PDA

View Full Version : G80 has 160 Stream Processors...NOT 128 :o

Pages : [1] 2

PeterJensen
03-29-07, 12:01 AM
http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=334&Itemid=1

A professor who is a head of Raytracing research on Saarland University in Germany publicly said that G80 has 160 stream processors. He said this over and over again at Cebit presentation. The rest of the world knows that G80 is supposed to have 128 only.

We believe that these hardware enthusiasts with PHD's knows what are they talking and there is a strong believe that Nvidia actually enabled 128 streaming processors only and is keeping the rest of them for later date.

All this can be done in driver as you can enable as much stream processors as you like and you can enable the rest when the time is right, eg when ATI releases its R600 chip. We will try to find more about it but we think we are on a fine lead. It would be cool if he is right or maybe he pre-announced Nvidia's next chip.

The time will tell and we heard him talking about it when we saw the presenatation here.

Maybe thats why there a driver "problems"... :cool:

Q
03-29-07, 12:04 AM

That would really make up for all the "hickups" in the drivers that I've personally experienced. It would be quite a sweet "problem" to have solved. ;)

Bokishi
03-29-07, 12:41 AM
That's interesting

retsam
03-29-07, 01:04 AM

i dont believe it. why in the world would nv hide something like that to begine with? your talking another 50% increase in performance if this is true. just because this guy has a phd doesnt mean he's right.

retsam
03-29-07, 03:02 AM
also been thinking about this some more, how in the world would this guy get access to the extra units when the people that actually drive revenue(game devs) can't even get access to those units?

joelatino
03-29-07, 03:25 AM
perhaps more shaders will be activate with also an little hardware mod and this will be make for the 8800ultra cards!!!:)

MUYA
03-29-07, 03:33 AM
What makes sense to is that the g80 die was indeed manufactured with 160 stream shaders in their respective clusters. However due to yeild and other issues the 8800GTX has only 128 stream were enabled workin in their respective clusters available with the remaining stream procesors disabled (ie cut by laser). However 4-5 months down the line...and more optmizations and savings..blah blah in manufacturing (is 8800 ultra a 80nm?)....then may be they are now able to enable all 160 stream processor and their respective cluster...for the 8800 ultra that is....

Blacklash
03-29-07, 04:01 AM
Actually that's a tried and true technique the military uses. They always under report the capabilities of their gear. If I was nV I'd be doing this crap all the time to keep the competition, what is left of it :p, on their toes.

As long as you are getting better than what you paid for, I don't see how there would be a legal issue, and they could always fix that with an appropriate disclaimer.

Athena
03-30-07, 01:49 PM
So continuing this thought then how many stream processors might the GTS have? :D

CaiNaM
03-30-07, 02:28 PM
i dont believe it. why in the world would nv hide something like that to begine with? your talking another 50% increase in performance if this is true. just because this guy has a phd doesnt mean he's right.
so 25% more stream processors would give you a 50% performance boost? :eek:

$n][pErMan
03-30-07, 02:32 PM
If this is true... mine better not be lasered off.... I want my extra free processors :D This card is already badass.... just imagine if it had more power ready to be unlocked :D

retsam
03-30-07, 03:38 PM
so 25% more stream processors would give you a 50% performance boost? :eek:
ok, i was exagerating but you get my point:rolleyes:

Redeemed
03-30-07, 05:23 PM
Yeah, what about the GTS? Might it actually have 128 stream processors then? :p

J-Mag
03-30-07, 05:33 PM
perhaps more shaders will be activate with also an little hardware mod and this will be make for the 8800ultra cards!!!:)

I highly doubt it, moddable (unlocking shaders or stream processors) cards went the way of the dodo after the 6 series. It doesn't make monetary sense for Nvidia to allow it, so it isn't going to happen.

fivefeet8
03-30-07, 06:04 PM
Yeah, what about the GTS? Might it actually have 128 stream processors then? :p

Maybe they both physically have 160, but there are more disabled stream processors on the GTS. If this story had some truth to it, the most likely explanation is that Nvidia is holding on to the full 160 shader working chips and stocking them for a future release. ;)

With all the delays from AMD, Nvidia has had quite a bit of time to stock up. :D

retsam
03-31-07, 01:58 AM
Maybe they both physically have 160, but there are more disabled stream processors on the GTS. If this story had some truth to it, the most likely explanation is that Nvidia is holding on to the full 160 shader working chips and stocking them for a future release. ;)

With all the delays from AMD, Nvidia has had quite a bit of time to stock up. :D
what if theres circutry in there for redundancy and not actual funtioning solo units, after all we know that most GPU's have redundancy just in case someething is broke.

fivefeet8
03-31-07, 02:43 AM
what if theres circutry in there for redundancy and not actual funtioning solo units, after all we know that most GPU's have redundancy just in case someething is broke.

That's also probable. Some folks at beyond3d are speculating that the missing MUL in the G80 could have something to do with this rumor.

