PDA

View Full Version : Red mouse lasers

kevJ420
03-31-07, 12:07 AM
I looked into the laser of my mouse and it's red and all of them are.

Will there ever be a blue laser for mice?

I know this is dumb, but since blue optical drive lasers are better than red ones, would the same principle apply to mice? I know they don't use the same type of laser, but anyways.

Bearclaw
03-31-07, 12:14 AM
Yours are red? I have always had blue. They have been out for some time now. I thought they were cooler looking. They cost a bit more a lot cooler looking than the generic red ones.

kevJ420
03-31-07, 12:16 AM
My tempest blue razer uses a red laser, which kind do you have that uses a blue one? Thanks for helping.

Bearclaw
03-31-07, 12:25 AM
Haha, no. I was just being sarcastic.

Seriously though, I don't know if the would go to blue or not. I know for Blu-Ray they did it because the laser is smaller and they can fit more data on a disc as a result of it. As far as incorporating that kind of technology into mice I don't know if it would be a big improvement or not. I'm gonna try to find some articles on it and if I find a anything I'll get back to you and post them here.

t3hl33td4rg0n
03-31-07, 01:40 AM
Mine is green :/

DiscipleDOC
03-31-07, 01:44 AM
Mine is mauve. (gay)

t3hl33td4rg0n
03-31-07, 01:58 AM
http://web.mit.edu/yermie/www/images/shark%20laserbeam.jpg

Belarnion
03-31-07, 04:23 AM

I know this is dumb, but since blue optical drive lasers are better than red ones, would the same principle apply to mice? I know they don't use the same type of laser, but anyways.
The reason blue laser is used in Blue Ray and HD is because the wavelength is shorter and therefore it's possible to read data packed denser. The shorter wavelength you have the better resolution you can get (in theory). That's why we use electron microscopes. The wavelength for 300keV electrons is pretty short. (a lot less than the diameter of an atom) A rough rule of thumb is that the maximum resolution you can get is equal to the wavelength you use.

The reason red laser is used for mice and also is used in CD-players is because it's cheaper to produce than shorter wavelength lasers.

You don't *need* this insane blue ray resolution for mice. Red light has a wavelength of about 700nm. That would equal to a maximum theoretical mouse resolution of several million dpi. It should be enough. What is really needed to give better mouse performance is really high quality lens systems and mouse tracking hardware+software.

What you always have, though, is the bragging factor of teh blu lazors and of course the possibility for producers to say "we have blue laser, blue lasers offer higher resolution than our competitors' red laser". Which would obviously be true...

crainger
03-31-07, 04:32 AM
http://web.mit.edu/yermie/www/images/shark%20laserbeam.jpg

Can you get that with a Frickin' Blue laser?

russ_3d
03-31-07, 01:00 PM
Can you get that with a Frickin' Blue laser?

no but you can get the model that goes pew pew when you click teh button :p

and the reason we dont really get blue lasers is its a 'sad' frequency, whereas red is hot = more girlies

nekrosoft13
03-31-07, 01:18 PM
WTF

there is no red "laser" mouse

laser mouse give NO COLOR!

if you have red light, its LED, not laser

SLippe
03-31-07, 02:00 PM
WTF

there is no red "laser" mouse

laser mouse give NO COLOR!

if you have red light, its LED, not laser
:rofl owned: :thumbsup:

Yeah, I can't see sh!t with my G7 LASER mouse. Here's to you, nekro! :beer:

einstein_314
03-31-07, 04:01 PM
:rofl owned: :thumbsup:

Yeah, I can't see sh!t with my G7 LASER mouse. Here's to you, nekro! :beer:
Ummm...I can see the RED laser in my G7....

BronzeGod
03-31-07, 11:47 PM
yea, there is a red laser in the G7, just angle the lens correctly and you'll see it, its a weak beam though.

SLippe
03-31-07, 11:49 PM
yea, there is a red laser in the G7, just angle the lens correctly and you'll see it, its a weak beam though.
Ah, gotcha. Okay, after moving it around a bit, I finally saw the little red laser. My bad.

BronzeGod
03-31-07, 11:53 PM
yea Slippe, when I first bought the MX1000, it was advertised on the box with some white beam so I thought it was colorless as well, but after closer inspection, and to much disappointment, I got a frikin red laser. What does an evil genius need to do to get a frikin white laser!? But back to the G7, I have one of the newer models, the carbon fiber design is so fly........

lduguay
04-01-07, 12:36 PM
Thanks Kevpla1, now i'm blind...

hirantha
04-01-07, 01:32 PM
yeah i think i'm gonna get the C&C eddition of G7, it looks awesome.

oh forget it i just checked and its C&C edition of G5..

ViN86
04-01-07, 01:52 PM

there are mice out there with 2000 dpi. if you complain about that, you have problems.