PDA

View Full Version : sixstorm's Rebuilding Thread

six_storm
03-29-07, 11:34 AM
Hello everybody. I've been here a while and consider everyone's advice and suggestions very highly. As some of you know, I'm in the process of rebuilding my gaming PC and need some advice on a few things. This rig is temporary but will have to last me at least a year until I can get a new one (engagement ring comes first!). Here are my goals/objectives:

I definitly want to overclock a little, get a few more horsies out of it, yet keep it clearly stable.
I want to be able to run Company of Heroes, UT3, Crysis, CSS and BF2 around 1280x1024 with everything turned up.
Get a new case.
Stick with air-cooling, no water please.

I know that my current rig won't play games like Crysis and possibly even UT3 extremly well, but that's why I wanna tweak what I got. I will prolly buy a new case and maybe even upgrade to a dual-core AMD 939 CPU to finalize everything. Upgrading to an Intel-based rig right now is extremely expensive so it's out of the question until next year.

What I want is some advice mainly on the overclocking and cooling. The AIBooster will only do a 10% overclock and it's pretty stable with running Prime95. The CPU gets up to about 40C on full load/Prime95 and idles at 37C, so I guess I've got some room to work with. Are there any suggestions you could give me? I know this seems n00bish but I've never really took the time to stress my PC and overclock it. Specs are in the link below (Project SSv2.5). Thanks guys!

DiscipleDOC
03-29-07, 12:35 PM
How much are you looking to spend?

AMD Athlon 64 FX-60 Dual Core Processor
Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe Motherboard
eVGA GeForce 8800 GTS Video Card
Corsair XMS 2GB PC3200 DDR DIMM Memory Kit (You can't beat Corsair ;))
Antec 900 Midtower Computer Case

Are you looking for a high end monitor?
Samsung SyncMaster 225BW Silver/Black 22" LCD Monitor

All of this for under $1300.

six_storm
03-29-07, 12:48 PM
How much are you looking to spend?

AMD Athlon 64 FX-60 Dual Core Processor
Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe Motherboard
eVGA GeForce 8800 GTS Video Card
Corsair XMS 2GB PC3200 DDR DIMM Memory Kit (You can't beat Corsair ;))
Antec 900 Midtower Computer Case

Are you looking for a high end monitor?
Samsung SyncMaster 225BW Silver/Black 22" LCD Monitor

All of this for under $1300.

Dunno if you looked at my specs but I already have the ASUS A8N-SLI. :D I'm not looking at it as how much money I have to spend, but what I can do with what I got. I do plan on buying a new case (still can't find anything affordable lol) and maybe getting an 8-series card once the other models can come out and lower price a little. I also thought about getting a 2x1GB RAM set too.

I've been keeping my eye out for deals and barely used hardware but I wanna know what I can do NOW with what I got.

Also, I'm saving up for an engagement ring and will prolly purchase one in another month or two. With saying that, I do have to keep my purchases on the low lol. Even though I'd like to have a Coolermaster Stacker 830, I don't think the $300 (after tax and shipping) price tag will feel good to my wallet.

DiscipleDOC
03-29-07, 02:15 PM
Antec 900 for $100.32 (includes shipping) (http://nvnews.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=27232928/search=nine+hundred)

evilghost
03-29-07, 03:11 PM
Why are you spending money now on games that are currently vaporware? Wait until they are released before you start emptying your wallet. There's no point to invest in the technology today that will be obsolete or sold at a reduced price by fourth-quarter of this year.

If you're getting married you better start saving.

six_storm
03-29-07, 03:37 PM
Why are you spending money now on games that are currently vaporware? Wait until they are released before you start emptying your wallet. There's no point to invest in the technology today that will be obsolete or sold at a reduced price by fourth-quarter of this year.

If you're getting married you better start saving.

I'm just spending some side money in order to play games like CSS, BF2, CoH, and possibly one day Crysis and UT3. I don't plan on getting a new videocard or new CPU/Mobo/RAM set until they drop way down in price and maybe something newer comes out.

That's why I said that I'm looking around for small deals (almost got a 4000+ for $40!) so that way I can upgrade without emptying my wallet. I had a little mishap with my checking account and was missing some money but I got it all straghtened out and things are looking good.

