PDA

View Full Version : My new dead A8N32 SLI deluxe

Woodelf
03-29-07, 10:20 PM
I just recieved an open box board from newegg.
After making my connections and attemting to start it. nothing happened.
The green LED stays green. no beeps, no fans, nothing.
Tried bios reset according to manual.
Tried stripping down to mem, cpu, vid.
Tried no vid,
tried no mem,
tried no cpu.
tried Enermax 500W PS
Tried bypass power switch.
Tried removing board and booting extrernally.
All the same... nothing, not a sound.
I'm suspecting the board or the cpu.
I don't have another CPU to test on it.

Isn't there supposed to be something telling me that there is no cpu though. I mean that motherboard should do something even with a bad CPU shouldn't it?..
I don't know, please help.:banghead:

Redeemed
03-30-07, 05:37 PM
I noticed that with this board, it doesn't have the ASUS Speech Reporter for some reason. I didn't even see it as an option in the BIOS.

I ran into the same problem with my A8N32. I just RMA'd it and it is probably at Newegg right now. As for the proc, just to make sure it wasn't defective, I took it over to a friend's house and tried it there- worked fine.

I'd RMA that board. I'm betting you just got a defective unit, as did I.

Bearclaw
03-30-07, 06:09 PM
I don't know what he can do if it is already an Open Box item. Good luck with whatever you end up doing man.

Woodelf
03-30-07, 06:56 PM
I don't know anyone around me with another board, but I do have a questionable DFI lan party that wouldn't boot with it either, although the fan's came on. Actually the lan party is the real reason I ordered this new board.
The fan's come on with that board though.
So I tried over at NforcersHQ forum and one of the fine people actually removed his cpu for me to see what happened. The same thing, nothing (green light on).
So I ordered a 2.4GHZ sandiego. It should be here next week, giving me just enough time to return this A8n32.
I'm hoping that it'll get my lan party going too, then I can rma my bad 2.2GHZ sandiego.

Anyway, one way or another I'll get my x1900xt going again.:captnkill:

Thank's for the help :D

Woodelf
03-30-07, 07:19 PM
Yea, I probably got your board Redeemed.
This thing came with everything, even though they claim open boxes don't. So I really hope it is just the processor because that's still got the 3 year warranty.

I don't know, Ive gone through thread after thread and it seem's as though most people with this problem have power supply issues. Antec mostly. I know mine are good though.

Redeemed
03-30-07, 08:06 PM
I doubt you got my mobo. It just arrived at Newegg today. ;)

For me, it was the mobo. As stated earlier I tried my proc in a friends' rig and it worked fine. Heck, I even let him borrow it till I get my replacement mobo (aren't I nice? :D ).

If you had the same results on two different mobos, it is probably the processor. Another option is it could be your RAM. Are you sure that your RAM is good?

Hope you get your system back up and running soon. ;)

Woodelf
03-30-07, 08:19 PM
Are you sure that your RAM is good?

Yep, I've been running it in this NF7-S while I've been waiting for the A8N32.

RussianHAXOR
03-30-07, 09:14 PM
I just recieved an open box board from newegg.
After making my connections and attemting to start it. nothing happened.
The green LED stays green. no beeps, no fans, nothing.
Tried bios reset according to manual.
Tried stripping down to mem, cpu, vid.
Tried no vid,
tried no mem,
tried no cpu.
tried Enermax 500W PS
Tried bypass power switch.
Tried removing board and booting extrernally.
All the same... nothing, not a sound.
I'm suspecting the board or the cpu.
I don't have another CPU to test on it.

Isn't there supposed to be something telling me that there is no cpu though. I mean that motherboard should do something even with a bad CPU shouldn't it?..
I don't know, please help.:banghead:

The A8N series are the crappiest motherboards ever known to man. I hate mine with a passion.

Bearclaw
03-30-07, 09:33 PM
The A8N series are the crappiest motherboards ever known to man. I hate mine with a passion.
I would have to disagree. I haven't onwed more than one A8N but the one that I currently have has worked flawlessly for me for a year now.

