PDA

View Full Version : EVGA 680i .....D.O.A.

jcrox
03-31-07, 05:48 PM
Well, I finally went and upgraded to C2D and of course, I'm one of the lucky ones. Got everything installed and right when I'm on the verge of jumping out of my skin in anticipation, I plug the beast in....hit the power button and....nothing. Just to double check, borrowed a friends Intel board and plugged everything into that, fired right up. RMA time for the EVGA 680i. Soooooo disappointed. I'm seriously thinking about getting a different board all together and avoiding EVGA motherboards from here on out...my NF41 board stunk it up too.

OrangeBlast
03-31-07, 06:03 PM
Wasn't a grounding issue? PSU was plugged in right to the 680i? RAM and all cards pushed in to slot all the way? CMOS battery was in? CPU was mounted right along with the HSF assembly? The Computer Case's reset and power switch buttons were plugged in board properly? Did you try it with 1 stick of RAM at all? Possible ESD, were you grounded when plugging in all your parts?

just some questions and things to try for the future.

jcrox
03-31-07, 06:27 PM
Everything was connected and ready to go. Like I said, put everything in a different motherboard and it worked perfect. I did put everything back into the EVGA mobo a 2nd time just to make sure....nothing. Not a fan spinning, not a single noise. I didn't mind waiting to upgrade but now that I have the memory and the processor in hand.....this really bites!!!

OrangeBlast
03-31-07, 06:37 PM
hrm, its bound to happen I guess. I've gotten my share of bad HW before, just a simple RMA or exchange usually fixes that :p

Xion X2
03-31-07, 09:51 PM
Toss it on the junk pile with all the rest of them.

jcrox
04-02-07, 01:42 PM
New board arrived this morning. Got everything set up, fired right up and OCing to 3ghz was a breeze. Played for about an hour and right in the middle of Stalker my system just shuts off for no reason. No BSOD, no crash to desktop, just completely off. Wont turn back on. Guessing it's return time. Enough with the EVGA mobo's. This is my last one. Think I'll sell my 2 640meg GTS's get 1 GTX and a 965 board.

LORD-eX-Bu
04-02-07, 01:46 PM
have you checked your PSU? maybe it killed your mobo, or it could just be Foxconn's wonderful quality:lol:

sorry man, that sucks, I had to RMA my board as well. I'm gonna go P965 and never look back at nVIDIA chipsets.

Slammin
04-02-07, 02:43 PM
My guess would be the PSU as well. I smoked an OCZ PS520 and they are pretty good. I don't know if I'd trust their multi-rail 700w PSU's in a Sli box with an overclocked CPU though.

snilloconator
04-02-07, 05:10 PM
Yeah you don't mention your power supply.... What is it?

LORD-eX-Bu
04-02-07, 05:11 PM
first line of his sig states OCZ 700W PSU :p

jcrox
04-02-07, 08:33 PM
Borrowed a friends 965 board...everything is running great for 4+ hours now. 680i can kiss my rear end. I'll definitely be dropping the 680i all together.

A101Sugar
04-02-07, 08:39 PM
I can take it off your hands for you ;)

Xion X2
04-02-07, 09:34 PM
Borrowed a friends 965 board...everything is running great for 4+ hours now. 680i can kiss my rear end. I'll definitely be dropping the 680i all together.

If you want, jcrox, you can give the board I have a try. I've had it installed for over a month now and it's running fine.

It's not perfect, but it's a lot more stable than the 680is I had were. Even on a beta bios. It has the 5-series southbridge on it, so you don't have to deal with the whole 6-series southbridge circus. Runs a lot cooler. Around 40-45C, on average.

680is can go to hell as far as I'm concerned. I honestly wish I had one of those junkyard machines where I could shape every dead 680i board in the shape of a gigantic cube and drop it with a crane right on Nvidia's doorstep. I'm sure it would dwarf their headquarters.

jcrox
04-02-07, 10:59 PM
I forgot about the 650i's. I think I will give that a try. Thanks!

Saintster
04-02-07, 11:21 PM
hrm, its bound to happen I guess. I've gotten my share of bad HW before, just a simple RMA or exchange usually fixes that :p

Bound to happen? I don't run a c2d rig but I read alot of topics from guys who do and this is a more than bound to happen incident.These 680 i motherboards suck ass from evga I'm glad their video cards hold up better. It should be more like for the guy that gets one that works ,now that's a bound to happen type thing.:thumbdwn:

daveao
04-06-07, 04:36 PM
Did you get any leds lit on the board?

DiscipleDOC
04-06-07, 04:38 PM
You see, this is what scares me. I hear so many horror stories about boards for the Intel CPU. :eek:

LORD-eX-Bu
04-06-07, 04:40 PM
its just the boards with ****ty chipsets designed in India and manufactured by Foxconn that are the problem.

kevJ420
04-06-07, 04:43 PM
I forgot about the 650i's. I think I will give that a try. Thanks!

Get the gigabyte 680i. It doesn't have the problems any of the other 680i boards have.

It's gigabyte's best product in a long time.

Although, I'm thinking about SLI when I say this, so I guess a 965 board could be best.

the intel board of the 965 may be better than the asus one, i don't know.

kevJ420
04-06-07, 04:46 PM
You see, this is what scares me. I hear so many horror stories about boards for the Intel CPU. :eek:

That's a good assumption to make, b/c my parents' asus a8r32MVP deluxe is cold as **** and it is stable as ****. The thing that's so amazing is that it uses modest passive cooling and neither the nb nor the sb go above 38 C full load.

Xion X2
04-06-07, 04:48 PM
Get the gigabyte 680i. It doesn't have the problems any of the other 680i boards have.

Ha.. yeah.. sure it doesn't. People said the same thing about the Asus boards until the same problems kept repeating themselves over and over.

It has nothing to do with the board manufacturers or Intel. It's a chipset issue.

daveao
04-07-07, 12:36 PM
Do not fear. Have faith. The Intel CPU's are great. I was an AMD fan for a long time, but NOW it is what it is.
There simply is no comparison.