PDA

View Full Version : BFG 8800 GTX broken ..again

sammy sung
03-31-07, 02:46 AM
I got a new card from my retailer after RMA today ,my old BFG8800gtx crashed quite frequently in fear ,vegas tdu aming others and froze/bsod and rebooted with a garbled screen sometimes.Since my retailers supplier didnt have the normal version in stock they instead sent me a BFG8800gtx oc (gpu 600mhz/shader 1400mhz) Installed 97.95 xp after using driver cleaner,it worked fine,started 3dmark06 and had no issues.Tested TDU /worked fine.Then i played ut2004 with my girlfriend for a couple of hours,the card was fine.

Now the weird part,after that we watched a movie,left the pc on but nothing was running on it.Then when coming back i wanted to compare this cards performance compared to the last one so i started 06 but was met with a black screen.That scared me a bit so i tried oblivion,that froze on the initial loading screen,BSOD/reboot.Getting worried now so after testing a few more games with the same lockups i uninstalled the 95 set and used driver cleaner and then installed 97.92.

Still no go,getting black screens/lockups,looks like a night sky with small stars here and there.

I'm using xp with 97.92.on a fresh install wich didnt help .Tried the card in vista ,doesnt work there either.I just dont get it,how can a few hours of inactivity kill the card ?

Xion X2
03-31-07, 08:39 AM
From the Tagan website--
2 x separate +12V rails for best performance and universal support for all ATX standard Transformable mainboard connectors for PC & Server.

Do you have another PSU that you could swap in? Either a single or triple+ rail? Dual-rail PSU's are horribly optimized for high performance systems.

It's possible you just had two bad cards, but I'd say it's even more probable that your card is starved for amps. Dual-rail PSUs dedicate the entire first 12v rail to your processor and nothing else, leaving the rest of your computer to pull from the 2nd 12v rail.

sammy sung
03-31-07, 01:48 PM
From the Tagan website--

Do you have another PSU that you could swap in? Either a single or triple+ rail? Dual-rail PSU's are horribly optimized for high performance systems.

It's possible you just had two bad cards, but I'd say it's even more probable that your card is starved for amps. Dual-rail PSUs dedicate the entire first 12v rail to your processor and nothing else, leaving the rest of your computer to pull from the 2nd 12v rail.

Sadly i dont,its weird though,the first card actually worked pretty well in vista and with some games in xp,was just a handful of titles i had problems with.I was fine with waiting for better drivers since the vista updates seemed to have cured most of the bsod problems for me but went ahead with the RMA based on BFG's recommendation..But after speaking to BFG's support and him saying that my psu was fine,good enough for one GTX i dont think thats the problem.

If it was i cant understand why everything worked perfectly for 2 hours and as i mentioned nothing at all after letting it rest for a while,not one single frame from any 3d app at all whatever i did.Not even when undeclocking it a lot.I set up another RMA and this time it will hopefully be a faster one.

Time will tell i guess,might try it again with all case fans turned to low but i wasnt even overclocking the cpu while testing.Why would this card need so much more than the one i had,hell i clocked it under the standard speeds of a normal gtx but still no joy.Thx for the reply xion,appricciated.Im kinda pissed though,was looking forward to some non ati x300 TDU this weekend with 60+ fps and a nice res,instead im back at the 15-20 fps 640x480 crap :(

sammy sung
04-09-07, 10:57 PM
Xion if you read this,you talked about a possible psu issuse and i mailed tagan and asked them if the psu was sufficient for my system.Sadly they have yet to reply after 2 emails but i found this pdf on their site:

http://tagan.com/admin/include/class/pdf/20070322330052701.pdf

According to this it supplies 48 amps in total :Compatible with Intel EPS12V Ver.2.9 and EPS/ATX downward versions with four independent +12V rails, Independent four +12V rails provide individual electricity to different devices and avoid heavy-loading devices share power at the same time.

Shouldnt this be enough ?

Xion X2
04-09-07, 11:40 PM
So it has 4 12V rails. If that's the case, then it should be fine unless it's a defective unit.

How do you have the card hooked up? Through two PCI-E connectors? Try running an adapter to one of the connectors that pulls from 2 4-pin molexes and see if that helps. There should've been a y-adapter in the box your graphics card came in.

The reason I ask you to do this is because it would force the PSU to pull off another 12V rail. It's possible your PCI-E connectors, if they're how you have it hooked up now, are pulling off a rail that is overloaded.

licker
04-10-07, 12:48 PM
Try updating your sound card drivers. For about 4 months I was getting a BSOD on Ghost Recon and Stalker, Couldnt figure it out for the longest time so last night I updated all my sound card drivers...and finally EVERYTHING WORKS NOW!!! :captnkill:

sammy sung
04-10-07, 01:00 PM
Try updating your sound card drivers. For about 4 months I was getting a BSOD on Ghost Recon and Stalker, Couldnt figure it out for the longest time so last night I updated all my sound card drivers...and finally EVERYTHING WORKS NOW!!! :captnkill:

Thanks for the tip,im using the latest drivers though,through creatives auto-update.

I got a new card today,asus this time and all is well for the moment.Performance is good (10511 3dm06 default settings with cpu @ 2.67ghz) I'm using the 101.02 betas now and i hope third time is the charm or how the saying goes:) Thx for the help/input guys:)

sammy sung
04-10-07, 10:59 PM
6 hours of uninterupted BSOD free gaming tonight,didnt even run this stable on vista with the 100 series drivers.The xp 101.02 is deffo a keeper for me,IQ is superior to 97.95 imo,the hdr in testdrive looks amazing now.So i have to think i had the misfortune to get 2 bad BFG cards since the asus works flawlessly sofar,even the ut2004 stutter issues are gone (that is probably driver related,not sure though)