PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista Games Explorer - Games that support it?

Pages : [1] 2

GamerGuyX
03-31-07, 11:58 PM
Does anybody have a link to or a list of all the games that automatically add itslelf to the Games Explorer in Vista? Hate having to install a game and it's nowhere to be found in the Games folder...

EDIT:
Games that have been confirmed to support Vista Games Explorer:

Advent Rising
Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings
Age of Empires III
Age of Empires III: The WarChiefs
American McGee's Alice
Battlefield 2
Battlefield 1942
Beyond Good and Evil
Black & White 2
Black & White 2: Battle of the Gods
BloodRayne
Call of Duty 2
Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay
Company of Heroes
Counter-Strike Source
Deus Ex
DOOM 3
Driv3r
Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion
Far Cry
FlatOut 2
F.E.A.R.
Gothic 3
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
GTI Racing
Guild Wars
Half-Life 2
Half-Life 2 Episode One
Half Life: Source
Halo
Heroes of Might & Magic V
Hitman: Blood Money
Lego Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy
Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle-Earth II
Mafia
Matrix Online
Max Payne
Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Microsoft Flight Simulator X
Need for Speed: Carbon
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2
Need for Speed: Most Wanted
Neverwinter Nights
Neverwinter Nights: Shadows of Undrentide
Neverwinter Nights 2
Prey
Serious Sam 2
Shadowgrounds
Sid Meier's Civilization IV
Sid Meier's Pirates!
Sims 2 + Expansions
Sin Episodes: Emergence
Splinter Cell
Splinter Cell: Double Agent
Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow
Star Wars Battlefront
Supreme Commander
SWAT 4
System Shock 2
Titan Quest
TOCA Race Driver 3
Tomb Raider Legend
Undying
Unreal Tournament 2004
Warcraft III
X3
Xpand Rally
Zoo Tycoon 2
Zoo Tycoon 2: Marine Mania
Zoo Tycoon 2: Zookeeper Collection

*List is incomplete - will add more titles to the list in the future*

wEEt
04-01-07, 04:58 AM
I have FarCry, HL≤, Mafia, Warcraft III and CS: Source in the list. Stalker for example is not listed and the information shown in the list are always wrong. This list is a feature that no-one needs I guess :o

crainger
04-01-07, 08:47 AM
I'm trying to use it. I've added Stalker to the list (Only game I have installed right now). My gf says all The Sims 2 + Expansions are in the list automatically.

grey_1
04-01-07, 10:37 AM
I don't even touch it. No reason other than I think it's rather useless.

nekrosoft13
04-01-07, 12:26 PM
I'm trying to use it. I've added Stalker to the list (Only game I have installed right now). My gf says all The Sims 2 + Expansions are in the list automatically.

how did you add a game to it?

GamerGuyX
04-01-07, 03:12 PM

Drag a shortcut into it.

But doing that kind of defeats the purpose becuse it doesn't display the box art, the ESRB rating, etc. >:{

Also, I did some searchching and supposedly games as old as Starcraft display correctly in Games Explorer. The information to the game seems to be retrieved from a database like the one used for music info in WMP. Obviously, the game version of the database is not even close to complete.

tacos4me
04-01-07, 03:13 PM

Just drag a shortcut.

nekrosoft13
04-01-07, 03:16 PM
Drag a shortcut into it.

But doing that kind of defeats the purpose becuse it doesn't display the cover art, the ESRB rating, etc. >:{

i didn't know that, thanks

i wish someone would create some type of program that would be able to add games correctly

radekhulan
04-01-07, 03:19 PM
Most older games are not added automatically after installation, but when you first run them. If not, you can drag&drop them, and wait few seconds, it will usually download game cover, data, etc.

In my case, only very few games are not supported (do not have a full cover and info): http://hulan.cz/temp/games.png

nekrosoft13
04-01-07, 03:25 PM
here is mine
http://xs414.xs.to/xs414/07130/jgosdgh0ifhd0ghj.jpg

GamerGuyX
04-01-07, 04:12 PM
Hmmm, check this out:

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=34&threadid=2001493&enterthread=y

This definitely helps me some.