DD - that Antec 900 case looks pretty good. I didn't like it at first, but it's grown on me. I'll keep it in mind, thanks.

So I've tried to OC my CPU but it has a locked multiplier. I bumped the frequency up and got to 2.3GHz (2.0GHz stock) but I lost a little performance benchmarking on CSS. I also bumped up the clocks on the 7600GT a hare and got around 10+ FPS. Things are running pretty cool right now, but I wanna make sure it's stable.

CPU Temp: 32C Idle / 38C Loaded
GPU Temp: 54C Idle / 60C Loaded
Prime95 = 0 Errors

Xion X2
03-29-07, 05:59 PM
Don't buy a 4000+. Buying a single-core processor at this stage in the game would be a bad move. Everything from hereon out will be multithreaded.

six_storm
03-30-07, 11:01 AM
Don't buy a 4000+. Buying a single-core processor at this stage in the game would be a bad move. Everything from hereon out will be multithreaded.

Yeah, I thought about that one. I would've been a small step up, but nothing like a Dual-Core would've done. I guess I can set my eye upon an Opty after I buy a new case. Surprisingly, I put my case sides back on and all my temps dropped 5-10C!!! But I'm sure that if I had a nice case and did a good wiring job, it would be even lower. Do Opty's have locked multipliers? I'm guessing they don't cuz a lot of customer reviews are saying that they OC the crap out of them. Sounds fun.

Also, I'm buying the Artic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro from LiquidX this week so that should add to the cooling process. Any other suggestions?

DiscipleDOC
03-30-07, 11:33 AM
Yeah, I thought about that one. I would've been a small step up, but nothing like a Dual-Core would've done. I guess I can set my eye upon an Opty after I buy a new case. Surprisingly, I put my case sides back on and all my temps dropped 5-10C!!! But I'm sure that if I had a nice case and did a good wiring job, it would be even lower. Do Opty's have locked multipliers? I'm guessing they don't cuz a lot of customer reviews are saying that they OC the crap out of them. Sounds fun.

Also, I'm buying the Artic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro from LiquidX this week so that should add to the cooling process. Any other suggestions?
Some opterons (Santa-Rosa) do have dual core. I suggest you look at the FX Series. I hear that they have unlocked multipliers.

I'm debating whether to get a FX-62 or a 6000 for my next CPU upgrade.

|MaguS|
03-30-07, 11:36 AM
I got a Dual Core Oppty! Mines a Toledo core.

FastRedPonyCar
03-30-07, 11:56 AM
socket 939 is about 2 steps till being out the door. You may as well keep what you have and start saving for a 775 system. Specifically something with dual cores (preferably a core 2 duo CPU). The E4300's are a tremendous bang for the buck considering their performance when overclocked (equal to the quad core extreme).

I built my dad a complete E6400 system (with generic video card) for $1000 and it screams. The only thing that really differentiates his from mine is the cpu and video card. I've got a 6600 and a basic 7600GT and I'm running oblivion in the next to highest widescreen resolution with graphics at high settings and view distances maxed with a smooth 25~30 fps outdoors.

Best advice though I can give you is to have fun with your money now before you get married becuase after you say "I do", you no longer buy fun things unless you have a great job.

|MaguS|
03-30-07, 12:00 PM
you no longer buy fun things unless you have a great job.

;)

I plan on going Socket 775 once I move next month.

six_storm
03-30-07, 12:07 PM
socket 939 is about 2 steps till being out the door. You may as well keep what you have and start saving for a 775 system. Specifically something with dual cores (preferably a core 2 duo CPU). The E4300's are a tremendous bang for the buck considering their performance when overclocked (equal to the quad core extreme).

I built my dad a complete E6400 system (with generic video card) for $1000 and it screams. The only thing that really differentiates his from mine is the cpu and video card. I've got a 6600 and a basic 7600GT and I'm running oblivion in the next to highest widescreen resolution with graphics at high settings and view distances maxed with a smooth 25~30 fps outdoors.

Best advice though I can give you is to have fun with your money now before you get married becuase after you say "I do", you no longer buy fun things unless you have a great job.

Yeah, there's no doubt it's about to die out. However, I'm trying to do with what I have now. I'm really hoping that by next summer/start of fall, prices will have dropped on everything current today (Core2Duo, mobo's etc) and I'll be able to invest in those things.