*knock on wood*

Woodelf
03-30-07, 10:16 PM
I know My DFI had it's share of quirks (mostly overclocking related). I still don't know why it or My cpu died. It wasn't even running hot. It just went into standby one day from being idle and never came out.
My most dependable board of all time though is still this old trusty Abit NF7-s 2.0. Never a hickup. Although my purchace of that board was also the same time I wrote off cheap power supplies, so that could be part of it's dependability too.

Woodelf
03-30-07, 10:18 PM
Quit freakin me out, man. :afraid:

Saintster
03-30-07, 11:28 PM
Quit freakin me out, man. :afraid:

I've been running a8 boards for sometime now and the only problems I had were self inflicted. Good boards IMHO.

Bearclaw
03-30-07, 11:49 PM
I've been running a8 boards for sometime now and the only problems I had were self inflicted. Good boards IMHO.
Agreed. There good.

t3hl33td4rg0n
03-31-07, 02:35 AM
I just dont trust asus anymore, my A8N32 has been troublesome...

- Once got a corrupt BIOS from adding an extra stick of RAM
- The flash utility is buggy.
- Got a no post for 2 days after not figuring out the problem, then i unplugged my LAN cable and it managed to reflash itself again.
- The PCI-E harness isnt very secure.
- The BIOS doesnt allocate IRQ's properly.
- The ill documented PEG-link caused stability problems. Of course nowhere does the manual tell you what it does.
- SPD is a buggy.
- APIC implementation doesnt follow the standards.
- The only board not fully compatible with nTune. You have to use Asus's crappy speed racer bubble utility.
- AI NOS is a joke.

The Asus web site is terrible, slow, and buggy.

However, my K8N Neo4 Plat SLI has been rock solid from day 1.

Woodelf
03-31-07, 07:03 AM
Well, it was only $89.00.
Due to my current budget, this was chosen over a jetway or a crossfire board (which was unavailable).

The only asus board I've had were a p5a-b, a7v8x-x (JUNK) and a a7n8x deluxe w/soundstorm, which I eventually killed with volt mods. They were ok, but the nf7-s 2.0 with soundstorm would have been killer for the time.

My DFI had mysterious bios issues, where it would decide to change at random which clock speed's it was going to allow me to use.

Even though many say that the 2 x16 slot bandwidth is unnessessary for today's card's, I was thinking bout keeping this board till fall or next year when card's might be able to use the extra bandwith and finally going sli then. I'm not a computer genius like many of you guy's on this site, but... from the review's I've read about the board. The benchmark's are all ready showing 2 x16 sli pulling ahead at high res anti aliasing. So I figure it's not going to be long before card's are released that really take advantage of it.
I chose against crossfire because I didn't like the way ATI was heading with their card voltage requirement's
(Competitor + corperate merge + rumor + huge card + High volts + similar performance = not a good sign).

Woodelf
04-05-07, 04:01 PM
I noticed that with this board, it doesn't have the ASUS Speech Reporter for some reason. I didn't even see it as an option in the BIOS.

I ran into the same problem with my A8N32. I just RMA'd it and it is probably at Newegg right now. As for the proc, just to make sure it wasn't defective, I took it over to a friend's house and tried it there- worked fine.

I'd RMA that board. I'm betting you just got a defective unit, as did I.

Yep, boards dead. New cpu came and nothing happened.
I'm sending both the a8n32 and the lanparty ultra D back. Hopefully they'll upgrade the lanparty to an sli.

Redeemed
04-05-07, 07:08 PM
Yep, boards dead. New cpu came and nothing happened.
I'm sending both the a8n32 and the lanparty ultra D back. Hopefully they'll upgrade the lanparty to an sli.

Well good luck Woodelf. I should have my replacement mobo by tomorrow or early next week at the latest. I'm hoping the new mobo works like a dream. :D

Woodelf
04-06-07, 06:16 AM
Well good luck Woodelf. I should have my replacement mobo by tomorrow or early next week at the latest. I'm hoping the new mobo works like a dream. :D
Yea, newegg was pretty great about it, they offered to extend their open box RMA time limit of 15 days for me too. Saved me $24.00 from shipping.