PDA

View Full Version : Onboard NIC

jesterekim
04-05-07, 04:11 PM
I'm wondering how many of you use the onboard NIC, I'm wondering if I should buy a NIC card when building a new rig.

DiscipleDOC
04-05-07, 04:13 PM
Why would you want to buy something that is provided for you? I have dual NICS on my mobo and I use them both (bridged).

Bearclaw
04-05-07, 04:51 PM
Why would you want to buy something that is provided for you? I have dual NICS on my mobo and I use them both (bridged).
What do you mean you use both bridged? I am unfamiliar with that.

einstein_314
04-05-07, 05:56 PM
What do you mean you use both bridged? I am unfamiliar with that.
Basically you can connect both NIC ports to your router, and then bridge them. So it can use both at the same time. It basically doubles your bandwidth....but it's only useful if all your computers on the network have the same thing....Wont' make any difference at all for internet use...

As for the original posters question....there is no need to buy a NIC if the motherboard already has one. Unless you wanted say a gigabit nic and the mobo only has a 100mbit nic....

Dazz
04-05-07, 06:55 PM
You will find about 1% of people will now have PCI/PCI-E NIC cards due to pretty much every board has them. In online games they make very little diffrence. They are also hardware NIC cards too. Not like the software modems. They still use more CPU usage then addin cards but it now pretty minamal.

Sazar
04-05-07, 07:01 PM
Well there IS that killer-nic option. The reviews show that it might give you a little better performance due to reduced cpu over-head.

Other than that though I fail to see a reason not to use a perfectly good on-board solution.