PDA

View Full Version : Bought a 42inch LG LCD! but need some help!

OrangeBlast
04-05-07, 03:52 AM
So I quite my job and before my discounts go away I decided to go ape crazy and buy things I really don't need. Consider this a prize to myself for working there for 6 years and well....crysis:

I got this new LG 42LB5D 1080P Tv LCD, it looks DAMN amazing in the store...so I was sold...and LG seems to be getting better and better.

But anyways...the main purpose of this LCD is to be used as HTPC...or mainly a monitor for my computer and gaming. Espeically given its 5ms response time

Well I got it all out of the box and plugged in...I have my DVI to HDMI cord going from my Evga 8800GTX video card to HDMI #3 input on the LG LCD.

Wow....pretty cool....

UNTIL I noticed what looked like black wavy lines going up and down the screen. They remind me refresh lines when looking at a CRT through a camcorder.

I tried different refresh rates and still got the lines. The refresh rate should be 60 though....

also...I mainly bought it for 1080p of course....when I switch the resolution over to
1080 on my video settings...

Well...it looks friggen horrible...the fonts become green and ugly, they lose their sharpness and solidness. And the worse part about it, the screen doesn't fit on my LCD! The edges are all cut...my windows start menu is below the bezel of the LCD and I have to guess and place my mouse cursor over in the bottom left corner somewhere! Isn't this overscanning? I've browsed google and I find people using their computers with 32, 37, 42 inch LCD screens WITH 1080P working perfect for them. Perhaps its my cord? Its a DVI - HDMI cable. This TV doesn't have a DVI in put...most don't I suppose.

when I switch it over to 1360x768, the screen finally fits fully on to my LCD and the fonts looks better and all that stuff...however I still see the lines going up and down. Perhaps I'm seeing electircal noise?

what is going on! I need help!

Edit: I believe those black lines I'm seeing are due to me being about 2 feet from the monstrosity of an LCD. I do see them but...i think it more has to do with distance. Hrm...more observations needed.

OrangeBlast
04-05-07, 03:14 PM
this is annoying, I'm thinking of taking it back. Does anyone have an idea?

ViN86
04-05-07, 03:47 PM
:confused:

did you try the other DVI port on the 8800GTX?

shouldnt be the DVI-HDMI cable. both are digital. does your card recognize the HDTV? what does it say in monitor properties?

OrangeBlast
04-05-07, 04:02 PM
Yup, tried the other port, same result....

In monitor properties it says: Generic PnP Monitor

Nvidia CP says: LG TV

This monitors native resolution IS 1920x1080...however it looks friggen horrible and all 4 edges get cut off. Overscan crap.

ViN86
04-05-07, 04:05 PM
Yup, tried the other port, same result....

In monitor properties it says: Generic PnP Monitor

Nvidia CP says: LG TV

This monitors native resolution IS 1920x1080...however it looks friggen horrible and all 4 edges get cut off. Overscan crap.
any other ports on the TV, ie VGA?

VGA will handle 1920x1080. probably wont be as crisp, but if it works itd be a step in the right direction.

OrangeBlast
04-05-07, 04:07 PM
Yes, there is a VGA in port however it limits me a certain resolution, I can't recall what it is but its not the 1920x1080 native resolution. :(

I'd have to go DVI-VGA...i'm using a 8800GTX

J-Mag
04-05-07, 04:17 PM
There is an aspect ratio option in your panel's setting's options, did you play around with that?

OrangeBlast
04-05-07, 04:20 PM
Yes, I have it set to 16:9 ...I can do Zoom 1 and Zoom 2, 4:3, and set by program...not sure what that is and what program I'd use to that but it is an option.

I'm in Vista 32 and we all know how handicapped Nvidia Vista drivers are.

Uhg, frustrating to see other people getting the full 1080P experience and I'm dead in the water.

EDIT: Set by program means that the screen will fix itself depending on signal...but doesn't do anything for me :(

J-Mag
04-05-07, 04:51 PM
I'm in Vista 32 and we all know how handicapped Nvidia Vista drivers are.

Solution = XP, just dual boot for a while.

OrangeBlast
04-05-07, 04:56 PM
is there a way of manually putting in refresh rates/freq?

ViN86
04-05-07, 08:14 PM
is there a way of manually putting in refresh rates/freq?
i know that custom refresh rates and custom resolutions are allowed in XP.