PDA

View Full Version : LOTR-O

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Hambone
03-30-07, 09:32 PM
Well, I never got to try LOTR Online, but with the open beta today I finally did.

$199 for a lifetime membership. That's the same as $15 for a year. I'm really going to give this one a fair shake.

So far....
-Overall graphics much better than WoW, doesn't seem as good as EQ2 or Vanguard though
-Animations not as fluid (realistic) as WoW or EQ2 but better than Vanguard (I love how a running character in Vanguard looks like a non-moving stick body with robot like swinging arms - cheese).
-Interface - not horrible for a brand new game, much like WoW but not as good
-Addons? no idea.. if it can have WoW's addon support, that will be a plus

If it wasn't for the $199 lifetime or $9.99 a month options for Pre-Order people, I'd probably not even look at it again. But $199 lifetime is so tempting. I could really stick with 1 MMO for that even if it wasn't the best.

EQ2 is still the best MMO hands down though (except for PVP and lack of any good addon support). EQ2 is one hell of a polished HQ and content rich MMO.

nrdstrm
03-30-07, 10:56 PM
I'll pass on LOTRO...I tried it a bit recently...Too cookie cutter (quests), to small (world size), too "wow"ish (for me) (graphics). BTW...Of course EQ2 is polished...It's been out 2 years...If you were around during the beginning (or in beta), you know the launch was not that hot for EQ2, just as it's not great for Vanguard. Vanguard has alot of work to do, but the one big thing you mentioned should be addressed within a month or 2 (it's on thier top 10 list) (The running animations of other characters). It's not that I don't think LOTRO looks and runs great...It does...But I guess I just don't like that "style" of MMO...

GamerGuyX
03-30-07, 11:10 PM
Will never play a LotR game that does not have the movie license.

pkirby11
03-31-07, 12:09 AM
Will never play a LotR game that does not have the movie license.

So the fact that the game is based off the actual novel doesn't matter? The movies were great but they certainly weren't true to the books at all. They cut so much out it's not even funny. How ever I'm not defending the game either seeing as I've yet to play it.

Hambone
03-31-07, 11:09 AM
I gave Vanguard one heck of a good shot... maybe 40 hours ingame. I'm now of the opinon that anyone still playing it is holding on to the fantasy dream of what they hoped the game was going to be. I can see nothing about Vanguard that should make anyone want to play it over EQ2.

With renewals on SOE's Station Pass going up $5 next month, I expect a flood of people to go back to EQ2 or their other home SOE games. I think Vanguard's population will totally bottom out within the next 3 months - down to a Matrix Online level.

If they had only had the money to polish Vanguard for 6 months to 1 year more before release it could have made it. But, with such a failure of a release Vanguard will never be able to hold enough subscribers.

I'd say the same thing about LOTR except for the $199 lifetime membership thing. LOTR is pretty damn polished right now and ready for release. lifetiem memberships may create a very solid and permenant player base that could keep this game at or above EQ2's subscriber numbers for a good while. More people = better MMO.

|MaguS|
03-31-07, 12:02 PM
Turbine is behind LOTRO and they have no talent, they killed DDO as soon as it launched. Hell look at how horrible Asherons Call 2 turned out... They made one decent game and that was the original Asherons Call.

Hambone
03-31-07, 02:22 PM
That opinon is about as stupid and childesh as your avatar.

|MaguS|
03-31-07, 03:11 PM

Thanks, Im guessing you never actually played any of their games then? I have beta tested and purchased all their MMOs since Asherons Call and have quited them all after acouple months of play. They are horrible MMO developers.

kevJ420
03-31-07, 03:24 PM
i was wondering how rare the old-ass dos versions by interplay are? I think the super nes one was based on those.

GamerGuyX
03-31-07, 04:05 PM
So the fact that the game is based off the actual novel doesn't matter? The movies were great but they certainly weren't true to the books at all. They cut so much out it's not even funny. How ever I'm not defending the game either seeing as I've yet to play it.

