PDA

View Full Version : Massive AMD Price Drops on X2 6000+ and X2 5600+

Pages : [1] 2 3

Heinz68
04-07-07, 02:25 PM
Looks like NCIX.com is the first with huge AMD price reduction, at least they send me email claiming that they are the only one, probably for not too long. :)

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ (http://www.us.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=21227&manufacture=AMD&promoid=1060) New Price $197.51 Regular $555.10
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ (http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=21228&manufacture=AMD&promoid=1060) New Price $250.25 Regular $517.80
NCIX Canada has similar price drops.

I believe AMD by far the biggest mistake was no longer supporting Socket 939, if they did they could have sold zillion of the above and at the same time stopping many people from jumping to Intel.

Since the complete upgrade is so costly I'm probably going to wait for Barcelona and DDR3 mobos hopefully this coming fall.

PS
Based on AnanTech review the AMD X2 6000+ competes good with Intel Core Duo E6600
Here "Gaming Performance" (http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2933&p=8) sample, about the same goes for other applications tested in the same review.

I believe if the same chips are overclocked Intel is going to be way ahead, on the other hand not everybody does overclock.

When it comes to "Power Consumption" (http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2933&p=9) especially under load Intel is clear winner
Under load it's clear that AMD needs 65nm to be competitive with Intel as only the 65nm X2 5000+ is able to draw power similar to that of its Intel counterparts. Note that AMD is at a bit of a disadvantage here as it's running on a more power hungry nForce 590 SLI chipset compared to Intel's P965, but the power requirements at 2.8GHz - 3.0GHz on AMD's 90nm process are quite real.
AMD needs 65nm top to bottom in a bad way; not only will it help ease capacity constraints, but it will also keep AMD from turning into the power hungry chip maker that Intel once was.
Maybe the reason for the big price reduction is to clear the inventory before completely switching to 65nm but probably the main reason is that AMD is in big need for cash as we all know.

Heinz68
04-09-07, 08:56 AM
Here it is, as of today official by AMD

"AMD Processor Pricing
Effective April 9, 2007
Prices below are subject to change without notice. This listing reflects pricing for direct AMD customers in 1000-unit tray quantities, except when designated as PIB quantities."
http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/305/amdapril07ev0.jpg
For all the AMD Processor's Pricing go here:
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/VirtualPressRoom/0,,51_104_609,00.html
PS
Can't believe nobody is getting excited about this huge price reduction, after all it's also great news for all the Intel fanboys at this forum.

DiscipleDOC
04-09-07, 09:17 AM
PS
Can't believe nobody is getting excited about this huge price reduction, after all it's also great news for all the Intel fanboys at this forum.
We've been discussing this in another thread (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1220872#post1220872)...and heck yea I'm excited! ;)

By the way...I found the 6000 for $220 at Mwave! It's just too bad that they don't offer bundled hardware with it...but still I will take it! :thumbsup:

Redshirt #24
04-09-07, 09:33 AM
While part of me would love to pull the trigger on an X2/6000+ thanks to this, two things stop me dead in my tracks: the fact that I'd need to get new RAM and a new motherboard along with it (which tangentially means yet another full system do-over--and I'm just not that inclined right now), and the fact that it would at best be a stopgap until the Intel quad-cores drop in price or the Barcelona chips come out...whichever comes first.

(Okay, so maybe Supreme Commander would appreciate it. What else would?)

And so, I wait...

Xion X2
04-09-07, 09:44 AM

No need for that last comment; it's just going to start a flame war. Just state the price cuts and leave it at that.

And the "Intel fanboys" aren't too concerned about it because they're happy with their current platform. Intel had already scheduled a price cut around the middle of June for their processor line, but you're not likely to see anything change until then. Why would it? They still outperform the AMDs by a significant margin. AMD could drop the price of the X2 6000+ under 100$ right now, and many would still go Intel because they're faster.

nekrosoft13
04-09-07, 10:06 AM
AMD could drop the price of the X2 6000+ under 100$ right now, and many would still go Intel because they're faster.

true, even if 6000+ would be free at this time, i would have to change ram and board anyway, i still would go for C2D or quad. (and thats comming from current amd owner)

DiscipleDOC
04-09-07, 10:14 AM
true, even if 6000+ would be free at this time, i would have to change ram and board anyway, i still would go for C2D or quad. (and thats comming from current amd owner)

I'm sticking with AMD because of the investment I have in my rig. I really want to see what Barcelona has to offer when it comes out....

nekrosoft13
04-09-07, 10:23 AM
I'm sticking with AMD because of the investment I have in my rig. I really want to see what Barcelona has to offer when it comes out....

you can, i can't, i still have 939, so for me its new motherboard, ram and cpu.

when the time comes i will go with the fastest, and currently its intel.

Saintster
04-09-07, 10:44 AM
While part of me would love to pull the trigger on an X2/6000+ thanks to this, two things stop me dead in my tracks: the fact that I'd need to get new RAM and a new motherboard along with it (which tangentially means yet another full system do-over--and I'm just not that inclined right now), and the fact that it would at best be a stopgap until the Intel quad-cores drop in price or the Barcelona chips come out...whichever comes first.

