thanks, riva tuner can turn it off to a degree, and I guess I should say once again, that i really don't care about frame rates. Unless it's unplayable, then I rather have the best image q possible instead of performance being forced upon me at the expense of iq.

kevJ420
03-28-07, 02:38 PM
Kev, what are the specs on your system? What kind of graphics card do you have?

8800gtx acs3 x 2

Zelda_fan
03-28-07, 02:48 PM
Oblivion with the Night Sky mod looks pretty damn sweet to me.

You should check out the night sky textures on Shivering Isles. They are awesome.

einstein_314
03-28-07, 02:50 PM
I don't understand you at all....how on earth is having texture compression on sky textures in games making your life difficult? Because from what I can tell....you don't have a life. :p

Xion X2
03-28-07, 02:55 PM
8800gtx acs3 x 2

And you're still complaining about image quality? Good god.

How many newer games have you played? Because, even though I think the new G80s have made even older games look splendid, you can't really blame any lack of image quality on the hardware unless the game came out after it did. And even then, many cases of poor IQ are due to lazy programming.

jolle
03-28-07, 03:50 PM
FP16 skyboxes would be awesome hehe.
I THINK the skybox in "the buglooker" demo (NV GF7) is a FP16 texture that is used to light the scene aswell.. not really sure tho..

lduguay
03-28-07, 05:03 PM
Hey kevpla1, look up. Blam! :headexplode: too late.

kevJ420
03-28-07, 05:56 PM
FP16 skyboxes would be awesome hehe.
I THINK the skybox in "the buglooker" demo (NV GF7) is a FP16 texture that is used to light the scene aswell.. not really sure tho..

Fortunately fp16 rts can't be compressed, no transistors for it, and there are transistors present for filtering fp16 rts (on nvidia cards that is, ati wants the latest games to have ps1/saturn quality textures.)

Textures are broken if they aren't HW filtered (and without optimisations, of course.)

Belarnion
03-28-07, 06:20 PM
I need pics of these blotchy übercompressed skymaps your talking about in order to have an opinion on this.

kevpla1@cox.net? I need them pics. :)

DRen72
03-29-07, 08:38 AM
The sky looks good in ArmA (Armed Assault) also. As pointed out, some games have pretty good sky. Heck, I remember when I first saw a moving sky in a game. I thought that was awesome!

CaptNKILL
03-29-07, 09:37 AM
I think Morrowind still has some of the best skies ever.

HiCZoK4
03-29-07, 05:06 PM
I think Morrowind still has some of the best skies ever.

totally agree with captn !!!!!! I played morrowind recently and at 1 hour oclock in night the sky look so damn nice :headexplode: :headexplode: :headexplode: