PDA

View Full Version : 8800GTX in SLI black screen in XP

mach1.9pants
03-28-07, 05:31 AM
Hi
I have had an RMA on one of my 8800GTX's, a Palit, and the store sent back a different manufacturers card, a POV. The Palit will not be in stock for a long while. So according to NVidia thats no problem. Both cards work OK on their own. When I run them in SLI everything is OK up until the Windows XP loading screen finishes (the one with the little loading bar and the windows logo) then the screen goes blank/black and thats it. The boot process goes normal but no video from then on (other stuff, such as G15 LCD screen) indicates it is only a driver problem for the 8800GTX's. I can boot up fine in Safe Mode, and reloaded the latest drivers while there but still no joy on restart.
Anybody got any clever ideas?:(
ps nothing OC'd for this

mach1.9pants
03-28-07, 06:29 PM
Well I kinda sorted it out. I saw an entry in one web site saying that if it is not in the top no1 dvi port then this happens. It was but I swapped it to the lower card and it worked! Weird but OK, enabled SLI then instant BSOD- bugger! However booted in safe mode, uninstalled driver (thanksM.M I was just reloading not uninstalling first) then rebooted. Reinstalled now OK. However my NEW prob is: 3dmark06 in single=9500 (with all the normal background rubbish running- not a clean run), SLI= 8200 :(
Any more ideas:confused:

mach1.9pants
03-29-07, 06:13 PM
Ok so now I have tried both cards in either position. Either way now gives me 10.5K 3dmarks SLI, instead of 9.5K one card- same for both. I think that is too low, should be maybe 12or13 k. It is not CPU limited, it is running at 2.8GHz and if I run it with 8xaa and 16xaf it drops by 1000marks.
However it shows the top card in nvidia monitor/ntune as GPU2 (i can tell, this one is watercooled) and the bottom card as GPU1? Even if I swap the cards, reload drivers and run reg cleaner still does it. Could that be the cause of my problem? Really annoyed to be spending so much for so little. cannot even run Oblivion with the aa/af cranked up
Any help would be appreciatted.

Xion X2
03-29-07, 06:27 PM
First off, we need to know more about your specs. You need to list your power-supply make/model, memory, and motherboard in your signature. I can't tell if you've done that already; it looks to me like you have two computers listed in your sig, but it's confusing and probably the reason no one has responded to you until me. You need to clear that up. But to address your quote here:

Either way now gives me 10.5K 3dmarks SLI, instead of 9.5K one card- same for both. I think that is too low, should be maybe 12or13 k. It is not CPU limited, it is running at 2.8GHz and if I run it with 8xaa and 16xaf it drops by 1000marks.

--10,500 is quite normal for a single GTX on an AMD @ 2.8gHz on 3dMark06 (it is '06, right? Not '05?) That's actually a pretty good score. You're only going to get 12,000+ on an overclocked Core2Duo. The Athlons aren't nearly as fast.

I'll wait for the rest of your specs before I attempt to uncover the reason your SLI score is suffering so much.

mach1.9pants
03-29-07, 06:49 PM
First off, we need to know more about your specs. You need to list your power-supply make/model, memory, and motherboard in your signature. I can't tell if you've done that already; it looks to me like you have two computers listed in your sig, but it's confusing and probably the reason no one has responded to you until me. You need to clear that up. But to address your quote here:

--10,500 is quite normal for a single GTX on an AMD @ 2.8gHz on 3dMark06 (it is '06, right? Not '05?) That's actually a pretty good score. You're only going to get 12,000+ on an overclocked Core2Duo. The Athlons aren't nearly as fast.

I'll wait for the rest of your specs before I attempt to uncover the reason your SLI score is suffering so much.

I am happy with 9500 3dmark06 solo, but not 10500 3dmark06 SLI!
Sorry I thought there was enough in my sig, here goes:
Mobo : ASUS M2N32SLI-Deluxe
CPU: AMD64 AM2 4600+ running at 2.8GHz watercooled (CPU score 2108 3d06)
RAM: 2x1GB G-skill running at 1000Mhz 4-4-4-5-2t (not OC'd like sig at the moment!)
PSU: 850W silverstone Zeus
1x Palit 8800GTX with DD block
1x P.O.V 8800GTX stock cooler (it is going back if SLI doesn't get better!)
Hope thats better, will update my sig- the old rig is the tornado F3 jet i used to fly!:D

Xion X2
03-29-07, 07:37 PM
That's a little better. The reason I couldn't tell what you had is because you had your 8800GTX's and some other stuff on another line in your sig and it looked like a different build that you were working on.

Anyway.. I don't think 10,500 is too far off the mark for SLI on an AMD dual-core setup, but I'll let some of the guys here who have it speak for that. I'm not entirely sure if that's too low or not. 9,500 on a single card sounds about right for that processor.

The rest of your setup looks good. You have great memory and a great power supply.

How does it game? You can't really go by 3dMark scores on these cards when in SLI mode; it doesn't scale very well. On my C2D setup, I scored ~12,000 with an overclocked single GTX and 15,951 on overclocked GTXs in SLI. It's not indicative at all of real-world performance, because I've seen double the performance in some of my games when in SLI mode.

mach1.9pants
03-29-07, 08:54 PM
Yeah, i know that I shouldn't expect scores like yours but 10.5k is too low, from looking around the net.
Gamings OK: at the moment I am playing Battlefield (and mods) and that was OK full settings with my 7900GTs! So I cannot tell with the 8800.
However I am also playing Oblivion and having SLI is not noticably improving on SLI by look and feel-pauses and jumps with all the eye candy enabled. Thats why I got the 8800gtx's was to stop that sort of thing! I'll run a go with FRAPS to get an exact idea on FR.

Xion X2
03-29-07, 09:30 PM
Oblivion will "pause" whether you have SLI or not. It pauses frequently to load textures in the foreground; there's nothing you can do about that. It's just the Oblivion engine.

Run FRAPS while you're playing it and report back what your average framerate is in thick forests. It should hover somewhere between 50-60fps if you're running vsync.

mach1.9pants
03-29-07, 09:36 PM
I think (I am at work) I have vsync disabled. I have read that it causes laginess when syncing with the monitor, is that correct. I'll give FRAPS a go but I think the frame rate sounds about right from my last run in fraps from memory

Xion X2
03-29-07, 10:31 PM
I have read that it causes laginess when syncing with the monitor, is that correct.

It's barely noticeable. It's worth it to me because it gets rid of all the tearing.

I'll give FRAPS a go but I think the frame rate sounds about right from my last run in fraps from memory

You didn't give a framerate, did you? I didn't see a #.

mach1.9pants
03-29-07, 10:59 PM
Yeah I didn't give a number but a have run a fraps seesion in oblivions and I think the av frame rate was about 50ish. Thats from memory, I'll look at the log when I get back. I'll try vsync as well, man I'll try anything! I should really be able to run oblivion 1920x1200 with 8aa with two NZ$1000 cards!
Thanks for your help, some guys on other forums reckon it is a driver issue, maybe?
I might just have to splash out for a C2D;)

Xion X2
03-29-07, 11:25 PM
If you're running ~50fps in thick forests, then you're about where you should be @ 1920x1200.

Amuro
03-29-07, 11:47 PM
10500 is about right for your processor, since the CPU has a big impact o the score. When I had my CDX and everything set at stock, I only got 13200 in SLI. But any overclock on the CPU would drastically boost the 3DMark06 score.