PDA

View Full Version : S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Using Stolen Doom3/HL2 Assets?

Pages : [1] 2

nekrosoft13
04-06-07, 10:06 PM
Shacknews is reporting that various message board forums have claimed bits of artwork in GDC GameWorld's recent post-apocalypse first person shooter S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl may have been lifted from previously released games like id Software's Doom 3 and Valve's Half-Life 2. They offer comparative screenshots to illustrate the theory, which is apparently bolstered by the fact that the suspect images seem to share filenames with the alleged source materials:
One of the first threads to be made regarding the matter was posted to the MapCore forums; the thread creator, user michi.be, posted screen captures allegedly comparing the light image folders from S.T.A.L.K.E.R. to those of Doom 3 (all screen captures locally mirrored). Tellingly, though some of the images had been modified in various ways, such as having hue or saturation adjustments, the original filenames from the Doom 3 folders remained the same--for example, a file with the Doom-esque name "lights_impflash.dds," referring to one of the game's enemies, was visually modified in the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. folder but retained the filename. Later in the same thread, user Johnny posted an image allegedly comparing a water texture from S.T.A.L.K.E.R. to a water texture from Half-Life 2. As in the Doom 3 case, the images were nearly identical and the filename was unchanged with the exception of its extension.
Responding to inquiries made by Shacknews, id Software CEO Todd Hollshead stated:
I've seen a post on a web forum that claims DOOM3 assets are used in another game, but we've been working hard on Enemy Territory: Quake Wars as well as our own internal project and have not had the time to fully investigate or otherwise verify that the claim is true. Only from what I've seen on the Web, it's concerning. However, it may turn out to be nothing. Nevertheless, it would be improper to make any decision about a course of action until we find out whether the claim is true, and what assets from DOOM3, if any, have potentially been used.

http://www.ggmania.com/?smsid=23525

OWA
04-06-07, 10:13 PM
That's not good, if true.

Tork64
04-06-07, 10:13 PM
Oh damn..

911medic
04-06-07, 10:18 PM
Those comparison pictures, if accurate, are pretty damning.

grey_1
04-06-07, 11:04 PM
I hope this isn't true, best FPS I've ever played.

Crap.

Amuro
04-06-07, 11:19 PM
I couldn't care less. The game is a disappointment anyways.

Richteralan
04-06-07, 11:28 PM
not surprising.

agentkay
04-06-07, 11:43 PM
I couldn't care less. The game is a disappointment anyways.

Stalker pwns Doom3 and HL2.

XxDeadlyxX
04-06-07, 11:45 PM
I could care less. STALKER has 'borrowed' those assets and made a better game ;)

Amuro
04-06-07, 11:50 PM
Stalker pwns Doom3 and HL2.
Never really liked those two either. And no, Stalker pwn3d itself with a average press rating of 7.2.

agentkay
04-06-07, 11:56 PM
Never really liked those two either.

Sure, its all about personal taste, but I personally have the most fun playing Stalker then I did with D3 and HL2. Anyway, back on topic, I donīt think its good to steal assets but until id and Valve confirm this "theft" I donīt care too much about it. Sucks of course for GSC to get this negativity but it shouldnīt reduce the success of their game.

XxDeadlyxX
04-07-07, 12:26 AM
Never really liked those two either. And no, Stalker pwn3d itself with a average press rating of 7.2.

Um.. its 8.2 and half of the complaints are bug-related, which are being fixed in patches.

Reviewers are never right anyway :bleh:

Quickstar
04-07-07, 12:52 AM
Never trust a Russian!

I remember playing a leaked alpha and all the guns used Counter-Strike sounds for reloads and firing.

Amuro
04-07-07, 12:54 AM
Um.. its 8.2 and half of the complaints are bug-related, which are being fixed in patches.

Reviewers are never right anyway :bleh:
It's average 7.2 from 10 press reviews, unless IGN's giving the wrong info.

I don't know, I'd been waiting on this game since 2001, but the final version turned out not be what I had expected. I have the game but I couldn't bring myself up to finish it. I played about 30 minutes and that's it. Bugs are one thing, but the FPS + RPG type gameplay just not for me.

XxDeadlyxX
04-07-07, 01:09 AM
Ahh ok... I took mine from metacritic and gamerankings :p

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/stalkershadowofchernobyl

lumpyhed
04-07-07, 06:37 AM
You can buy texture libraries i believe..

BioHazZarD
04-07-07, 07:17 AM
Damn that looks exactly like a ripoff to me..

CaptNKILL
04-07-07, 07:57 AM
Wow, this is really really sad. :(

I hope this was just a mix up and they used texture packs from the same sources.

If not, at the very least there are going to be a bunch of people at GSC fired over this. That looks to be quite a bit of resources, so I'd be surprised if the company didn't get some serious fines or even have to pull the game from the shelves.

:(

EDIT: BTW, as much as I like this game and as much as I want GSC to do well in the future, they definitely deserve whatever they get for stealing resources without getting permission or giving credit. The company as a whole might not deserve any severe punishment, but the guys who did this definitely should have known better. Freaking DUH... how the hell do you leave all that in there, even as place holders? That'd be like writing a novel and using pages from other books until you could fill in some gaps, then just deciding to leave them in there when you had it published. :retard:

XxDeadlyxX
04-07-07, 08:04 AM
Hmmmm I hope nothing bad happens. Dont see why they would have even needed to rip off these anyway, they did a fantastic job with everything else!

CaptNKILL
04-07-07, 08:45 AM
Hmmmm I hope nothing bad happens. Dont see why they would have even needed to rip off these anyway, they did a fantastic job with everything else!
I'm guessing they just used them as place holders but either forgot to replace them or just felt it wasn't necessary.

Regardless of the excuse, it shouldn't have happened. What could the texture artists have possibly been doing while the code was being finalized over the last few months? I highly doubt they were still working on assets that late in development, but thats when the borrowed resources should have been replaced, even if they kept the old file names, it should have been a pretty damn big priority to get other people's work out of their game.

LurkerLito
04-07-07, 01:31 PM
There really should be no excuse for this happening, but if you look at how games and most computer programs are written, you can see how easily something like this happens and it's actually surprising something like this hasn't happened before. You know something has to give when you work several days/weeks straight with little to no sleep to make the deadline. If they did use the textures as placeholders, after all that sleep deprivation I don't think anyone would even remember or notice they were in there.

But you'd think that if you put placeholders in the game you'd have some kind of reminder note written to take them out before the first beta test.

NaitoSan
04-07-07, 01:53 PM
That's not good. :( I finally got a copy of Stalker and man, I love it! Really worth the long wait. I hope it's either not true or id and Valve will come up with something than putting GSC out of business or something.

I'd like to see the sequel to stalker someday (if the ending leaves it open for the sequel).

Quickstar
04-07-07, 02:00 PM
Ahh ok... I took mine from metacritic and gamerankings :p

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/stalkershadowofchernobyl

Well, according to this link the average user review is 7.4. I trust users more than a trust reviewers (which are users)

Banko
04-07-07, 03:03 PM
As far as I know none of this stuff is being used in game, during the earlier betas CS sounds were place holders, I don't think it matters if some of this stuff was left over.

SH0DAN
04-07-07, 05:50 PM
I am glad I bought my copy before it gets yanked or recalled.I hope ID is not a bunch of a**holes about this,and work something out with them,rather then force them to pull the game.