EDIT: Using the information in that thread I still can't customize the games with only a shortcut in Games Explorer. The only thing that seems to be affected with the registry tweaking is the name.

LycosV
04-02-07, 02:35 AM
here is mine

Yowza, that's a lot of installed games. I tend to let all my games fall victim after a couple reformats.

Maybe we should have a contest for who can have the most games recognized in their games explorer at the same time. :)

Darkoz
04-02-07, 05:55 AM
So apart from some extra info about the game showing up, what's the point of Games Explorer?

nekrosoft13
04-02-07, 07:41 AM
So apart from some extra info about the game showing up, what's the point of Games Explorer?

Itís great if you have kids, or in my case, annoying cousins.

Set parental options, and they can't play anything.

nekrosoft13
04-02-07, 07:41 AM
Yowza, that's a lot of installed games. I tend to let all my games fall victim after a couple reformats.

Maybe we should have a contest for who can have the most games recognized in their games explorer at the same time. :)

i have more games installed, just about half of them don't get detected.

GamerGuyX
04-02-07, 01:40 PM

It keeps all your games organized in one easily accessible location. Plus the box art kicks ass.

Banko
04-02-07, 01:45 PM
Itís great if you have kids, or in my case, annoying cousins.

Set parental options, and they can't play anything.
Actually the other thing is it is supposed to download and find patches automatically as well.

Badboy_12345
04-02-07, 03:55 PM
here is mine

strange...
I have half life 2 and titan quest installed but they dont get detected like yours... :thumbdwn:

I have the swedish version of vista... it just keeps sucking more and more..
Its like they dont know that there are localized versions of vista out there...

MS: "What swedish version of vista???!??! WTF IS THAT!?... no sorry we arent supporting something we dont know of" :rolleyes:

XDanger
04-04-07, 08:56 PM
so does it keep ALL your saved games in a single "SAVE GAME" folder?? :)

Otherwise its useless ,I already keep all my game shortcuts in a folder on my xp desktop.

nippyjun
04-05-07, 01:20 AM
I found this post where the person created a reg file that's supposed to get the box art and other info to the games explorer:

http://www.hak5.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3821

Look at the last post on the fist page.

I'm not sure exactly how to use this reg file that you create. For instance, if i already have a game installed and it's not in the games folder but i dragged the shortcut to the games folder,does this reg folder overwrite the existing info for the game?

Burnt_Ram
04-05-07, 09:30 AM
hmm, i'm going to sound like an idiot but what exactly is games explorer? is it just the same place where you launch default windows games like solitaire etc? sorry i havent spent much time playing with Vista.

GamerGuyX
04-05-07, 04:26 PM
hmm, i'm going to sound like an idiot but what exactly is games explorer? is it just the same place where you launch default windows games like solitaire etc? sorry i havent spent much time playing with Vista.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Vista_Games_Explorer#Windows_Vista_Games_E xplorer

Dr.Nick
04-05-07, 10:50 PM
A few oldies that have Game Explorer support are Undying, Deus Ex, Alice, and System Shock 2! All great games btw :cool:

Edit- Can also add Advent Rising, Halo, Max Payne, Xpand Rally, GTI Racing, Half Life: Source, Prey, X3, Beyond Good and Evil, Shadowgrounds, Riddick, BloodRayne and Driv3r. This is where I run out brain power for a few:D

GamerGuyX
04-10-07, 08:35 PM
A few oldies that have Game Explorer support are Undying, Deus Ex, Alice, and System Shock 2! All great games btw :cool:

Edit- Can also add Advent Rising, Halo, Max Payne, Xpand Rally, GTI Racing, Half Life: Source, Prey, X3, Beyond Good and Evil, Shadowgrounds, Riddick, BloodRayne and Driv3r. This is where I run out brain power for a few:D

Oops. Just saw your post. Thanks for sharing. :)

Ryan_R
09-17-07, 08:40 AM
You can edit information in your Vista Games Explorer by using a program that I made

It's available here: http://ryzza007.googlepages.com/vgee

Enjoy - email me any feedback you have and spread the link around :)