I like the movies not the books. Never even read the books, probably never will.

nrdstrm
03-31-07, 04:30 PM

Sorry man but he's right...Turbine sucks...I promised myself I wouldn't play any more games by them, but I decided to give DDO a shot (beta)...What a mistake...I should have known better. LOTRO will get its share of customers. In fact it will likely dwarf Vanguard by a good margin...For a few months...The only reason that game will be successful at all is due to the IP (LOTR)...

pkirby11
03-31-07, 07:32 PM
I like the movies not the books. Never even read the books, probably never will.

Fair enough, nothing wrong with that at all. I did love the movies and it is hard to follow a book of that magnitude to it's fullest with out making the movies drag. They did a good job and if you've never read the books than you won't know the differences. Movies rocked for sure, got them all on DVD. :D

Hambone
03-31-07, 09:53 PM
Sorry man but he's right...Turbine sucks...I promised myself I wouldn't play any more games by them, but I decided to give DDO a shot (beta)...What a mistake...I should have known better. LOTRO will get its share of customers. In fact it will likely dwarf Vanguard by a good margin...For a few months...The only reason that game will be successful at all is due to the IP (LOTR)...

DDO sucked, that's for sure.

But I fail to see how anyone could take a look at LOTR-O and say that Turbine sucks. It's a much better game at launch than (say) WoW was at launch.

I'm not having an easy time getting into LOTR-O, but it's a darn nice MMO.

lIqUID
03-31-07, 11:27 PM
the game is crap.

horrid graphics, horrid gameplay and basically not a single enjoyable aspect to it at all. I'll stick with WOW until Warhammer Online comes out.

Xion X2
04-01-07, 12:18 AM
EQ2 is polished? The game runs like ass on 8800 cards. A lot worse than Vanguard, and that's saying something...

nrdstrm
04-01-07, 03:23 AM
Really? Interesting...I've not played EQ2 since getting my GTX...

ginfest
04-01-07, 06:18 AM
Actually I've found that EQ2 runs a lot better than Vanguard on my GTS :)
With all the VSOH crashes in the past month, I re-upped EQ2 just to clear a few toons and get my broker sales and it ran for over 4 hours without a glitch!
Too bad I'm bored of the game, right now it's mostly "twinks" and the economy is crazy. Way back when it started having 1g was an accomplishment, now I have hundreds of PP.
Anyway, VSOH and it's tech probs are so far one of the great disappointments of 2007.
Although it has gotten better, it's still unpredictable as to when , not if, it will crash.
Although LOTR is not really my type of MMO, I have to say that I have it running at max, AA/AF and the high texture pack and it also hasn't crashed in 4+ hours a session.
Why Sigil can't get VSOH running with no hassles is beyond me.
Well, it seems that VSOH is already destined to be a low-pop niche game, hopefully AOC will be the next great one.

Xion X2
04-01-07, 10:16 AM
Actually I've found that EQ2 runs a lot better than Vanguard on my GTS :)
With all the VSOH crashes in the past month, I re-upped EQ2 just to clear a few toons and get my broker sales and it ran for over 4 hours without a glitch!
Too bad I'm bored of the game, right now it's mostly "twinks" and the economy is crazy. Way back when it started having 1g was an accomplishment, now I have hundreds of PP.
Anyway, VSOH and it's tech probs are so far one of the great disappointments of 2007.
Although it has gotten better, it's still unpredictable as to when , not if, it will crash.
Although LOTR is not really my type of MMO, I have to say that I have it running at max, AA/AF and the high texture pack and it also hasn't crashed in 4+ hours a session.
Why Sigil can't get VSOH running with no hassles is beyond me.
Well, it seems that VSOH is already destined to be a low-pop niche game, hopefully AOC will be the next great one.
What settings are you running EQ2 at, and what framerate are you getting? I'm getting as low as 18fps whenever there are lots of enemies on-screen at once on both a single GTX and SLI.

