PDA

View Full Version : MS Defends 120GB HD Price!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

|MaguS|
04-04-07, 05:32 PM
This is one of the best PR spins ever! You can laugh at Sony all you want but this probably tops them in most regards...

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3158485

"We know it is expensive and we have definitely heard that feedback but it is a little apples and oranges to compare it to internal PC hard drives because those are off the shelf drives that you have to install yourself. There is a lot of work there for your average consumer it is not a plug in and play experience for them,"

"When we buy from suppliers we require a lot more spec reports and tests because that drive has to be able to perform at specific speeds all the time in order to support our environment and our gameplay experiences. Those are not the same specs that they are able to deliver to with off-the-shelf drives,"

Guess MS must be using some super uber rare drives!

kev13dd
04-04-07, 06:05 PM
Yup

And the reasons their DVD drives are so loud is because they want you to be able to hear if it's working

K

BioHazZarD
04-04-07, 06:14 PM
they cant defend the drive at that price haha nice try.

Lyme
04-04-07, 07:02 PM
Have to admit, they put a decent PR spin on the subject. Still a expensive drive.

toxikneedle
04-04-07, 07:22 PM
That spin might have worked if the PS3 didn't allow you to install "off-the-shelf" drives.

|MaguS|
04-04-07, 07:31 PM
But the HDs of the X360 are of a higher calibur because each is tested and benched to make sure they can sustain the stress that the X360 puts on HDs!

evilchris
04-04-07, 08:07 PM
I hear these drives use tEH cELL. That is why they are so expensive. Afterall, you're not just getting a drive, you're getting a supercomputer.

nopp0x00
04-04-07, 08:14 PM
They're right though. People will usually pay a premium for the sake of lazyness. They prefer something they can just plug in and then play, and that is where Microsoft comes in to charge more.

Microsoft is not the first and won't be the last product manufacturer who tries to make a profit on accessories. All of the big names are responsible for overcharging on accessories.

Anyhow, if people find the price unfair then they should vote with their dollars; just like those people who dislike the price of the PS3 and refuse to buy it on principle.

toxikneedle,

"That spin might have worked if the PS3 didn't allow you to install "off-the-shelf" drives."

I doubt most people would go through the trouble of changing out the drive on a PS3, so from a pure lazyness perspective they have a point. People attach a premium on being able to be lazy.

sytaylor
04-04-07, 08:21 PM
Why not just make external USB drives compatible with the 360? Et voila for $80 you have another few hundred gig.

|MaguS|
04-04-07, 08:23 PM
They're right though. People will usually pay a premium for the sake of lazyness. They prefer something they can just plug-in and then play, and that is where they come in to charge more.

And Microsoft is not the first and won't be the last product manufacturer who tries to make a profit on accessories. All of the big names are responsible for overcharging on accessories.

Anyhow, if people find the price unfair then they should vote with their dollars; just like those people who dislike the price of the PS3 and refuse to buy it on principle.

toxikneedle,

"That spin might have worked if the PS3 didn't allow you to install "off-the-shelf" drives."

I doubt most people would go through the trouble of changing out the drive on a PS3, so from a pure lazyness perspective they have a point. People attach a premium on being able to be lazy.

Personally, my PS2 is more worth it to me at this point, especially with new games coming out for it. So this doesn't affect me one bit.

If it was about pure laziness then why not allow users to use a USB HD with their unit? Sony doesn't force any user to buy their product other then the controller and remote (that is untill someone else developes one that works with the PS3 via bluetooth).

Let us not forget that to get a wireless device for your X360 you MUST buy an official device, MS will not allow any 3rd parties to develop a wireless device for the system while on the PS3 you can use any Bluetooth device.

Xbots usually defend and attack the PS3 because MS gives the owners a choice by not forcing an HD-DVD Drive or an HD but honestly... they are ripping off every owner. Sure the core console is a choice but in the long run your going to want these things and your going to have to pay premium because you can only get it from MS while atleast Sony allows you to get accessories from anyone. They are the real ones who provide a choice...

evilchris
04-04-07, 08:27 PM
In the long run I am going to want an HD DVD drive for my 360 Magus?

Sony forces you to buy a BD player. I might want a PS3 for Motorstorm. I am forced to pay a $200 premium for something totally useless to me. The BD drive was put in the system as a way to strongarm BD players for MOVIES into peoples homes. It was never about the games so don't give me that BS "MORE ConTENT!!!" line.

Your double standards are hilarious. Sony has NEVER been about choice. Sony is a monopolistic company just as MS is. Your credibility is suspect when you imply that Sony is a consumer friendly company.

|MaguS|
04-04-07, 08:44 PM
Again, I never argued that Sony is forcing BD into homes by including it in the PS3 but other then that what else are they forcing you to purchase? Want to save some and buy a 3rd party controller? Go ahead, want to buy another HD? Yup, all your choice on brand... Cables? Any brand... Hell I even think some bluetooth remotes work with the system aswell now... want a wireless headset? get a phone bluetooth headset...

All choices that MS does not offer. If you buy a 3rd party accessory for your X360 its either wired or a wireless from MS. No choice...

Oh and yes, BD is helping games. Shall I bring up how Resistance and MGS4 are using it to bring higher quality audio? No not FMVs like all you xbots claim its going to be used for but something that helps with immersion while playing a game. Sure they could have gone with multiple discs but thats a pain... especially if sitting far from the TV.

