PDA

View Full Version : X-Box 360 Day...

Monolyth
04-03-07, 11:19 AM
Well I held out for as long as I could, but it's now time to rejoin the console ranks (haven't owned a console since SNES). I shall remain a PC gamer, but I've set down my "Console Hater" attitude and will be picking up my x360 from Best Buy today...

Included shall be:
X-Box 360 Premium
Gears of War
GRAW 2
Turtle Beach Ear Force X2 Wireless headset.
12-month Gold X-Live subscription.
Quick recharger.
Play & charge kit.
VGA HDAV x360 cable.

I would like to take this opportunity to take back my console hater statements of the past, written not in wisdom but in ignorance of the new generation of consoles. ;)

NaitoSan
04-03-07, 11:58 AM
Woot, good for you. ;) XBOX 360 is indeed, one of best next-gen consoles atm while PS3 is catching up.

evilchris
04-03-07, 12:01 PM
Woot, good for you. ;) XBOX 360 is indeed, one of best next-gen consoles atm while PS3 is catching up.

The PS3 is REAL next-gen

vampireuk
04-03-07, 01:06 PM
I picked one up at the weekend, passes the time.:D

LiquidX
04-03-07, 01:08 PM
You might want to buy online or at another retailer. Walmart and Toys R'us is giving a $50 rebate and Dell is giving a free copy of GOW with a premium.

Monolyth
04-03-07, 01:13 PM
You might want to buy online or at another retailer. Walmart and Toys R'us is giving a $50 rebate and Dell is giving a free copy of GOW with a premium.

Unfortunately that came too late, I actually ordered about 7am today and chose "pick up" from a local Best Buy, they've got all my stuff ready to go, all that's left is me waiting 2:30hrs till I leave work early for..."personal business". :)

But yeah, here's hoping Gamertag: Monolyth is still available (though I doubt it).

Edit: After doing a quick search it looks like Monolyth is taken already /cry. Does anyone know if they ever purge gamertags?

Edit2: After a quick search looks like you can change your gamertag for $10, wonder if I could get into contact with this guy and pay him to change his tag. I know it sounds a bit over the top but I've been Monolyth for over 10 years now and I would prefer not to change it.

sytaylor
04-03-07, 02:19 PM
The deals in the Uk are pretty good right now too, but I'm not overly fussy, I've had 5 good months with the 360 and many more to come.

Lyme
04-03-07, 02:24 PM
If you have a reciever with a optial spdif, you may want to pick up a optical cable as well. Monster optical cables are overpriced.

Microsoft also updated their warrant again http://www.xbox.com/en-ca/support/systemsetup/xbox360/resources/warrantyupdate.htm

Zelda_fan
04-03-07, 05:07 PM
The PS3 is REAL next-gen

d00d

ViN86
04-03-07, 05:15 PM
Well I held out for as long as I could, but it's now time to rejoin the console ranks (haven't owned a console since SNES). I shall remain a PC gamer, but I've set down my "Console Hater" attitude and will be picking up my x360 from Best Buy today...

Included shall be:
X-Box 360 Premium
Gears of War
GRAW 2
Turtle Beach Ear Force X2 Wireless headset.
12-month Gold X-Live subscription.
Quick recharger.
Play & charge kit.
VGA HDAV x360 cable.

I would like to take this opportunity to take back my console hater statements of the past, written not in wisdom but in ignorance of the new generation of consoles. ;)
you wont regret your purchase.

tornadog
04-03-07, 05:23 PM
welcome to the "PC Sucks" club!!!!

Hex
04-03-07, 05:53 PM
I will not touch another 360 until they go to the .65nm chip.
I had my hopes up that the elite would be it, but it honestly sucks.

Imbroglio
04-03-07, 06:06 PM
But yeah, here's hoping Gamertag: Monolyth is still available (though I doubt it).

Edit: After doing a quick search it looks like Monolyth is taken already /cry. Does anyone know if they ever purge gamertags?

