PDA

View Full Version : AS5 on video cards.

kevJ420
03-31-07, 01:24 PM
Something that I've always found a bit odd is how there are so many board manufacturers, yet none out of ~10 (not including exclusive ati partners) never go the extra distance to use AS5.

Why don't they use as5? Wouldn't that drop temps by about 5 C?

I would understand if maybe a few board manufacturers didn't use AS5, but there's like 10 of them and none of them use AS 5.

OCZ uses handpicked memory, but is that really better than using as5?

The only remotely possible reason I could think of, is that it takes the AS5 a little time to settle, but doesn't it take all thermal grease time to settle?

mullet
03-31-07, 01:30 PM
I agree, its not like they can't get AS5 in huge quantities for dirt cheap. On another note why don't Video manufactures just get up with Zalman and use there coolers that are 100% better then the stock crap coolers they use. It seems pretty obvious to me but owell, you would think paying $300 to $600 for a video card they would spend a little bit extra to make nicer.

kevJ420
03-31-07, 01:36 PM
They could use it for the GPU only.

I didn't even know they used thermal paste for the memory, I just thought for the gpu.

SLippe
03-31-07, 01:38 PM
They could use it for the GPU only.

I didn't even know they used thermal paste for the memory, I just thought for the gpu.
Depends on the heatsink, since some don't even cover the memory.

grey_1
03-31-07, 01:42 PM
When I went to as5 and vf700s on my 7800GTs I didn't see much difference. But I read a few reviews that said manufacturers generally did a fine job with cooling solutions for the cards.

LORD-eX-Bu
03-31-07, 01:43 PM
slap some ceramique on the memory and chips:D err.. I bet it is because the paste that they use makes it so that they don't have to make their cooler line up perfectly with all the chips.. take the heatpipe nb/sb cooler the eVGA 680i mobos. Terrible ammount of paste on those chips, if you take it off and apply ceramique or AS5 the cooler won't go back on the chips very well, you will have to bend it into shape.

SH64
03-31-07, 02:13 PM
My friend has a heat issue on his X1900XTX .. he gets artifacts & temps are around 93c. needless to say the card is new & not overclocked.
now when he used a regular thermal paste on the memory chips the artifacts have gone while temps are around the same.
i was just on phone with him telling him he'd been better if he used a AS5 on them heh ...

ATOJAR
03-31-07, 05:36 PM
Ive always used AS5 on all of my CPU & GPU's ...... I haven't got round to putting it on my 8800GTS yet though .... i have some lying around and will apply it when i do finally remember! ..... im not to worried about CPU's temps, i have it overclocked to 600MHz/1.8GHz and it still only idles at 50c.

ATOJAR
04-01-07, 01:22 PM
Ive always used AS5 on all of my CPU & GPU's ...... I haven't got round to putting it on my 8800GTS yet though .... i have some lying around and will apply it when i do finally remember! ..... im not to worried about CPU's temps, i have it overclocked to 600MHz/1.8GHz and it still only idles at 50c.

Well i just put AS5 on my 8800GTS .... put it on the two chips and the memory!.... basically everything that had the white cream on! and theres no difference in temps.... however i know the AS5 takes a few days to settle so ill just wait and see how it goes!

Rytr
04-01-07, 01:34 PM
I have used AS5 on graphic card memory chips in the past but only after masking the exposed contacts that surround the chips. When Arctic Silver came out with their non-conductive Ceramique I have used it almost exclusively or just used adhesive thermal pads as the memory does not need the extra cooling that GPUs or CPUs need because they do not generate near as much heat. The results have been just as good as AS2,3,4,or 5 and no worry about getting any on the exposed contacts.

Wolfhound
04-02-07, 01:13 AM
I only used AS5 on the GPU core, the memory don´t get too hot, my idle temp stays at 52ēC and load temp gets to 70ēC, 5-10 degrees less than standart paste

stncttr908
04-02-07, 02:19 AM
I want to say my BFG has AS on it out of the box, but I'm not sure.