(Okay, so maybe Supreme Commander would appreciate it. What else would?)

And so, I wait...

I agree. The fact that it would require a full system do over and close to 600.00 is keeping me away. I'm also waiting for the Barcelona or quad cores to drop in price and then I'll just build another rig and move over to Vista at the same time. Plus I've been on disability since Jan and may be out most of this year so that also plays a major part in this.

Saintster
04-09-07, 10:45 AM
:( i'm still s939

Nothing wrong with 939. I'm still running a 939 platform and I love it,still rocks.

DiscipleDOC
04-09-07, 10:46 AM
nm

Bearclaw
04-09-07, 11:31 AM
:( i'm still s939
Same here

methimpikehoses
04-09-07, 11:35 AM
Nothing wrong with 939. I'm still running a 939 platform and I love it,still rocks.

I would have stayed with AMD if they had continued the 939 line to the 6000's.
The upgrade was too expensive not to go Core 2.

brady
04-09-07, 11:36 AM
I wish I could get excited about this but like everyone else I'd need to pretty much rehaul my system to get the upgrade and if I were willing to do that I'd rather go with Intel right now.

Unless something major happens with AMD in the near future my next system will be Intel, which will be strange because it's been a long time since I've purchased an Intel chip...The P4 system in my sig was given to me.

grey_1
04-09-07, 11:39 AM
Same here, very happy with it.

Truth be told I can't help but feel things will slow a bit on the develpoment front within the next year or so, then I'll see what happens.

Either way it's all or none for me, cpu/mobo/ram.

nekrosoft13
04-09-07, 12:09 PM
i don't think it will slow down, intel will release 8-core chips ;)

Saintster
04-09-07, 02:25 PM
I would have stayed with AMD if they had continued the 939 line to the 6000's.
The upgrade was too expensive not to go Core 2.

I agree,no doubt if you were ready go go to ddr2 and a new socket intel with the performance and cost was a no brainer. For me personally i wanted to keep a rig more than 4 months and cash ran out. I was like may hoping they would go into the 3 plus ghz range.

iron99
04-09-07, 02:53 PM

Agreed :).

Athena
04-09-07, 03:13 PM
Just got the 5200 about 6 months ago on a super deal.
Nost for cheaper you can get the 6000. That just rocks!!
To bad I have no need to build another computer.
Maybe I can find some one to buy mine and I can make a new one!! :D

Heinz68
04-09-07, 03:14 PM
No need for that last comment; it's just going to start a flame war. Just state the price cuts and leave it at that.

And the "Intel fanboys" aren't too concerned about it because they're happy with their current platform. Intel had already scheduled a price cut around the middle of June for their processor line, but you're not likely to see anything change until then. Why would it? They still outperform the AMDs by a significant margin. AMD could drop the price of the X2 6000+ under 100$ right now, and many would still go Intel because they're faster.
I don't see any flame war, the only thing I see is price war and that sure benefits any computer user or fanboy. :)
About "fanboys", I believe we all are cheering for one company or other so by using the word I don't mean to insult anybody.

I must admit that I'm AMD fanboy but not a blind one, the bucks stops my fanboyism very fast.
My next complete upgrade is this fall and sure I'm going to get the best deal in my price range, that is for CPU up to $500. I do worry a lot that Intel might be the winner but that wont stop me from cheering for AMD.

I believe your statement that Intel outperform the AMD by "significant margin" is little blind fanboyism.

This post is mainly about the AMD X2 5600+ & X2 6000+ and I did link in my original post to AnandTech review. The X2 6000+ compared wery good to Intel's Core 2 Duo E6600 and was not far behind E6700
And here are today's best prices for the above CPU's:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ at Newegg.com (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103773&ATT=19-103-773&CMP=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r) $239.00
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 at Newegg.com (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819115003&ATT=19-115-003&CMP=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r) $308.00
Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 at Newegg.com (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819115002&ATT=19-115-002&CMP=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r) $509.00

Just to stop any further arguments:
I did also mention in the origional post that the E6600 would most likely overclock better but I don't think AMD needs to much worry about it, in my wild estimate 99.9% PC user do not overclock. For most people the bottom line is more important.

PS
Talking about "significant margin", we should not forget what the picture was not so far ago. more accuretely up to July 14th 2006
Dual-core desktop CPU bout: AMD vs. Intel (http://www.cnet.com.au/desktops/pcs/0,239029439,240058761-3,00.htm)
Intel should be embarrassed with its showing in round 2. At every turn, AMD beat it to the punch. Even the Athlon 64 X2 3800+, the lowest end of AMD's dual-core CPUs, is better suited to 3D gaming than Intel's highest-end Extreme Edition 840 CPU, which lost by a full 10 percent.

Now that's what I call significant margin, lets hope the great times are back soon again. :)

One more PS :)
Let as also not forget that none of the CPU was overclocked in the above test, if it was Intel would have been even much furhter behind.
At that time the Intel Dual-Core was better suited as heating device than CPU.

