PDA

View Full Version : xbox 360 Elite = no HDMI 1.3

Pages : [1] 2

Connaught
04-03-07, 12:18 AM
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/04/02/xbox_360_elite_is_not_hdmi_1.3_compliant/

This is quite disappointing for those [not me :( ] that have the set up to take advantage of the Dolby Digital Plus and wanting a 360 to take advantage of that...

Seems microsofts idea of an Elite experience is without HDMI 1.3...however you could "If you are keen on having 5.1 PCM output, I recommend purchasing the Toshiba A2 player which after the price drop, will be much cheaper than Elite."
- Amir Majidimehr, Corporate Vice President of Microsoft's Mobile and Embedded Devices Division

S.I.N
04-03-07, 01:40 AM
Waits for the usual to come in and say HDMI or the best audio you can get doesn't matter. And oh the PS3 has HDMI 1.3.

Badboy_12345
04-03-07, 01:47 AM
how many actually have a reciever that has HDMI?
I dont know a singel one.. I havent even seen one :p

Amuro
04-03-07, 02:09 AM
Me neither.

NaitoSan
04-03-07, 03:55 AM
that's a bit disappointing but oh well. maybe 65nm xbox360 will have hdmi 1.3.

oh good god, your avatar is just plain gross, darthbeavis. :headexplode:

ViN86
04-03-07, 08:45 AM
I am buying one (HDMI receiver with HDMI 1.3) this summer so it is relevant. I think it sucks but I will still buy a new 360 for 1080p across HDMI anyways. YOU will likely be able to have optical 5.1 from the 360 just not true HD which requires HDMI 1.3 due to BandWidth issues. I use a combination of HDMI and optical digital switches so I am covered either way.
360 already supports 1080p via component :|

i really dont understand this "Elite" system....

thor1182
04-03-07, 08:53 AM
but only upscales DVDs via VGA right?

LurkerLito
04-03-07, 09:26 AM
IMO the Elite is now absolutely worthless unless you really want a black 360. I certainly hope that purchasers at the very least get a quieter version than the current jet engine sounding 360. HDMI v1.2 is fine 1.3 is not necessary at all, but to actually have a HDMI v1.2 connector but not allow it to send out 5.1 PCM is the most idiotic thing ever.

evilchris
04-03-07, 11:29 AM

I've had one for nearly a year.

evilchris
04-03-07, 11:31 AM
to actually have a HDMI v1.2 connector but not allow it to send out 5.1 PCM is the most idiotic thing ever.

So much speculation! Are you sure they just "aren't allowing it"? It is more likely the X360 can't decode THD on the fly like the players. Too much to do in software.

GamerGuyX
04-03-07, 11:45 AM

I own a receiver with HDMI.

HDMI v1.2 is fine 1.3 is not necessary at all, but to actually have a HDMI v1.2 connector but not allow it to send out 5.1 PCM is the most idiotic thing ever.

Exactly. That's the whole issue here (which many fail to understand).

360 already supports 1080p via component :|

i really dont understand this "Elite" system....

Only for games not movies.

evilchris
04-03-07, 11:50 AM
Exactly. That's the whole issue here (which many fail to understand).

Many also fail to understand that the 360 probably doesn't have enough power to decode advanced audio codecs in software. That would be required for PCM output. It seems like people really want bitstream output but are asking for PCM because they don't know what either is.

|MaguS|
04-03-07, 12:06 PM
Many also fail to understand that the 360 probably doesn't have enough power to decode advanced audio codecs in software. That would be required for PCM output. It seems like people really want bitstream output but are asking for PCM because they don't know what either is.

So are you saying the X360 is weaker then the PS3? The PS3 does Uncompressed 5.1 PCM through software don't see why the X360 wouldn't be able to...

evilchris
04-03-07, 12:09 PM
So are you saying the X360 is weaker then the PS3? The PS3 does Uncompressed 5.1 PCM through software don't see why the X360 wouldn't be able to...

Magus, the PS3 *outputs* LPCM because that is exactly what it is reading off the BD's. It isn't decoding anything. HD DVD's have encoded audio tracks of DD+ or THD.

GamerGuyX
04-03-07, 12:15 PM

I don't give a damn what the reason for not supporting 5.1 PCM though HDMI is. The 360 Elite is a crippled machine until it can do so. Give me results, give me a reason to buy the Elite not this gimped knock-off.

|MaguS|
04-03-07, 12:22 PM
From what I have read, the PS3 supports decoding of uncompressed 5.1 PCM, its not just limited to Blu-Ray playback. The only format it doesn't decode internally right now is DTS-HD but it will be added in the future I guess once more studios begin supporting it.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/feature_ps3vsxbox360addon.html

The unit's default setting is LPCM (Linear PCM), meaning that it will convert any digital audio signal to uncompressed PCM audio for playback via your receiver/outboard rig. Which is all well and good if you have a higher-end (and right now, pricey) setup that can accept multi-channel 24bit 192khz PCM via HDMI. Otherwise, you have to "pass through" the original soundtrack untouched via either HDMI or optical (aka Sony's "MultiOut"). In this case, you need to go into the PS3's setup menu and select "Bitstream" instead of Linear PCM. This will pass through the original soundtrack format untouched -- be it Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital-Plus and Dolby TrueHD, SACD, or DTS and DTS-HD. From there, it is up to your receiver to decode the audio and reproduce it through your speakers.

evilchris
04-03-07, 12:28 PM
From what I have read, the PS3 supports decoding of uncompressed 5.1 PCM, its not just limited to Blu-Ray playback. The only format it doesn't decode internally right now is DTS-HD but it will be added in the future I guess once more studios begin supporting it.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/feature_ps3vsxbox360addon.html

Magus, uncompressed 5.1 PCM is not encoded.

evilchris
04-03-07, 12:31 PM
I don't give a damn what the reason for not supporting 5.1 PCM though HDMI is. The 360 Elite is a crippled machine until it can do so. Give me results, give me a reason to buy the Elite not this gimped knock-off.

I'm failing to see the need for games...

The 360 isn't an HD playback machine, it's a game console.

kevJ420
04-03-07, 12:34 PM
I've never been a fan of >2 channel setups.

I don't like subwoofers either.

You can get uncompressed digital pcm (output) with 2 channels.

Keep in mind the audio files on the disc are compressed.

The other problem is scaling.

The final problem is they should use a faster, higher quality dvd drive.

I was hoping (but not expecting) a top-loading machine.

Top loading versions of machines in the past haven't always been the best though.

GamerGuyX
04-03-07, 12:37 PM

It's a game console with an HD DVD add-on (and now with the Elite an HDMI output). Give me my damn lossless audio.

|MaguS|
04-03-07, 12:56 PM
I'm failing to see the need for games...

So better sound quality is only for movies? Games will see no benefit from it? Resistence uses uncompressed audio and MGS4 is rumored to be using it aswell which is why Kojima likes Blu-Ray so much.

Tygerwoody
04-03-07, 01:06 PM
I've never been a fan of >2 channel setups.

I don't like subwoofers either.
Why are you are such an idiot?

Every single post I am running into nowadays consists of you bickering about nothing.

Ancient
04-03-07, 01:14 PM
Those that already have receivers with HDMI probably don't have HDMI 1.3 inputs anyway. Very few do at this point in time so unless you want to dump some cash on a new receiver (and currently the ones with HDMI 1.3 aren't cheap) it's not going to matter anyway.

And, yes, the 360 can do 1080p over component but not every TV can do 1080p over component or VGA. Some, like my JVC, can only do 1080p over HDMI.

kevJ420
04-03-07, 01:16 PM
So better sound quality is only for movies? Games will see no benefit from it? Resistence uses uncompressed audio and MGS4 is rumored to be using it aswell which is why Kojima likes Blu-Ray so much.

I agree.

I hate it when people say no difference between dvd and blu ray.

An exact reason is so that there can be more and uncompressed music on a BD-ROM game, so it does matter.

Think about when it was CDs and carts.

There's uncompressed music on Rondo of Blood (Redbook CD audio) and then a lot of the same tunes are on a Super NES cart which used compression and there was a world of difference.

You can never really have too much storage space.

The PS3 games will ultimately have more content, be longer, and have higher quality and uncompressed music.

This is the exact reason why I hate the DS so much. It's for people who want their games to be compressed and not the very best.

I know I've said this before, but even a 2D game would benefit from the ps3 compared to the 360. If the Castlevania's were on the PS3 instead of the DS they would be much longer and have uncompressed music.

thor1182
04-03-07, 01:19 PM
so we need 2d sidescrollers with uncompressed 18bit audio and our supreme poster Kev would be happy.