NZlight
04-01-07, 06:30 PM
Everyone sure its not a botched misreport, possibly intentionally, from this news article?, G80 and G160 architectures mentioned though not Nvidia cards seem coincidently to match with the detail in the current 8800GTX cards dont' you think?.

http://www.analogzone.com/netp0219.htm

networkZONE Products for the week of February 19, 2007

Stream Processors Says…
Storm-1 Family of Data-Parallel Digital Signal Processors
Advanced digital signal processor architecture enables easy development of efficient applications for parallel processing

Stream Processors, Inc. (SPI), has announced the first members of its Storm-1 family of data-parallel digital signal processors (DSPs) -- the SP16-G160 and the SP8-G80. Based on the company's breakthrough SPI Stream Processor Architecture, the Storm-1 family combines the ability to scale to 80 giga-multiplications and accumulations per second (GMACs/s) performance with a simple, predictive and efficient C programming model. The Storm-1 family is suitable for a wide range of demanding signal processing applications, such as high-definition video H.264 HD encoding, transcoding, analytics, image processing and video surveillance with processing headroom for customer-specific enhancements.

kevJ420
04-01-07, 07:45 PM
I don't know what to believe.

I hope it doesn't have 160 physical stream processors, b/c I think (but I definately don't know for sure) if they were disabled due to damage, I think other parts of the GPU could be damaged as well, and that could explain a lot of the problems some people have had with the 8 series, but probably not, I'm just thinking out loud.

I really think nvidia should have waited a little bit longer.

Doing something about the AA incompatibilities w/ the new deferred lighting technique would have been well worth the wait, b/c even though you can play games w/ HDR+AA now, there's a new graphics feature that conflicts with csaa and msaa, so there will be a lot of games in the not-so-far away future that won't be enjoyable on the 8 series, if you really, really care about AA.

Even though it's a world of difference, the only full reason I vastly prefer an 8800gtx over 7 series quad sli, is b/c of the non-shimmering non-optimised AF.

That's it, other than being able to play games with HDR+AA.

Redeemed
04-01-07, 08:17 PM
I don't know what to believe.

I hope it doesn't have 160 physical stream processors, b/c I think (but I definately don't know for sure) if they were disabled due to damage, I think other parts of the GPU could be damaged as well, and that could explain a lot of the problems some people have had with the 8 series, but probably not, I'm just thinking out loud.

I really think nvidia should have waited a little bit longer.

Doing something about the AA incompatibilities w/ the new deferred lighting technique would have been well worth the wait, b/c even though you can play games w/ HDR+AA now, there's a new graphics feature that conflicts with csaa and msaa, so there will be a lot of games in the not-so-far away future that won't be enjoyable on the 8 series, if you really, really care about AA.

Even though it's a world of difference, the only full reason I vastly prefer an 8800gtx over 7 series quad sli, is b/c of the non-shimmering non-optimised AF.

That's it, other than being able to play games with HDR+AA.

Are you sure it has nothing to do with the fact that a single 8800GTX is comparable to the performance of two 7900GTXs in SLi? Cause that's a pretty awesome selling point in my opinion. ;)

$n][pErMan
04-01-07, 08:44 PM
I'll keep my 8800GTX anyday! :D I have had 0 issues so far with it. Perhaps it's because I don't use or ever plan to use SLi :p

Redeemed
04-01-07, 08:49 PM
[pErMan']I'll keep my 8800GTX anyday! :D I have had 0 issues so far with it. Perhaps it's because I don't use or ever plan to use SLi :p
:wtf:

I'm, well, technically I was running two 8800GTSs in SLi. Then I had the issues with my mobo and now am just running a single 8800GTS as two would be over kill considering I'm stuck running a s754 A64 3400 (and yes, the mobo does support SLi).

But when I was running them both in my other rig, never had a problem with. My problems were purely mobo related, and never had an issue with the drivers or SLi. Granted, I'm still using XP so that may be why.

kevJ420
04-02-07, 12:02 AM
Are you sure it has nothing to do with the fact that a single 8800GTX is comparable to the performance of two 7900GTXs in SLi? Cause that's a pretty awesome selling point in my opinion. ;)

Definately not. Performance isn't an issue for me.

But I'm sure everyone else may have that reason, so I'm happy other people appreciate the extra performance..

retsam
04-02-07, 01:10 AM
Definately not. Performance isn't an issue for me.

But I'm sure everyone else may have that reason, so I'm happy other people appreciate the extra performance..
what?...do you think before you post? i have no idea what you just said here. do us a favor and take 10 minutes before every post to think about whant it is that your trying to say, then after you have written your post, let it sit for a little while, then come back and read it for clarity. i feel like im teaching 4th grade english here, or in his case i should call it engrish.

MUYA
04-02-07, 01:50 AM
what?...do you think before you post? i have no idea what you just said here. do us a favor and take 10 minutes before every post to think about whant it is that your trying to say, then after you have written your post, let it sit for a little while, then come back and read it for clarity. i feel like im teaching 4th grade english here, or in his case i should call it engrish.
Dude u know he is just stirring.