PDA

View Full Version : Vista security prompts

grey_1
03-28-07, 05:45 AM
It appears the only way to totally rid myself of these annoying as hell prompts is to completely disable every last security feature this OS has.

In XP disabling the security center got rid of these, here it leaves an annoying icon in the task bar and frequent warnings about the security center. Disabling defender has left me with another useless, unwanted icon.

I even downloaded the trial version of Live One Care and between prompts and warnings the OS was all but un-usable.

Getting really, really frustrated with this. They've dumbed it down so much you either have to be a totally spoon-fed n00b and live with it, or just not be bothered by it at all, or a software engineer to figure out the tweaks to disable this crap without compromising the OS.

I'm going to need a third party app like ZA that covers all the bases hopefully and keeps this bloated whining piece of .......software....quiet so I can compute in peace.

Someone please tell me I'm not the only one being driven crazy by this? :o

Vapor Trail
03-28-07, 07:00 AM
You are not alone. I hate it too.

My first attempt to turn the "dummy" messages off resulted in totally turning off the UAC.

I back-up my system drive regularly so I'm starting to think that turning off the UAC and restoring a backup if anything does happen is the best way to go.

Every time the UAC asks me if I'm sure I want to run BF2142 I think of that Apple commercial with the PC guy standing next to the UAC guy in black with the black sunglasses asking him to "allow or deny" over and over again.

sigh... this sure is silly.

grey_1
03-28-07, 07:28 AM
You are not alone. I hate it too.

My first attempt to turn the "dummy" messages off resulted in totally turning off the UAC.

I back-up my system drive regularly so I'm starting to think that turning off the UAC and restoring a backup if anything does happen is the best way to go.

Every time the UAC asks me if I'm sure I want to run BF2142 I think of that Apple commercial with the PC guy standing next to the UAC guy in black with the black sunglasses asking him to "allow or deny" over and over again.

sigh... this sure is silly.
LoL, one of the first things I thought of. :)

evilghost
03-28-07, 09:11 AM
I wrote an application a long time ago (2003) in VB that subclasses the SendMessageA API and sends the SW_SHOW and SW_HIDE window events to a targeting hWND. You should likely be able to use this application to hide the stupid Security Center event pop-up crap and other windows.

You're more than welcome to the code if you want it.

Dr.Nick
03-28-07, 11:05 AM
Just open the security center click on "change the way security center alerts me" and select "don't notify me and don't display the icon"
You'll never see the icon or any pop ups again;)

Edit- Also just a heads up, ZA doesn't work on Vista yet. Don't buy it or try to install it:)

nrs421
03-28-07, 11:46 AM
Edit- Also just a heads up, ZA doesn't work on Vista yet. Don't buy it or try to install it:)

well there is always the beta but it's only for the 32bit version

http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/beta/index.html

einstein_314
03-28-07, 12:03 PM
Just open the security center click on "change the way security center alerts me" and select "don't notify me and don't display the icon"
You'll never see the icon or any pop ups again;)

^^ What he said....I haven't got a popup in weeks....

grey_1
03-28-07, 02:30 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, so easy..I didn't even know that was there and I've been toying with this for months! :o

Thanks for the offer evilghost, I'm just going with this atm. appreciate it though.