PDA

View Full Version : WARNING!!! Some will be hurt by the truth - Sony on the Xbox 360 Elite announcement

Pages : [1] 2

S.I.N
03-27-07, 10:13 PM
"Sony Responds to Impending Xbox 360 Elite Announcement"
http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/03/sony_responds_t.html

We think every PlayStation 3 owner should have an “elite” experience, which is why we include an internal hard drive and HDMI output in every PS3 we sell, along with the 50 GB of storage capacity on a high definition Blu-ray disc. Sony has been the strongest advocate of high definition as the future of next-generation gaming. This requires high-definition components, including HDMI output, and large storage devices to deliver and store all that rich and vivid HD content. Microsoft’s announcement today not only legitimizes Sony’s PS3 strategy, it moves us closer to adopting universal standards in the area of high definition gaming that will benefit game developers and ultimately the end user.

There you have it.

toxikneedle
03-27-07, 10:18 PM
I've probably said this 30000 times before on this forum, at least everytime the rumors of the new 360 revision came around. MS is obviously going to try to match all of the PS3s features, which is the reason things like 1080p became available.

The bottom line is, when you look at the console's features on paper (not performance wise) you should have as little differences as possible. MS sitting still isn't much of a strategy.

And what is Sony saying here, "MS only did this because we did it" Noooooooooooooo really? They don't have a choice when it ocmes to these things.

Bman212121
03-27-07, 10:28 PM
Now if they keep the same price point, there might be a 360 being added to my HT. :)

The response from Sony is typical of any competitor, but it is going to be great for potential 360 owners who might have been on the fence because of "x" feature that was lacking.

Competition will help everyone out, as it is going to keep Sony on their toes so we'll keep getting nice updates like we have thus far. It kind of stinks for current 360 owners that they'll need a new console to get the features, but the option is there and they don't "have" to upgrade. (At least not yet, but that is another topic)

Sazar
03-27-07, 10:30 PM
Forgive me if I am wrong, but the ps3 came out after the xb360. Sony naturally sought to have features beyond that of the xb360 and now Microsoft is trying to flip the parity switch.

I applaud all 3 vendors for great products, but some of the marketing is getting nonsensical.

Bman212121
03-27-07, 10:34 PM
Forgive me if I am wrong, but the ps3 came out after the xb360. Sony naturally sought to have features beyond that of the xb360 and now Microsoft is trying to flip the parity switch.

I applaud all 3 vendors for great products, but some of the marketing is getting nonsensical.

The million dollar question is... Will it work? Every addon that I can remember didn't do that well, but maybe something will change. People usually buy console because they last a while, but this kind of mixes things up. I'm thinking about the 64DD, the 32x genesis, and I think they had something for the super to play NES games, but I can't remember.

Sazar
03-27-07, 10:38 PM
But the "elite" is essentially still the same as a regular xbox360.

Bman212121
03-27-07, 10:44 PM
But the "elite" is essentially still the same as a regular xbox360.

Now that I'm reading a little more about it, your right that it isn't a major change. The bigger HD isn't a big deal, and if the 360 could already do 1080p over vga, then HDMI isn't going to be that big of a difference minus adding the crappy HDCP so you have to use compatible equipment.

Actually, that makes me wonder... Can you play current HD-DVD's in the 360 over vga at full res?

toxikneedle
03-27-07, 10:49 PM
Now that I'm reading a little more about it, your right that it isn't a major change. The bigger HD isn't a big deal, and if the 360 could already do 1080p over vga, then HDMI isn't going to be that big of a difference minus adding the crappy HDCP so you have to use compatible equipment.

Actually, that makes me wonder... Can you play current HD-DVD's in the 360 over vga at full res?
yeah, you won't need hdcp til 2009, afaik. I might be wrong, don't have an HD-DVD player.

tacos4me
03-27-07, 10:56 PM

Exactly. Sony had an entire year to improve the PS3, and I would hope it would have a few more features. But Sony's marketing is ridiculous. For a company that believes "every PlayStation 3 owner should have an 'elite' experience" with the HDMI output on every console, they sure do promote utilizing it by not including an HDMI cable. Not a big deal you could argue, but still. I could play in high definition after unwrapping my 360, and I bet the 360E will ship with a measly HDMI cable.

And as a premium owner, I don't feel the least bit shafted by the 360E announcement. The hard drive isn't a big deal. I can buy the 120GB drive separately if I ever actually need it. I'm convinced HDMI is currently garbage, and I don't even need it yet, so that doesn't interest me either.

Marvel_us
03-27-07, 11:18 PM
Sony did improve on the hardware side of things imo, hard drive, wifi, blu-ray, hdmi, that's all a ton of stuff they throw in that box. What really bothers me is how things are lacking on the software side. Besides, the things that MS are adding now(1080p support, HDMI and larger HDD) are things that we've known Sony would include from before Xbox360 launched. MS is just adding "me too" features now.

LurkerLito
03-27-07, 11:18 PM

Yes the 360 came out first, but HDMI v1.1 was available before the XB360 launch, MS just decided it wasn't necessary. Now they feel it is and if you want the HD-DVD player to output lossless audio you don't have any choice but to buy a stand alone player or a new 360.