Xion X2
04-09-07, 04:31 PM
I don't see any flame war, the only thing I see is price war and that sure benefits any computer user or fanboy. :)
About "fanboys", I believe we all are cheering for one company or other so by using the word I don't mean to insult anybody.

Just FYI, but the term "fanboy" is derogatory about.. 99.9% of the time. It is typically used to refer to a person who feels insecure or threatened by a certain product and chooses to ignore any and all facts related to it. That doesn't describe me or many others on this forum. My last processor/platform was AMD, and I'm not "cheering" for either Intel or AMD at this point. I could care less who wins; I just want the faster platform.

I believe your statement that Intel outperform the AMD by "significant margin" is little blind fanboyism.

No it's not. There is simply no comparison between the processors. Your charts are not taking into account how much you can overclock the Core2Duos in relation to how little you can overclock an AMD. Clock for clock the Intels are faster, and I have yet to see anyone on this forum with an AMD chip over 3.2gHz while there are several with Core2Duos up around 3.6-3.8gHz. That is a "significant" performance gap and shows itself in benchmarks such as SuperPi and 3dMark.

This post is mainly about the AMD X2 5600+ & X2 6000+ and I did link in my original post to AnandTech review. The X2 6000+ compared wery good to Intel's Core 2 Duo E6600 and was not far behind E6700

.. at stock clocks. If you want to argue that the AMDs are close in gaming performance to the Intels at stock speeds, I'm not going to disagree with you too much, although I still feel that those benches don't tell the entire story. But what you seem to be overlooking--either on purpose because you own it, or perhaps not on purpose because you're not aware of it--is that AMD has been overclocking these latest chips from the factory so that they're already topped out when you receive them. That's why guys haven't been able to get more than a 200-400mhz overclock out of them.

Go ahead. Show me a recent high-end(5000+ and up) AMD processor that has OC'd more than 400mhz. They are based on the same architecture that has been hammered in benchmarks by the Core2Duos since their release. It's just a ploy by AMD to tide people over until they can put a new architecture on the market.

Meanwhile, you're comparing these to most Core2Duo chips that will overclock ~50% or 1200mhz with ease. And once you overclock, you get that "significant margin" that I was talking about.

Just to stop any further arguments:
I did also mention in the origional post that the E6600 would most likely overclock better but I don't think AMD needs to much worry about it, in my wild estimate 99.9% PC user do not overclock. For most people the bottom line is more important.

I think you're simplifying that far too much. Most everyone here who goes with one of these high-end processors overclocks, and I'd be willing to bet that plays out in most other places as well. Those who don't overclock typically don't go with such a high-end processor; they buy something that's more suited for everyday or business use. That is one of the reasons AMD's top of the line processor, the FX series, has had an unlocked multiplier. Most people who buy it are overclockers.

And there's no "most likely" in reference to whether or not an E6600 would overclock better. It would. Every time. I got an ordinary chip, and mine even does 3.6gHz with ease which is a 50% overclock.

Heinz68
04-09-07, 06:05 PM
Xion I'm going to make this reply very short and last one, otherwise with you the debate would never end.

A) I gave you the AnanTech benches which you believe "don't tell the entire story", my advice is go argue with AnanTech and few benches done by others, I have better things to do.

B) I talk about the difference if overclocked both in my original post and the reply to you, go back and read.
If you did read there was not need to go on and on about the overclock plus you was not talking about "significant margin" in overclocking, go back and read. What are trying to do, argue with yourself?

C) I did show you how more than well they compete price wise, I'm sure many even at this forum care about.

D) I did show you what I would consider a "significant margin" by showing you example what the situation was less than a year ago.

Wish you would stay away from my posts PERIOD

ViN86
04-09-07, 06:40 PM
as a side note, AM2 motherboards will be compatible with AM2+ CPU's (aka Barcelona). the only difference is that the AM2+ socket will have HyperTransport 3.0 whereas the current AM2 socket has HyperTransport 2.0.

so, goin this route may offer a good step into Barcelona when it's released :thumbsup:

as an addition... wow the price drop info digressed into a CPU flame war.... big surprise :|

ITS A CPU, WHO ****ING CARES. you guys argue about this **** about as much as the P&R forum argues about Christianity and Islam.

$n][pErMan
04-09-07, 06:44 PM
Im half tempted to buy a new AMD motherboard and CPU to put in my linux box at these prices...

DiscipleDOC
04-09-07, 06:54 PM
as a side note, AM2 motherboards will be compatible with AM2+ CPU's (aka Barcelona). the only difference is that the AM2+ socket will have HyperTransport 3.0 whereas the current AM2 socket has HyperTransport 2.0.

so, goin this route may offer a good step into Barcelona when it's released :thumbsup:

as an addition... wow the price drop info digressed into a CPU flame war.... big surprise :|

ITS A CPU, WHO ****ING CARES. you guys argue about this **** about as much as the P&R forum argues about Christianity and Islam.
Christianity is the ROXORS and Islam is the SUXORS! :p