I'm going to buy BF2 this weekend (Best Buy coupons = $Free :D ) and I will try to benchmark my system with that. I do get an average 100-105 FPS when running the CSS stress test! I could also get another 7600GT and go SLI . . . but I prolly won't.

I'm trying to get some upgrades before I get married so that way the wifey won't complain about me buying stuff lol.

nekrosoft13
03-30-07, 12:17 PM
939 is dead to me also, but my 939 based system still can play every game released so far on max settings.

i'm going 775 probably around summer time, once DDR3 should be released.

FastRedPonyCar
03-30-07, 12:19 PM
Well, I think right now, if you can't afford to replace the cpu/mobo then there's no real point in upgrading those as you're not going to see much return on your investment as far as the performance goes if you stay with 939.

The biggest jump for you in performance would probably be a new video card, which at this point is also a foolish upgrade (in my opinion) becuase the new DX10 cards are right around the corner and once they start coming out, the current cards will begin dropping in price. That's the reason I didn't get a high quality card. What I have is ok but nothing fancy and I'm sure that in a couple of months, the cards that are twice as fast will be priced in the ballpark that my 7600 cost me.

As for a case, I've had good experience with several antecs and the Lian Li's are also top quality and have pretty good budget priced cases ($90~$100).

If I were you, I'd play the waiting game a little longer if you're really tight on cash as it seems that the prices on video cards are sort of in this stalemate right now just waiting for the new cards to come out.

There are plenty of excellent priced system components like C2D cpu's, motherboards and the DDR2 800 ram is pretty well priced as well but if you're not interested in any of those, I'd just stick it out with what you have and wait a little longer. Prices will only go down.

I was playing the waiting game back towards the end of 2005 and was planning on upgrading then but then I bought a car and got married and was going to use my tax refund money to buy a gaming laptop but then the dual core cpu's and 7XXX cards started to show up and I decided to hold off a little more to see if it would be worth upgrading my desktop components and here I am a full year later and finally bit the bullet.

six_storm
03-30-07, 01:07 PM
Most def man. With the rig I have now, I should be able to play a ton of games with everything turned on. But when it comes to UT3 and Crysis, I know it won't be the same situation and I don't expect it to. However, I hope that I can upgrade next summer (08) or a little later in order to get a way better rig. The only real reason I upgraded my rig (my old gaming rig) was because I missed playing CSS and BF2. Also, I wouldn't mind trying out some of the newer games like Company of Heroes and CC3.

FastRedPonyCar
03-30-07, 01:17 PM
CC3 runs superbly.. in fact, I was running the demo at max settings 1280X1024 on my 2.4ghz P4 w/6800gt video card.

six_storm
03-30-07, 11:02 PM
So I got BF2 for free with my BB coupons tonight :D so I'll do some benchmarks next week.

six_storm
04-02-07, 12:44 AM
So after two installations of BF2 plus the downloads of the newest patch, it finally runs! Right after installation, the screen would just go black and nothing would happen. Fortuantly, the patch fixed it. I just did a quick game with "recommended" auto video settings but I was getting 100+ FPS. Once I can get some other things updated, I'll do some real benchmarking.

six_storm
04-02-07, 11:44 AM
I got to play BF2 a while last night and some this morning. I do have a problem though: If you boot straight into Windows and try to play BF2, you get a black screen and you have to CTRL+Shift+ESC out of the program. However, you can run CSS, exit out of it, run BF2 and it works just fine. Weird. Anywho, I average around 35-65 FPS with everything turned up. Not too bad for a 7600GT! BF2 is a RAM hog and I know I need to grab a 2GB kit real bad. I'm about to purchase "the ring" so I won't be able to buy anything for quite a while lol.

six_storm
04-04-07, 12:05 PM
My gf came up yesterday and I hooked my rig up to my 32" LCD for good. Framerates are ok, but not the best. CSS will run anywhere between 15-60FPS depending on the action. BF2 doesn't natively support widescreen resolutions so I'm going to have to find the hack to do it. However, at 1024x768, the game run really really smooth. With the framerates like they've been, I'm becoming more and more tempted to go SLI.