Personally I am not happy about this change since I am one of those that would like to have the HDMI version. But if you buy a new console, you basically lose some rights to your Arcade games and some games have protected saves that won't let you transfer them to another box so you'd have to start over again. If MS had just put in the HDMI v1.1 connector or the equipment necessary (ie the HDCP chips for v1.1 of the specs) and made a HDMI cable adapter then there wouldn't be any issues at all. It probably saved them all of $20 per box but now will cost a lot more to end users.

thor1182
03-27-07, 11:20 PM
the thing is, the better version that is actually worth something in the long run is prolly HDMI 1.3.

GamerGuyX
03-27-07, 11:25 PM
One of the biggest things I've always wanted for the 360 is HDMI out. Finally I can output Dolby TrueHD from my 360's HD DVD drive.

Now all I need is DTS-HD Master Audio decoding from my PS3 and I'll pretty much be set.

TiKiMaN1
03-27-07, 11:34 PM
http://imageigloo.com/images/8244elite_screen001.jpg

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6168182.html?action=convert&om_clk=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;0

I know I will be getting mine April 29th.:D

Zelda_fan
03-27-07, 11:49 PM
OMG it's like a knife through my heart. You are right SIN, I'm not having the "elite" experience because of my lesser xbox.

NOT

LMAO

Marvel_us
03-28-07, 12:32 AM
http://on10.net/Blogs/tina/exclusive-video-first-look-at-the-xbox-elite/

MustangSVT
03-28-07, 01:06 AM
Yes the 360 came out first, but HDMI v1.1 was available before the XB360 launch, MS just decided it wasn't necessary. Now they feel it is and if you want the HD-DVD player to output lossless audio you don't have any choice but to buy a stand alone player or a new 360.
Not really.

For example I plan to sell my HD-DVD addon (say $100?), and just buy a standalone when the time comes.

The Toshiba HD-A2 has HDMI output and decodes TrueHD and outputs only via HDMI I think (you'd need a receiver that takes PCM via HDMI or something like that), and the Toshiba is $350 at amazon.

Just giving an example, if you want the full HD-DVD experience it's not like you're gonna have to buy a whole new 360. You could just sell the HD DVD drive and get a standalone player, they'll probably come down even further in price.

Badboy_12345
03-28-07, 01:41 AM
it comes with an HDMI and Component cable :eek:
its UNHEARD OF! how can a console come with cables that everyone wants? thats thats *head explodes* :lol:

There is something nintendo and sony can learn from god damn cheap basterds... no hdmi cable with a ps3 wtf were they thinking, its like not including any cables at all or HD. like reading a sticker on the box "needs a hd to work *NOT INCLUDED*" :rolleyes:

TiKiMaN1
03-28-07, 01:46 AM
http://on10.net/Blogs/tina/exclusive-video-first-look-at-the-xbox-elite/

Nice video!:D

Peoples-Agent
03-28-07, 06:27 AM
I'm going to rush out and buy a PS3 so i'll have GRAW 2, Rainbow Six Vegas, Saints Row and more to look forward too.

Hang on a second, am I getting deja vu here?

Since when did it stop being about the games folks? Seriously.... when did that happen?

Badboy_12345
03-28-07, 06:42 AM
I'm going to rush out and buy a PS3 so i'll have GRAW 2, Rainbow Six Vegas, Saints Row and more to look forward too.

Hang on a second, am I getting deja vu here?

Since when did it stop being about the games folks? Seriously.... when did that happen?

when sony released the Playstation 3 with the chip that cures cancer :lol:

Peoples-Agent
03-28-07, 06:46 AM
It's all nonsense, I want to see groundbreaking differences between that thing and the 360 before I justify the cost. I don't care about Blu Ray or HD DVD right now, and won't do for a few years when they begin to be the norm.

Every game compared side by side between 360 and PS3 , the 360s had the upper hand in some way. So much for "elite".

Toss3
03-28-07, 07:29 AM
it comes with an HDMI and Component cable :eek:
its UNHEARD OF! how can a console come with cables that everyone wants? thats thats *head explodes* :lol:

There is something nintendo and sony can learn from god damn cheap basterds... no hdmi cable with a ps3 wtf were they thinking, its like not including any cables at all or HD. like reading a sticker on the box "needs a hd to work *NOT INCLUDED*" :rolleyes:
Y35 t3h xb0x 3l173 1zz s00 much b3773r bec00z3 it h4z t3h HDMI-cable!!11oneone :rolleyes: Seriously, is buying a 10$ HDMI-cable really that hard for you? Maybe you need a personal assistent or something.

ENU291
03-28-07, 08:40 AM
Y35 t3h xb0x 3l173 1zz s00 much b3773r bec00z3 it h4z t3h HDMI-cable!!11oneone :rolleyes: Seriously, is buying a 10$ HDMI-cable really that hard for you? Maybe you need a personal assistent or something.
You're right... it's not hard to go out and buy and HDMI cable after the fact but what people are talking about is the "out of the box" experience. Right out of the box a normal console buyer will not be able to utilize the PS3 as it was intended. Sony could easily quiet the masses by simply including a HDMI cable with every console.

Marvel_us
03-28-07, 09:58 AM
I for one will admit that buying the HD cable separately was a bother. Unless you buy it before hand or spend 100 bucks on one, you have to wait for it to be shipped to you, that sucks.