Edit2: After a quick search looks like you can change your gamertag for $10, wonder if I could get into contact with this guy and pay him to change his tag. I know it sounds a bit over the top but I've been Monolyth for over 10 years now and I would prefer not to change it.

no, they never purge them, which sucks as imbroglio is a bull**** account that isn't even being used. just a named someone created and then ditched. i kept searching for different variations of my name on xbox.com many of which were taken, ended up with my name because i just got frustrated with it :cool:

so i know how you're feeling ;)

Peoples-Agent
04-03-07, 06:23 PM
I will not touch another 360 until they go to the .65nm chip.
I had my hopes up that the elite would be it, but it honestly sucks.

Tbh, the ones with the more recent manufacture dates have been fine.

kev13dd
04-03-07, 09:32 PM
Tbh, the ones with the more recent manufacture dates have been fine.
While the newer ones might be showing less problems, you can't blame anyone who got screwed with a practically guarenteed to die Xbox 360 from early on would be a bit upset. I have one that I'm practically afraid to turn on because I fear it will die. If it does, I'm waiting for the .65 before I try buying a new one

K

PaiN
04-04-07, 06:34 AM
I've had an XBox 360 since Nov"06" hooked up to an old SD 36" TV...never really gave it much thought, mostly my oldest used it once in awhile and I played some NFS:MW and GoW, my feelings about it were "ehh" take it of leave it. Recently, I got sick of PCs and PC gaming and decided it was time to sell off the PC, buy an HD-TV and dig into XB360...(for undisclosed reasons)the PC never got sold. Not wanting to game much more on the PC, plus I still really wanted to see what XB360 had to offer. I found the MS HD-VGA cable(its also capable of sound out put through the PC's sound card) not thinking any of this would actually work or do anything special if it did, I moved afew things around hooked it all up....and was utterly floored :D I could not believe how good 360 looked and sounded...I played like 4 hours straight(alot for an old guy ;) ) of GoW...I couldn't stop. I'm suddenly very impressed with this console, never knew what I was missing. I have to get afew cables and extensions I want the PC back under the desk and the 360 up by or under the monitor...this is what the setup looks like atm:

http://home.comcast.net/~moso/images/gc1.JPG

Monolyth
04-04-07, 09:54 AM
Nice PaiN, I'll have to take a pic of my setup when I get home. :)

WARNING LONG STORY:
I had an issue with Best Buy last night...I went and got the console no worries, hooked it up, only to to get an error 67. Took off the HD as one MS KB article said and it booted right up. I then proceeded to start setting it up. Interestingly my system did not come with a 64MB memory card so without the ability to setup a Live account (for updates that might fix the HD issue ) without a storage device I had to frantically run out to pick one up before my 7:00pm Karazhan raid (WoW), it was ~6:10pm at the time and there's no places within a 30 minute radius (due to crappy street lights) that would have it. I went out anyway, got the stick and logged onto WoW...I setup my PIP on my Westy to have my VGA be the sub so I was able to play WoW and setup my Live account at the same time.

After getting all that done and receiving the updates it turns out the HD and system itself was just bad...and I don't mean "new" bad, I mean "used" bad. Yeah...turns out Best Buy handed me someones untested return that they just re-shelved or something. Here I was thinking my X-Box 360 was experience was going down the tubes fast, but it turns out Best Buy just lost my online business.

Took the new one home, and started hooking it up as I waited for my invite to the raid (after which no more playing with the 360 for awhile hehe. So I got it hooked and low and behold it booted perfectly, all my options were there (other system didn't even have 1920x1080 as a rez option). Got it setup, reclaimed my Live ID. And I'm up and running and ready to go once I'm done raiding.

So later that night I did the tutorial round of GoW, and ummm yeah died a few times. Please keep in mind I have not seriously played a console since SNES days, certainly no console with dual hat controls in addition to arrow keys and eight buttons, etc. I started a CO-OP game with a friend, safe to say I will be "learning" the controller for awhile, but stuff does look beautiful on it.

I also grabbed the Zune software and put it on my file server and enjoyed some music while I gamed. I'm digging on the interconnects to the media system. ;)

And by the way, I've ready some sketchy reviews of the headset I bought (Turtle Beach Ear Force X2), they couldn't be more wrong about the IR interference. I had a friggin' full 2 liter of Coca-Cola sitting like right in front of the transmitter and I didn't notice any difference. I even waved my hand across and it didn't flinch.