PDA

View Full Version : can you switch pci e slots

takovr
04-04-07, 09:40 AM
I have a asus motherboard with 2 pcie video card slots a blue one and a black one, My motherboard manual tells me if i'm using one video card to put it in the blue slot but I have a problem with that because I bought one of the
new heat sinks for my video card but it is hitting my cpu heatsink. My question is can I use the other pcie video slot for my video card even though I only have one video card installed in my computer ?

Saintster
04-04-07, 11:49 AM
If the new heatsink is the hr03 thermaltake you can mount it both ways. I don't think you can use any other slot but the top one but I may be wrong.

SLippe
04-04-07, 12:38 PM
If the new heatsink is the hr03 thermaltake you can mount it both ways. I don't think you can use any other slot but the top one but I may be wrong.
You are correct.

takovr
04-04-07, 02:25 PM
Didn't understand what you ment buy "both ways" buy now I understand, you mean flip it 180 so the cooler is on the bottom...

Saintster
04-04-07, 04:45 PM
You are correct.

I thought that was the way it went,i hate to give incorrect info. Thanks for verifying that.

Saintster
04-04-07, 04:48 PM
Didn't understand what you ment buy "both ways" buy now I understand, you mean flip it 180 so the cooler is on the bottom...

I was knda vague on that. I had to flip mine around because of the Zalman cpu cooler the fan on the hr03 wouldn't fit. I installed it the other way and it just fit in above my xfi sound card.

Dazz
04-04-07, 08:53 PM
You can use any PCI-E slot, the centre one however is 8x but can still do SLI but will be 8x + 16x Much like the Intel boards for crossfire. However i have not personally done this myself.

Redeemed
04-04-07, 08:58 PM
You can use any PCI-E slot, the centre one however is 8x but can still do SLI but will be 8x + 16x Much like the Intel boards for crossfire. However i have not personally done this myself.

Are you sure of this? I just might try this out right now...

crainger
04-05-07, 02:33 AM
With my motherobard you can use either PCIE slot. Mine an Abit though and probably a different Chipset (nForce4 for mine).

Bearclaw
04-05-07, 03:13 AM
With my motherobard you can use either PCIE slot. Mine an Abit though and probably a different Chipset (nForce4 for mine).
I can do it with mine also.

lucida
04-05-07, 05:47 PM
It depends on the chipset. the worst case, you'll get pcie 4x instead of 16x. And thats ok, a performance drop of <5% only.