PDA

View Full Version : Tim Sweeney on 1up Yours

Marvel_us
04-06-07, 10:49 PM
There's an interview with Tim Sweeney and Mark Rein on this weeks 1up Yours.

I'm listening to it now and it seems that they don't like the idea of MS charging PC gamers for certain features in Games for Windows. I agree, a lot of those things were free to begin with so why should we have to pay for them now?

I'm not sure what else they cover in the interview but check it out if you're interested. The interview starts at around 38:30.

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3149993

OWA
04-06-07, 11:02 PM
Thanks for the link.

Quickstar
04-07-07, 02:22 PM
What are they charging us for?

Quickstar
04-07-07, 02:27 PM
http://games.kikizo.com/news/200703/026.asp

It's not too bad. They will charge us to play against other Xbox360 members. It doesn't say anything about charging us for PC multiplayer. Plus, the membership is transferable. So those with an Xbox Live account can use it for the Games for Windows Live account. Unless im missing something...

Marvel_us
04-07-07, 02:46 PM
According to Mark Rein and Tim Sweeney things like voice chat and buddylists will be charged for which is something that they aren't too fond of since that stuff was available for free in UT2003.

S.I.N
04-07-07, 02:49 PM
Listening to that really shows how MS would be a disaster to the console gaming industry if they come out on top. Epic wants to give 360 GoW owners free content but MS wants to charge for it. Then on the PC side there trying to implement a paid service that PC gamers have had free for ages. More than that Epic is saying implementing MS Live service on the PC will split there game base so thats why they wont implement it. They even laughed when EA's name was mentioned because not even EA will do it. Some of the most highly respected game devs and publishers in the industry are telling them its a stupid idea and you would think they would at least listen to them if they wont the gamers. If this service was free it would be so in there favor its not even funny. So many more would know about Live and give it even more recognition but there looking for profit instead on gander. Pathetic and I hope Live of PC fails miserably.:thumbdwn::thumbdwn:

mullet
04-07-07, 03:24 PM
I agree, was free for years but now we (MS) want to make money off of it. The EA thing was funny. I think to get Valve, EA, ID & Epic on board with Windows Live will be a miracle.

kevJ420
04-07-07, 03:30 PM
Listening to that really shows how MS would be a disaster to the console gaming industry if they come out on top. Epic wants to give 360 GoW owners free content but MS wants to charge for it. Then on the PC side there trying to implement a paid service that PC gamers have had free for ages. More than that Epic is saying implementing MS Live service on the PC will split there game base so thats why they wont implement it. They even laughed when EA's name was mentioned because not even EA will do it. Some of the most highly respected game devs and publishers in the industry are telling them its a stupid idea and you would think they would at least listen to them if they wont the gamers. If this service was free it would be so in there favor its not even funny. So many more would know about Live and give it even more recognition but there looking for profit instead on gander. Pathetic and I hope Live of PC fails miserably.:thumbdwn::thumbdwn:

I think MS is taking too much control over things. One major thing that made PCs unique over consoles (and Macs) was the open-box style. The PC is on it's way to a closed-box system, unfortunately. Microsoft is probably going to charge royalty fees for PC games soon. Then we'll pay console game prices for PC games.

DX 10 is stupid too. They created a lower precision RT format than FP16. 8800GTX supports FP32 MRTs. Watch MS try to make developers go with the lower precision one, b/c MS likes games to have bad graphics.

Distance Fog sucks. Their new ref. rast. distance fog sucks even more. HL2 issues with it.

They didn't even create a technique for longer draw distances w/ DX10.

The only thing I really want MS to force developers to do, is to move up 24/96 internal audio rendering.

kevJ420
04-07-07, 03:31 PM
I agree, was free for years but now we (MS) want to make money off of it. The EA thing was funny. I think to get Valve, EA, ID & Epic on board with Windows Live will be a miracle.

Technically, it will be damnation.