PDA

View Full Version : New Cooler needed

mcolbourn
03-28-07, 07:03 AM
Well over the last few days I have notices my CPU temp has been on the rise. After a bit of looking I think it could be the mounting brackent on my Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro is not working well any more it is not pushing hard enougth to the cpu. I have tried taking it off and resitting it but this did not help. Therefore I now need to buy a new cooler. I was looking at either a Thermalright Ultra-120 or Zalman CNPS9700. As they both dont use push bit fitting like the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro.

Which one would you go for? and would they fix my case Lian-Li PC-60.

Dr.Nick
03-28-07, 09:58 AM
If you are serious about OCing/noise lvls skip the Zalman. The Thermalright is the best money can get atm with the Scythe coolers right behind it. They should all fit just fine

Bearclaw
03-28-07, 12:16 PM
Zalman makes great CPU cooler's.

mullet
03-28-07, 01:26 PM
What ever cooler you go with make sure your case has the right ventilation. I have the Zalman 9700 and it works great but after seeing the idle temps at 36c I opened my case door and saw the temps drop to 31c ( I updated case fans and solved the problem ). The Zalman is a good cooler but if you don't have the proper ventilation it will not do you any good.

My 2 cents.

BTW Bearclaw tight av. lol

mcolbourn
03-30-07, 05:27 AM
Well I have gone for a Thermalright Ultra-120 and a Noctua NF-S12 Fan for it. They shoudl be here early next week. I expect that they should allow me to clock a little higher as well.

CaptNKILL
03-30-07, 08:23 AM
I'm waiting on the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme myself. :)

If anyone sees them in stock anywhere any time soon, please PM me. They aren't out yet, and Thermalright hasn't given an ETA.

FastRedPonyCar
03-30-07, 12:09 PM
Screw the 9700. the performance benefit over the 9500 is miniscule and it's much louder.

I've got a 9500 on my 6600 (see sig) and when I hooked up the fan controller, the noise is virtually non existant. I've got 2 low RPM 120mm fans in my case and even at the lowest RPM on the 9500, during the torture test, my CPU temp never went over 59*C.

Also, Zalman did one hell of a job lapping this sucker.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/fastredponycar/Computer/C2D%20Machine/IMG_7474.jpg

It was a toss up between the CNPS9500 and the Scythe ninja with some low rpm fan but man alive, those ninjas are hideous!!