Im guessing that the PS2 and Xbox never needed DVD drives... I mean they could have just used CDs which would have lowered the cost of the systems aswell. I mean MGS3 or FFXII would have just been 6 CDs but hey you just saved some on the console! Who's to say that future titles wont be hitting 20GB+ easily? Oh right, you can because you know how useless BD is... It's not about "MoRE COnTENT!!?!!!" its about higher quality audio, higher quality textures and models and FMV thats not compressed to ****. It's about getting bonus features on a single disc or multiple audio tracks on games... all possible with extra storage. I can imagine some games coming with a movie or episodes included on a single disc. The hack series each come with 2 DVDs because each game also includes an anime episode that is a prequel to the game.

Ok, Since I replied to that comment... now please go off about HDMI 1.3 and how useless it is. And then you can go off about the CELL... and then you can go off about RSX... and then about Sony's PR....

Stop making excuses, Sony built a very reliable and well thought out machine, you might not agree with it but guess what... it is.

evilchris
04-04-07, 08:45 PM
Wow that's a great ad! Here's how it reads to me:

"Hi I'm Magus, I am a paid shill".

I don't have to make excuses because I have no zealous love for any Company. You posted a barrage of BS about Sony being this kind, caring, choice oriented company. I called you on it and you typed up a Sony ad.

|MaguS|
04-04-07, 08:54 PM
Wow that's a great ad! Here's how it reads to me:

"Hi I'm Magus, I am a paid shill".

Awww something there hit home? Oh BTW about Sony forcing a Blu-Ray player onto people who want a game console. You can look at it as Sony forcing a game console onto people who want a Blu-Ray player since its ranked as one of the top Blu-Ray players aswell. ;)

http://www.blu-ray.com/players/

You know, I do respect you with your knowledge of AV Equipment but much of it is lost once you start responding like a 12 year counter-strike player who just got banned from a server.

EDIT:
Never once have I said Sony was Kind or Caring but they are giving console owners a choice when it comes to anything other then the Blu-Ray Drive in the console which can be seen as a blessing and a curse when it comes to both movies and gaming. I already explained why it can be beneficial and of course everyone knows why its a curse (price, duh).

Burner_Tbird2
04-04-07, 09:40 PM
Pretty low accusing Magus of being paid by Sony. In debates you know you're opponent is out of options when he resorts to personal attacks :thumbdwn:

Moo
04-04-07, 09:46 PM
Pretty low accusing Magus of being paid by Sony.

I think it's even worse that he's not being paid by Sony... such free, loyal devotion! ;)

ENU291
04-04-07, 09:55 PM
Pretty low accusing Magus of being paid by Sony. In debates you know you're opponent is out of options when he resorts to personal attacks :thumbdwn:
I personally don't think that MaguS is a paid Sony shill but some of his actions at times do make you wonder.

Burner_Tbird2
04-04-07, 10:00 PM
He seems to have pretty clear cut reasons for defending Sony to me. Its laughable how trendy its become to knock Sony for having the best console and being proud of it.

|MaguS|
04-04-07, 11:00 PM
Thing is... I don't think the PS3 currently is the best console (most reliable and feature rich, yes). I think in the future it will be better then the X360 but at this present time I think the X360 is a better gaming platform and have said so in the past... multiple times.

I just have no reason to hate or dislike the Playstation brand. It has brought me much entertainment over the years, far more then any of the other consoles they have gone against in the past.

I just find it funny that everyone rags on Sony but when MS or Nintendo do things that are even more questionable everyones mouth is shut. Sony has made some good decisions with the PS3, sure their PR is horrendous but come on... its Japanese Pride... not the console that sucks.

If I fully only cared and support Sony then I wouldn't own ever console by the competitors. I support them all but I favor the Playstation brand and I never hid that fact.

Peoples-Agent
04-04-07, 11:07 PM
He seems to have pretty clear cut reasons for defending Sony to me. Its laughable how trendy its become to knock Sony for having the best console and being proud of it.

It's not the best "games" console though is it.

That's the problem.

With the delays and investment it should be been, but it simply isn't.

Amuro
04-04-07, 11:43 PM
It's not the best "games" console though is it.

That's the problem.

With the delays and investment it should be been, but it simply isn't.
Neither is the X360. I don't know about you people, but for us Asians that love Japanese flavored games more than anything else, the X360 practically has nothing to offer. If I want to play American games, I'd go play on my PC.

ViN86
04-04-07, 11:56 PM
This is one of the best PR spins ever! You can laugh at Sony all you want but this probably tops them in most regards...

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3158485

Guess MS must be using some super uber rare drives!
ROFL

what a crock of **** :rofl

the best part is the average consumer actually buys into this **** theyre feeding them hahaha.

Peoples-Agent
04-05-07, 12:01 AM
Neither is the X360. I don't know about you people, but for us Asians that love Japanese flavored games more than anything else, the X360 practically has nothing to offer. If I want to play American games, I'd go play on my PC.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but it's an "American" console. Thus the reason not every other game is a Hentai Wetdream, which is why I like it.

Japanese flavoured games, you obviously need a PS3. Simple as.

I cannot stand most Japanese flavoured games, as you call them.

LurkerLito
04-05-07, 12:28 AM
Sorry to burst your bubble, but it's an "American" console. Thus the reason not every other game is a Hentai Wetdream, which is why I like it.

Japanese flavoured games, you obviously need a PS3. Simple as.

I cannot stand most Japanese flavoured games, as you call them.

There are no Japanese flavored games for the US PS3, but there is at least one "hentai wetdream" (Dead or Alive Xtreme 2) for the 360. Two if you count Rumble Roses.

Amuro
04-05-07, 12:33 AM
Which is my point, there's no single best "games" console for everyone. BTW, I wasn't referring to Hentai Wetdream, when I said Japanese flavored.