PDA

View Full Version : cable modem upload speed

scotmi1@cox.net
04-01-07, 03:18 AM
is anyone else sick and tired of their upload speed i got cable installed the other day and the guy said it was gonna be 8 megabytes down and 512 kiloboytes up and i got it installed and i was getting only like 700k down and 40k up i dont understand it i mean i know the difference with bits and bytes so i called cox up and they said i might have hit the monthly limit and been throttled but when i told them i just signed up they said they would send a tech out to my house now im stuck with these slow speeds until saturday. the upload really sucks i mean especially with limewire i try to get songs and this stuff pops up in my toolbar saying your computer has a virus but i click on it and its like an advertisement. Id like to hear your guys input on the matter.

methimpikehoses
04-01-07, 03:49 AM
COX

retsam
04-01-07, 03:50 AM
ok, now this is really getting out of hand. someone need to eject this asshate he's starting to get on my nerves.

scotmi1@cox.net
04-01-07, 04:05 AM
ok, now this is really getting out of hand. someone need to eject this asshate he's starting to get on my nerves.

I quoted you this time because theres a problem with your hypothesis that im just trying to start stuff i dont know where your gettig that from but i just want to know why the cox upload speed isnt made clear on the first contract. the technician should wait with you and explain in black and white what speeds are what.

retsam
04-01-07, 04:29 AM
I quoted you this time because theres a problem with your hypothesis that im just trying to start stuff i dont know where your gettig that from but i just want to know why the cox upload speed isnt made clear on the first contract. the technician should wait with you and explain in black and white what speeds are what.
your not garenteeed your bandwidth, not a single provider is going to garentee it on a residential line. if you look at there TOS and there advertisements, it states "up to xxxx". no provider is going to give you an SLA, so dont give me this false advertisement crap.

8800gtsfan
04-01-07, 08:13 AM
is anyone else sick and tired of their upload speed i got cable installed the other day and the guy said it was gonna be 8 megabytes down and 512 kiloboytes up and i got it installed and i was getting only like 700k down and 40k up i dont understand it i mean i know the difference with bits and bytes so i called cox up and they said i might have hit the monthly limit and been throttled but when i told them i just signed up they said they would send a tech out to my house now im stuck with these slow speeds until saturday. the upload really sucks i mean especially with limewire i try to get songs and this stuff pops up in my toolbar saying your computer has a virus but i click on it and its like an advertisement. Id like to hear your guys input on the matter.

First of all it's UP TO 8MB down and 512kB upload. Second outside of their network anything over about 5MB will be tough, but once you are off their network they are no longer responsible for the hardware and unfortunately thats just how it works.

8 kilobits to every 1 kiloByte.

On a speed test if you get 700 Kb (big B = Byte, little b = bit) you have to multiply this by 8 to find out in kilobits what speed you are really getting. Most speed tests report in Bytes.

700kB down = 5600 kbps or 5600 kb
40 kB upload = 320 kbps or 320 kb

I pay for 6MB down and 768kb upload. www.Speedtest.net shows me getting 5800 kbps down and 867 kbps upload.

Run a test at www.speedtest.net and see what you get. Of course if you are using network equipment like a router or have more than one PC connected and running this can all affect your speeds. Run a speedtest with the network setup and another with a direct connection to one PC and compare the results. Alot of times a customers router or a virus on a PC will severely hinder performance.

Xion X2
04-01-07, 09:04 AM
You guys are getting reeled in by a parody here.

ViN86
04-01-07, 01:56 PM
First of all it's UP TO 8MB down and 512kB upload. Second outside of their network anything over about 5MB will be tough, but once you are off their network they are no longer responsible for the hardware and unfortunately thats just how it works.

8 kilobits to every 1 kiloByte.

On a speed test if you get 700 Kb (big B = Byte, little b = bit) you have to multiply this by 8 to find out in kilobits what speed you are really getting. Most speed tests report in Bytes.

700kB down = 5600 kbps or 5600 kb
40 kB upload = 320 kbps or 320 kb

I pay for 6MB down and 768kb upload. www.Speedtest.net shows me getting 5800 kbps down and 867 kbps upload.

Run a test at www.speedtest.net and see what you get. Of course if you are using network equipment like a router or have more than one PC connected and running this can all affect your speeds. Run a speedtest with the network setup and another with a direct connection to one PC and compare the results. Alot of times a customers router or a virus on a PC will severely hinder performance.
quoted in the hopes that the OP will read it carefully because if he doesnt he will keep posting retarded threads on this issue.