PDA

View Full Version : Question for those of you with a Westinghouse LVM-37W3

einstein_314
04-04-07, 12:34 AM
Ok so I'm looking for a new TV to hook up to my HTPC. I want something with 1080p and I don't have loads of money to blow on it (I'm upgrading computer at the end of the month too...). Anyways, I've pretty much decided on the LVM-37W3.

Ok so now for my question. What are the viewing angles like on it? I want everyone in my living room to be able to see it well. I would go to a store and look at one...but they aren't available in canada. I'm going to have to order it from the US.....So I don't want to get it only to find out that the viewing angles suck.

Thanks guys!

einstein_314
04-04-07, 04:58 PM
Bump! Come on guys...I know several of you have them....

I'll post this in the widescreen monitors thread too....maybe it will be seen better there...

Riptide
04-04-07, 06:03 PM
Front on ofcourse is going to be the best. The colors are pretty good from angles. However it's been my experience with all panels, including ones with supposed excellent angular performance, that the blacks tend to get more washed out when viewed from much more than 25 degrees off.

Zelda_fan
04-04-07, 11:35 PM
Viewing angles are pretty good. You have to be looking at it from an extreme angle before the picture really starts to degrade.

OWA
04-04-07, 11:46 PM
Front on ofcourse is going to be the best. The colors are pretty good from angles. However it's been my experience with all panels, including ones with supposed excellent angular performance, that the blacks tend to get more washed out when viewed from much more than 25 degrees off.
That's the way it seems on my W1.

nekrosoft13
04-05-07, 09:14 AM
viewing angles are just like pretty much every LCD on the market.

you will have no problem

Burner_Tbird2
04-05-07, 09:53 AM
View Angle is not a problem with this HDTV. However I would not recommend the 37W3 be used for anything other than a monitor. It looks gorgeous in 1080p, decent at 720p and absolutely horrid at any lesser resolution. Its a common issue with HDTVs but its particularly noticeable with this one. If you're using it as a monitor or next gen console display you'll never have that problem though. :thumbsup:

einstein_314
04-05-07, 05:53 PM
Yeah I'm using it with my HTPC (Home theater PC) so it will be running at it's native resolution.

Thanks for the responses guys :thumbsup: Now I just need to find a place that will ship it to Canada....anybody know one? So far I've found B&H Photo (I've ordered stuff from them before - great company, but the shipping is $250 US!). I've also found TechOnWeb.com....they seem to be reputable (from reseller ratings) but they haven't emailed me a quote on shipping yet. Every other place doesn't ship to canada (I used pricegrabber to see who sells it). Humph....

Heinz68
04-06-07, 12:48 AM
As others already said you wont have special problems with viewing angles.
I'm very happy with my Westy LVM-37W3, for now using it mainly as PC monitor and to watch DVD movies.
I was lucky last December to buy one in Canada with free "White Glove Delivery" plus 30-day Money-back Guarantee if not fully satisfied.

J&R also ships to Canada probably for much less than B&H but they sell the monitor for $1,199.00.
Many retailers don't have the Westy LVM-37W3 in stock claiming it's the end of the model line.

Be prepared that you might have to pay duty. I did read I believe at AVSForum that somebody was bringing the monitor to Canada from US and was charged 5% duty plus the sales taxes.

einstein_314
04-07-07, 12:22 AM
As others already said you wont have special problems with viewing angles.
I'm very happy with my Westy LVM-37W3, for now using it mainly as PC monitor and to watch DVD movies.
I was lucky last December to buy one in Canada with free "White Glove Delivery" plus 30-day Money-back Guarantee if not fully satisfied.

J&R also ships to Canada probably for much less than B&H but they sell the monitor for $1,199.00.
Many retailers don't have the Westy LVM-37W3 in stock claiming it's the end of the model line.

Be prepared that you might have to pay duty. I did read I believe at AVSForum that somebody was bringing the monitor to Canada from US and was charged 5% duty plus the sales taxes.
Thanks! Looks like I can get it from J&R for a bit cheaper than from B&H. Well I guess it depends on the duties....

Where did you get yours from in Canada?

Heinz68
04-07-07, 12:29 PM
Thanks! Looks like I can get it from J&R for a bit cheaper than from B&H. Well I guess it depends on the duties....

Where did you get yours from in Canada?
Last November Crutchfield expanded to Canada, I caled them about the monitor and they put me on the preorder list.
On December 08/2006 the monitor arrived and i purchased one for 1,200 CAD (about 1,044 USD) plus tax and free shipping. Since they are located in Mississauga ON you would have save the Provincial Tax.

I knew many Canadian buyers were waiting for that model. I posted the news at AVSForum and also at NV News Forum
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1091236#post1091236
The monitor was sold in couple days. Since that time Crutchfield never had the monitor again, I believe claiming it was the end of line.

At 2007 CES Westinghouse (http://www.hwhpr.com/pr/westinghouse/CES07/TX_1080p.html) introduced new line of 1080p LCD HDTV's but not new 37", since it was number one LCD model sold in North America maybe it will stay with us little longer.