Hambone
04-01-07, 10:46 AM
EQ2 is polished? The game runs like ass on 8800 cards. A lot worse than Vanguard, and that's saying something...

Dude you're a freaking goober.

Obviously I was talking about the "game" not the engine. Aside from that I also have an 8800GTS and an E6600. At high settings with forced x4 FSAA (shadows off, water medium, blah blah) I get a pretty constant 60FPS at 1680x1050. I'd hardly call a game that looks as good as EQ2 and runs like that "ass".

"polished" - as in massive content, excellent UI, excellent guild system, excellent crafting system. The game is nothing like it was when it came out. They've polished the heck out of it.

ginfest
04-01-07, 12:57 PM
What settings are you running EQ2 at, and what framerate are you getting? I'm getting as low as 18fps whenever there are lots of enemies on-screen at once on both a single GTX and SLI.

Sorry I don't have FRAPS or any way to tell exact numbers. And it's not that I care about one game over the other but EQ2 does run a lot smoother to the eye and doesn't crash either. I'm set at 1650x1080 Very High all default except shadows minimal. I know it's just a subjective observation but there it is :)
I wish VSOH would run the same for me but on "balanced" it still stutters and will CTD everytime-I can delay it by staying in one chunk or just crafting but travel over 2 or more chunks, or join up in a dungeon and it will crash.
This LOTR, even though as I said not really my "type" of MMO defaulted to Very High and I'm using 4x/16x at 1680x1050 and it is smooth as silk to me, there are some minor stutters at times but it hasn't CTD on me yet.

Blacklash
04-01-07, 09:49 PM
My new rule with MMOs, since they are all rushed out the door and bugged to high heaven, is to wait six months after official retail release before I buy one. During that time I will monitor user feedback and decide if I want to give game X a whirl when the six month mark hits.

Tygerwoody
04-02-07, 02:23 PM
Turbine is behind LOTRO and they have no talent, they killed DDO as soon as it launched. Hell look at how horrible Asherons Call 2 turned out... They made one decent game and that was the original Asherons Call.
this about sums up my opinions as well.

Xion X2
04-02-07, 04:37 PM
Dude you're a freaking goober.

Right back at ya, dork.

Obviously I was talking about the "game" not the engine.

No, it wasn't "obvious," because "polished" can refer to all sorts of things.

Aside from that I also have an 8800GTS and an E6600. At high settings with forced x4 FSAA (shadows off, water medium, blah blah) I get a pretty constant 60FPS at 1680x1050. I'd hardly call a game that looks as good as EQ2 and runs like that "ass".

"polished" - as in massive content, excellent UI, excellent guild system, excellent crafting system. The game is nothing like it was when it came out. They've polished the heck out of it.

God, some of you MMO boys are so sensitive and defensive that it's ridiculous. I guess when you spend your entire life behind a keyboard in one of these MMO worlds it gets into your head after a while and you feel as if your entire existence is being threatened.

Anyway.. I like EQ2's "polish" in the way you refer to it; I just wish the game ran decent on high settings. I'm not the only one who's complained about this, by the way. The game runs pretty lousy on 8800 cards considering its graphics engine. The shadows and water are the best graphical effects on the game; you shouldn't have to turn those off in order for the game to run decent. It's over two years old, and it really takes away from the overall graphical appeal when you have to disable those features.

Some of that is probably Nvidia's fault, but I think it says something when both Vanguard (which looks better) and World of Warcraft both run so much better.

Hambone
04-03-07, 07:28 PM
A toaster could run WoW.

nrdstrm
04-03-07, 08:42 PM
A toaster could run WoW.

:lol2: I love it when people come into my work and say "I need a really good video card."..."Oh, what are you using it for? What games?"..."WOW"..."Ahh...well, just about any card I have in stock should run that well..."...
ROFL..