PDA

View Full Version : I need advice about CRT ---> LCD

spaceigg
04-05-07, 12:28 PM
Hi I have a Dell 20'' CRT monitor it works great... but its bulky... that bothers me..
Would you recommend to change to an LCD? I am mainly interested in Gaming...
thanks

DiscipleDOC
04-05-07, 12:39 PM
Hi I have a Dell 20'' CRT monitor it works great... but its bulky... that bothers me..
Would you recommend to change to an LCD? I am mainly interested in Gaming...
thanks
I highly recommend it. with your hardware in your sig, you will immensely enjoy the pleasures of digital gaming....;)

DRen72
04-05-07, 04:36 PM
http://img.shoppydoo.com/products/73/BenQ_FP241WZ-60x60.jpgBenq 241WZ.

I did extensive research on this subject only last month after gaming on a CRT since the beginning of time. The Benq is my first LCD. Being LCD it has taken some getting used to, but I'm happy with it. The worst part about an LCD over CRT is the black colors. LCD's cannot do true darks as well as CRT's, but its the absolute only thing that is negative. The desktop text and brighter gaming is far and away a better experience.

newparad1gm
04-05-07, 04:38 PM
Its a good upgrade, and the only reason gamingwise to keep a hefty CRT on your desk now is if you play games at unconventional resolutions and like to keep resolution scaling without the blurring associated with running LCD monitors at nonnative resolutions. Otherwise, running games at an LCD's native resolution is a treat.

DRen72
04-05-07, 04:41 PM
Its a good upgrade, and the only reason gamingwise to keep a CRT now is if you play games at unconventional resolutions and like to keep resolution scaling without the blurring associated with running LCD monitors at nonnative resolutions.

This is true and an important consideration. I run my games at 1920x1200 (the native resolution) and it looks fantastic, but I've also tried 1680x1050 and while it still looks ok, its a bit blurry...although you might like the slight AA effect it has.

Once the nVidia drivers fix the scaling issue, you should have no problems running a non-native resolution game though. The Benq panel is particularly good at this.

spaceigg
04-05-07, 05:02 PM
Terrific, Thanks so much for your input guys! I appreciate it.

Mathesar
04-06-07, 10:05 PM
Ive been stubborn about the whole switching over to LCD thing, Im currently using a 24" Sony GDM-FW900 CRT and a 20" NEC 20WMGX2 LCD (side by side) and find myself using the CRT for most tasks ,especially gaming & movies. The black levels on the LCD are just ridiculously bad compared to the CRT which really takes away from a lot of situations. especially when using the CRT as a reference which consistently shows me how important black levels really are.

kevJ420
04-06-07, 11:29 PM
Ive been stubborn about the whole switching over to LCD thing, Im currently using a 24" Sony GDM-FW900 CRT and a 20" NEC 20WMGX2 LCD (side by side) and find myself using the CRT for most tasks ,especially gaming & movies. The black levels on the LCD are just ridiculously bad compared to the CRT which really takes away from a lot of situations. especially when using the CRT as a reference which consistently shows me how important black levels really are.

The black levels are great with the opticlear coating. I think they may even be better than the CRT, w/ NEC opticlear. Are you having backlight bleeding?

Anyways, I recommend the LCD just mentioned. I have it too.

Thing that sucks about it though is 1680x1050 max res and no wide color gamut.

Mathesar
04-06-07, 11:43 PM
The black levels are great with the opticlear coating. I think they may even be better than the CRT, w/ NEC opticlear. Are you having backlight bleeding?

The 20WMGX2 gives the illusion of good black levels IF there is a nearby lamp or semi bright lighting present (Thanks to opticlear), but shut the lights out and watch a movie and the LCD shows its *true* black level capability.

I took this pic w/ the lights out to give an idea what I mean, CRT is on the left and I had the LCD adjusted as dark as possible.Pic (http://ded.zenblue.net/crt_left_lcd_right_blacktest.jpg)

Mathesar
04-06-07, 11:45 PM

The 20WMGX2 gives the illusion of good black levels IF there is a nearby lamp or semi bright lighting present (Thanks to opticlear), but shut the lights out and watch a movie and the LCD shows its *true* black level capability.

I took this pic w/ the lights out to give an idea what I mean, CRT is on the left and I had the LCD adjusted as dark as possible.Pic (http://ded.zenblue.net/crt_left_lcd_right_blacktest.jpg)

dont get me wrong the NEC has a great picture otherwise ..Ive just always been picky about black levels even BEFORE lcd's were around. Not all CRTs have excellent black levels so I was picky about the models I bought back then as well.

DRen72
04-07-07, 12:05 AM
Mathesar is right, even the current best LCD panels give up good black level colors to even crappy CRT's. However, I can say that the Benq 241WZ I have is not quite that grey in black colors as the NEC example there. But still, that pic is an excellent example of what to expect in most cases.

WimpMiester
04-07-07, 12:46 PM
My Sony 32" Bravia XBR has perfect black levels. Plus with its native PC input built-in scaling of non-native resolutions don't blur and it has text enhancing feature so true type isn’t necessary. This is great when you use a CRT and LCD together like me. There’s a reason Sony XBR's are more expensive and that’s because they have the best picture.

Amuro
04-07-07, 10:45 PM
My Sony 32" Bravia XBR has perfect black levels. Plus with its native PC input built-in scaling of non-native resolutions don't blur and it has text enhancing feature so true type isnít necessary. This is great when you use a CRT and LCD together like me. Thereís a reason Sony XBR's are more expensive and thatís because they have the best picture.
Maybe I should try some of the Sony products. I'm just so into B&O products. Almost everything in my apartment is B&O including the telephones.

Zelda_fan
04-08-07, 12:32 AM
Maybe I should try some of the Sony products. I'm just so into B&O products. Almost everything in my apartment is B&O including the telephones.

The B&O build quality pretty much annihilates Sony.

But it's also cost about 8x more than Sony's products.

I think they sell plasma TVs for somewhere around $40,000.

They are a terrible deal for your money, but if you have the money, and absolutely must have the best, B&O is a great choice.

d00mskull
04-08-07, 03:42 AM
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16824116375

Well worth it. Its what I use and has never had any dead pixels or ghosting. :D